Carriers/Cap ships have size multiplier?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

swizzlewizzle

Carriers/Cap ships have size multiplier?

Post by swizzlewizzle »

I'm not sure if this was introduced in universe but... it seems I can build my capital ships to double size. Is this new or... is it something added to the ancient galaxy theme?
btd64

RE: Carriers/Cap ships have size multiplier?

Post by btd64 »

ORIGINAL: swizzlewizzle

I'm not sure if this was introduced in universe but... it seems I can build my capital ships to double size. Is this new or... is it something added to the ancient galaxy theme?

Did you research all of the construction levels? If you did, the ship can get pretty big. And if you research the right techs and make the right discoveries you can later in the game, build your own planet destroyers. GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
Draakon

Post by Draakon »

No, he is kinda right. I can build a bigger carrier then a bigger cruiser or destroyer or smaller military ship. At least that's the gist I got from playing the Ancient Galaxy map.
btd64

Post by btd64 »

Carriers build bigger anyway. two times I believe. GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
Spidey

Post by Spidey »

IIRC, carriers get to be 50% bigger but then 40% of the size have to be fighter bays. So if your size limit is 400, you can build a size 600 carrier but 240 units of size have to be fighter bays, leaving you with 360 units of size worth of ship that isn't fighter bays.

This doesn't apply to capital ships, though. At least not that I'm aware.
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

There are special rules on carrier designs. Look at the text at the top of the design screen.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

There is no size multiplier in the game other than the one already mentioned.

However....

It is possible to increase the size of ships each race can build with settings found in the race file.

'Ship Size Factor Civilian - resize factor for maximum civilian ship sizes
ShipSizeFactorCivilian ;1.0

'Ship Size Factor Military - resize factor for maximum military ship sizes
ShipSizeFactorMilitary ;1.0

These two settings will allow that specific race to build a ship up to the size you set. It is in a percentage where 1.0 = 100%. So, 1.2 would equal 120% of current construction yard build size (IE a 230 max becomes 276 for that specific race).

The limit on this setting is 0.7 to 2.0 (70% to 200%).

Also note, that if you plan to change this setting in a mod, you will also need to update your design templates for that race for the AI to take advantage of the size increase.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
pycco

Post by pycco »

there is a setting in the place next to the ship image when designing a ship to set its scale.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
-Mark Twain
Spidey

Post by Spidey »

ORIGINAL: pycco

there is a setting in the place next to the ship image when designing a ship to set its scale.
Yup. I'm pretty sure that's just for the image for the ship, though. As in, do you want your size 200 ship to look like it's size 400. Do you want your size 800 space port to look like a size 1800 badass. Things like that.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: Spidey

Yup. I'm pretty sure that's just for the image for the ship, though. As in, do you want your size 200 ship to look like it's size 400. Do you want your size 800 space port to look like a size 1800 badass. Things like that.

But absolutely no effect on your maximum build size. It just makes the graphic look bigger.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
pycco

Post by pycco »

did i misunderstand stand question was it asked about the actual size? though it was about the image size.

LOL ya my bad
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
-Mark Twain
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

did i misunderstand stand question was it asked about the actual size? though it was about the image size.
Either you did, or the rest of us did :)

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”