Distant Worlds: Universe not starting

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Cliffo

Distant Worlds: Universe not starting

Post by Cliffo »

I am a reasonable computer user with a fairly good quad core system using Windows 7. My system details are below.
I purchased Distant Worlds: Universe from Steam yesterday, downloaded and attempted to install it. I saw it mention briefly the installation of the Microsoft.NET framework and that was the last thing that happened. The program never did anything else after that. I gave it a reasonable time and then checked with Task Manager and saw nothing running.

I then removed the software and re-downloaded it with the result that nothing ever happened. No error messages, no windows, nothing...

At that point I checked the instructions at steam and followed their recommendations as below:
I manually installed the following:

...\Steamapps\common\Distant Worlds Universe\_CommonRedist\DirectX\Jun2010\DXSETUP.exe
...\Steamapps\common\Distant Worlds Universe\_CommonRedist\vcredist\2010\vcredist_x64.exe
...\Steamapps\common\Distant Worlds Universe\_CommonRedist\vcredist\2010\vcredist_x86.exe
...\Steamapps\common\Distant Worlds Universe\_CommonRedist\\DotNet\\4.5.1\\Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.1.cmd
...\Steamapps\common\Distant Worlds Universe\_CommonRedist\DotNet\4.0\dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe
...\Steamapps\common\Distant Worlds Universe\_CommonRedist\DotNet\3.5\dotNetFx35.exe
...\Steamapps\common\Distant Worlds Universe\_CommonRedist\XNA\4.0\xnafx40_redist.exe

Again there was no response from the program when I tried to run it. The only noticeable outcome from doing this is that a Windows Gadget became disabled, (I don't know why and had to re-enable it). I use the CPU monitoring gadget normally. Once again reading the recommendations from the forum at steam I checked that Windows Explorer and Media Player were both enabled. They are.

My system has no drivers that are out of date other than the BIOS which I am having some trouble accessing from Megatrends, and all the software, (other than the gadget, mentioned above), runs perfectly. I have some solid games and they all run perfectly. This is the only title that is not working at this time. These include Neverwinter, Warcraft, Civilization V, Bioshock, Space Engineers, Tomb Raider, Path of Exile, etc. All are running under Steam.

On the advice of Elliot in the Steam Forum, I checked for a crashdump under roaming\Code Force Limited\Distant Worlds\1.9.5.0. but found no such folder. I also have the Verdana font functioning on my computer. I did disable User Account Control as well to no effect.

I then got hold of the Distant Worlds Troubleshooting Guide and went through it step by step to no avail.

It could not install Framework v4.0 because I am running the later version v 4.5.1. I did a repair on this just in case. Other than that everything appears fine. All of my programs run fine, including some very demanding titles. Please note the following: When I click on the icon to run the program, is see no activity of any sort occurring, (other than steam opening first). Task manager shows no other program running, (other than Steam). I have checked that Windows firewall is allowing the program. It is OK. I also tried an install with it turned off, just in case. DXdiag reports no errors at all. The system (registry and junk), appear to be squeaky clean and I do put a lot of effort in keeping that way.

I am wondering if in fact I have a registration number problem here, but I have no way of verifying this with Steam. ALL of my other Steam programs as well as my stand-alone titles all work perfectly. It is only this one that I am having trouble with.

Thirteen hours of trying to get this to work, I have now run out of ideas. I hope you have something to contribute. I would love to try out this gorgeous new game.

SYSTEM DETAILS

OS Name: Win 7 professional
Version: 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 build 7601
Type: x64-based PC
Processor: Intel Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60Ghz, 3601 Mhz, 4 Cores, 8 Logical Processors
BIOS ver: American Megatrends Inc. 3305, 25/12/2012
SMBIOS: Ver 2.7
Hardware Abstraction Layer - ver. 6.17601.17514
Installed RAM: 16.0GB
Hard Drive: 2TB
Page File E:\pagefile.sys

I would very much appreciate any suggestions that you might have to help me as I am so keen to play this.
Please see my update below.....

Cliffo
elliotg

RE: Distant Worlds: Universe not starting

Post by elliotg »

Hi Cliffo

You could try the .Net cleanup tool: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/08/28/8904493.aspx

Also, just to be 100% clear: you have no DW_CrashDump.txt file at the following location: C:\Users\[YOURUSERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\Code Force Limited\Distant Worlds\1.9.5.0\

Is that correct? (you'll need to replace [YOURUSERNAME] in the path above with your windows account name, and this is assuming you installed to your C drive)

If nothing there, you could check your Windows event log for any messages relating to Distant Worlds: Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer > Windows Logs > Application

Thanks
Elliot
elliotg

Post by elliotg »

Hi again Cliffo

Thinking about this some more, your description definitely sounds like either an issue with your .Net installation, or something getting in the way of the installation process.

Do you have anti-virus/anti-malware software running. You could try disabling that while installing DW. Others have been reporting that Kaspersky mistakenly quarantines some DW files.

Hope that helps
Elliot
republicofpepsi

Post by republicofpepsi »

I am experiencing the same problem. Went to install Universe through Steam on a machine that had never had Distant Worlds installed. Its actually a new install of Windows 8.1 x64. If I navigate to the SteamApps folder and attempt to run autorun.exe a black window appears, but I hear the sound effect as if I'm hovering over the buttons to play, etc.

As for the suggestion above, a Codeforce directory does not appear in my Appdata\Roaming folder.
republicofpepsi

Post by republicofpepsi »

Maybe a fix? I installed .net 3.5 and now Distant Worlds Universe loads.

My OS: Windows 8.1 Pro x64

Edit: I should say, I ran the installer for the original Distant Worlds and as soon as .net and Directx installed, I tried Universe again and it worked.
elliotg

Post by elliotg »

ORIGINAL: republicofpepsi
I am experiencing the same problem. Went to install Universe through Steam on a machine that had never had Distant Worlds installed. Its actually a new install of Windows 8.1 x64. If I navigate to the SteamApps folder and attempt to run autorun.exe a black window appears, but I hear the sound effect as if I'm hovering over the buttons to play, etc.

As for the suggestion above, a Codeforce directory does not appear in my Appdata\Roaming folder.
Note that I don't think the Steam install of DW Universe actually uses the Quick Start Play menu (i.e. the autorun Matrix launcher). Instead you should double-click DistantWorlds.exe

Thanks
Elliot
Cliffo

Post by Cliffo »

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the suggestions so far. Unfortunately I still am getting nowhere fast.

I have tried to run Universe without Windows Essentials running. No go.
I have tested my .net Framework with Both Microsoft Framework tester and with netfx_setupverifier_new. Both indicate that I have all levels of framework and that there are no problems.

I have repeatedly double-clicked DistantWorlds.exe with no joy.
There is no error log and no attempt to run anything after starting the exe.
I have removed and downloaded the program 3 times. Same result each time.

My concern about using dotnetfx_cleanup_tool is very great. I have a substantial system that would leave me with a big rebuild problem if I did that! All other software that I install works fine. It is only with this title that I have an issue.
Daedalus0815

Post by Daedalus0815 »

Dear Cliffo,
just wanted to let you know: you are not alone.
I was really looking forward to playing this presumeably great game but am left stranded with exactly the same description of events you have experienced. I tried all the same "solutions" to no avail. Like you I have Win7 running and the same problem with the missing code force limited folder. It just doesn't exist and ergo no dumpfile. Am really sad to have thrown 50€ down the drain apparently.
Spacecadet

Post by Spacecadet »

You looked here (.... is your Computer name):

Users\....\AppData\Roaming\CodeForceLimited\Distant Worlds\1.9.5.0\SavedGames

I saw elsewhere that someone had to set their Folders option to "Show Hidden Files/Folders" and then a Restart (not sure why a Restart was needed) before they found them.
CPU: Intel 2700K
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: GTX 970
Res: 1920 x 1200

Daedalus0815

Post by Daedalus0815 »

Like I said: the whole folder is not there, not just the file. There is no Code Force Limited in ...\Roaming and it's not hidden either. Why should a game folder be hidden anyways...
gyrospeck

Post by gyrospeck »

This game works fine on my Desktop PC, but I am having the same problem on my Laptop. I also have tried many solutions and could not get the game to work. After attempting to launch the game, nothing happens. Also using W8.1.
Raap

Post by Raap »

Windows hides some (sub)folders to protect their content from 'ignorant' users. AppData happens to be one of those hidden folders. Anyway, if it's not there after showing all folders, just do it the easy way. Fire up Distant Worlds and press Load Game, then press the directory listing in the pop up window to see where it's really at.
Spacecadet

Post by Spacecadet »

Things I've seen mentioned for checking/trying.

IE needs to be installed
Windows Media Player needs to be installed/enabled

May need to enter exceptions in you Virus Protection for DW
May need to deactivate Virus Protection to install DW
Try Install as Admin

May Need to manually install .Net 3.5 and .Net 4.5
May Need to manually install the XNA Framework

Daedalus0815

Post by Daedalus0815 »

@Raap: Ehm, you DO realize that the easy way, starting up DW, is the whole problem, yes? ^^
@Spacecadet: I have tried doing all that.
Spacecadet

Post by Spacecadet »

ORIGINAL: Daedalus0815

Ehm, you DO realize that the easy way, starting up DW, is the whole problem, yes? ^^

Yes, from what I'm seeing it's looking like some items aren't being installed for some reason.

These are some things to look at in that regards.

It's an odd problem, so it may require an odd solution :)

Spacecadet

Post by Spacecadet »

Do you have the Distant Worlds Icon on your Desktop?

If you do, when you do a right click and look at properties what does it show as the Target?

Daedalus0815

Post by Daedalus0815 »

That doesn't apply. My desktop shortcut is just a weblink to: steam://rungameid/261470. Finding my game directory is not the problem. I know where my game data is located, but that's not where the dumpfile lies or according to other peoples' posts is supposed to be. I agree, there has to be something wrong with the installation itself... my game folder ist about 1,3 gb big.
Raap

Post by Raap »

@Raap: Ehm, you DO realize that the easy way, starting up DW, is the whole problem, yes? ^^
@Spacecadet: I have tried doing all that.
Gah sorry mate, lost track of the thread subject.

I'm guessing the folder isn't actually created before the first time you run DW. An easy check would be to just search the entire Users folder for "Distant Worlds", which should lead you to the directory if it exists anywhere there.
Spacecadet

Post by Spacecadet »

That doesn't apply. My desktop shortcut is just a weblink to: steam://rungameid/261470. Finding my game directory is not the problem. I know where my game data is located, but that's not the dumpfile lies or according to other people posting is supposed to be.

Have you tried doing a search for ? :

*dump.txt

Daedalus0815

Post by Daedalus0815 »

But of course I have.

Return to “Tech Support”