Extended Universe - Greatest mods combined into one Theme

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Brone

Extended Universe - Greatest mods combined into one Theme

Post by Brone »

I had links referencing the threads the individual mods came from but I am not "allowed" to post links being a new registered member. Instead I have included the names of the mods which can be found in this modding forum section.

Anyways I saw a thread asking for someone to compile a few different mods together so I thought I would upload the current Theme I am using at the moment.

I just want to put this out there, I have done zero modding besides combining the mods that were favorable to me into one easy folder which you can just drag and drop into the customization directory.

Here are the mods and pieces that are in the Extended Universe theme.

The backbone of the theme is "Distant Worlds Extended Universe 1.0"

From there I just added the following mods into the folder.
"Das Chrome Blue Mod" (5/29/14 updated to version 1.3 with included cursors and flags)

"Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4"
I used most of the mod except anything that conflicted with Das's Mod.
Included are new Backdrop, Ruins, Landscapes, Restyled ship graphics, Improved planet graphics. (took out the improved stars due to a bug)

"[REL] Sound Effects Mod"
I really like the sound effects that Tampa_Gamer included in this mod so I added them to the Theme.

If you prefer the original sound effects you can delete all but "yorphaser" in the sound folder found inside of this download. "yorphaser" is part of Haree78's Distant Worlds Extended mod thats why you will need to keep that sound file.

Added
"Sirian's EVE Component Mod" (5/27/14 Fixed some components names, good spot ShaBahNakk)

"Sirian's Messages mod" (5/26/14)

"Darkspire's Mellow Beeps and Alerts"
Specifically his button1.wav, button2.wav and message_Alarm.wav

Installation of the Theme is very simple, Download the File below -> Extract the File -> Find your Distant Worlds Directory -> Open the Customization folder -> Drag and Drop the "Extended Universe" folder here.

Example directory for non-steam user
C:\Program Files (x86)\Distant Worlds Universe\Customization
Example directory for steam user
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Distant Worlds Universe\Customization

This is where the folder would be placed (right next to the other two folders "Distant Worlds Original" and "The Ancient Galaxy".

Again thank you so much Haree78, Das123 (I love your youtube channel), Martian, Sirian, Darkspire and Tampa_Gamer! I hope you guys don't mind I took the liberty of combining your mods into one and posting a simple download for someone that would rather not tinker with them individually.

Again not allowed to post a link due to the forum but the download is here if you add a www

.mediafire.com/?rzd14psyd9z131e

updated 5/29/2014
Brone

RE: Extended Universe - Greatest mods combined into one Theme

Post by Brone »

If someone that has the ability to post a link would link the mediafire DL location that would be much appreciated! I honestly wouldn't have posted this but I had already written the post only to find out at the last minute that I was not allowed to post links!
Brone

Post by Brone »

Thanks I felt that was really important to the mod makers so then people could read more into each individual mod and give the modders the attention they deserve!
Buio

Post by Buio »

I got something similar but has also added messages and components from Sirian.
tm.asp?m=3340798
tm.asp?m=3235195

Or from his webpage
http://stephan.gestalter.at/html/page_179_2.html
hewwo

Post by hewwo »

Great, I was going to do this for my next game, but you saved me the work. Thanks:)
Brone

Post by Brone »

Yea I like Sirian's components mod I know those EVE online icons all too well. I uploaded a new compiled folder that includes that mod and apparently the GEM mod is causing a problem with the stars so I deleted the stars folder also.
Euler

Post by Euler »

I tried combining all the mods as suggested above and most seem to be working but I noticed the planet graphics look funny (from the GEM Improve Planet graphics). It looks like 2 semicircles of different radius, like the planet is displayed twice at two different size settings. Has anyone else noticed this and is there a way to fix?

I realized this is a GEM question but since others are using this mod I wanted to know if I was doing something wrong or if there was a quick fix.

Thanks to the mod community for making this game even better!
Euler

Post by Euler »

Brone, I went to your direct link as suggested above but there is a capcha feature that is not working properly. It does not display a text string (although it requests that you type copy it) and instead times out after a few seconds.
dlcooper

Post by dlcooper »

The capcha feature didn't work for me using Google chrome but pulling up the same site on Internet explorer worked.
Euler

Post by Euler »

Update to my earlier message about the planet images. I determined that the problem I was having was due to the Overlay folder in the mod, not the planets. I removed the overlays folder from the theme and voila it works.

It would be nice to have the overlays back...it just seems like it is a scaling issue with the overlays being ~50% the size of the planets.
Upuauta

Post by Upuauta »

Thank you very much for doing this compilation and thanks to the original mod-makers. These kind of compilations will make Universe awesome.
Brone

Post by Brone »

Euler, its just the shadow and stars folders inside of the GEM mod that are causing problems with Distant Worlds. The shadow folder is what is causing the glitch you are referring to and the stars folder is causing all the stars to look like the same dark greyish object.

In the download above I use the actual Distant Worlds shadow folder (which is actually redundant) and I have removed the "stars" folder from the GEM mod as well. So everything should work perfectly normal in the compiled download Theme.

About the capcha, yea I also am having that issue... funny enough it doesn't work in Firefox for me but it does work with Chrome, go figure [:)]
Suikostinger

Post by Suikostinger »

I really really didn't want to make a thread for this....but I have Gems mods, Das resource mod, extended mod and sound effects. Only mod that's missing is for someone to create a mod that lets you RIGHT click on warning messages so that it immediately closes.
Brone

Post by Brone »

I have now included two sound files from Darkspire's "Mellow Beeps and Alerts". Also some sounds were just really loud in my opinion so I lowered a few effects by 5/10 db.
Mesthione

Post by Mesthione »

Great composition of mods, these were exactly what I was using during the Shadows era. Thanks for combining this into a theme that doesn't require any file overwrites!
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Note: Sirian's EVE Component Mod only goes up to component_129. The new DW Universe components folder goes up to Component_195 with a png and bmp versions of damaged and unbuilt. Are there additional components in Universe as compared to Shadows? I've already uninstalled the Matrix version and installed the Steam version so I can't compare.
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

ORIGINAL: Brone

I have now included two sound files from Darkspire's "Mellow Beeps and Alerts". Also some sounds were just really loud in my opinion so I lowered a few effects by 5/10 db.

There are updated sound sets in the thread I made for files, links in my signature.

Darkspire
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

I answered my own question. Components above 128 are not used in vanilla DW:U. Extended adds 129-138, the rest of them are unused.

However, I noticed something you might not be aware of. You are missing Eve components 114-128 and you didn't use 129 (you kept Extended's 129 green coloured one). I am not sure if this was intentional.
Brone

Post by Brone »

Thanks Darkspire I am personally using your ambient music and darkmap as well as all the other mods so good stuff! Also I should have clarified I lowered some of Tampa_Gamers sounds from his mod and I think button2.wav was lowered just a tad from your mellow sounds.

Thinking about it, should I include two folders? One with Darkspires Darkmap and one with the regular galaxy backdrop? I have a feeling thats going to be really preferenced based.

Oh and only 7 days until I can actually post a correct link.... lol yay [:D]

@ Moat_Man hmm let me check into that!

Ahh you know what happened, I grabbed the attachment from the matrix forum and not his website. So I was using v1.1 of his mod when he has a v1.2 out. Let me fix that now.

Return to “Design and Modding”