It's been a wild ride...

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

midnight_mangler

It's been a wild ride...

Post by midnight_mangler »

Now that we've reached the end of the road for DW 1 as it were (although the modding scene will not doubt keep it vibrant for years to come) I wanted to say thanks to Eliot and Erik for taking on this wild ride over the last few years.

There's no doubt that DW is a significant landmark in the 4X genre, and equally no doubt that the larger exposure that steam provides will allow many more gamers to experience this jewel.

Now, let me get my teeth into Universe...
Erik Rutins

RE: It's been a wild ride...

Post by Erik Rutins »

Thanks Midnight and this is just the start of a new chapter, the ride continues. [8D]
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
ravincravin

Post by ravincravin »

Not to mention, thanks to Eliot and Matrix for the generous upgrade discount given to all of us that have been supporting Distant Worlds from day one. $10 to upgrade, can't beat it.
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

ORIGINAL: ravincravin

Not to mention, thanks to Eliot and Matrix for the generous upgrade discount given to all of us that have been supporting Distant Worlds from day one. $10 to upgrade, can't beat it.
Well said Rick!
|
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
Castinar

Post by Castinar »

Been a great game for years....thanks for the many hours of lost productivity....wait, I'm retired, I don't have productivity! Thanks for the hours of fun!!! Looking forward to the future!
pycco

Post by pycco »

ORIGINAL: ravincravin

yup well said
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
-Mark Twain
Cauldyth

Post by Cauldyth »

Best space 4X game yet made. And I truly mean that, I'm not just saying it because these are the DW forums. [:D]

Looking forward to what you guys have in the future for both DW and DW2!
elliotg

Post by elliotg »

Thanks for the comments. It's been a lot of work, but things have certainly come a long way :)

I'm sure we've still got a bit more to do on Universe to make it 'just right', but after that there'll be plenty more DW to come... :)

Elliot
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

ORIGINAL: elliotg

Thanks for the comments. It's been a lot of work, but things have certainly come a long way :)

I'm sure we've still got a bit more to do on Universe to make it 'just right', but after that there'll be plenty more DW to come... :)

Elliot

Kudos Elliot Gibbs! It's been an honor watching you create Distant Worlds from the start. From
all of us in the United Federation Of Planets:

WELL DONE ELLIOT! [&o][&o][&o]
Attachments
RikerClapping.gif
RikerClapping.gif (261.38 KiB) Viewed 324 times
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
Data

Post by Data »

Let me second that in full [&o]
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
StarLab

Post by StarLab »

I came in during Legends. Even that much has been quite the ride. [8D]

[&o] <- Pretty much says it all... [:D]
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

Some old memories of this game.

In what may have been my very first game in vanilla. Being attacked by the AI, they attack my colony. "Fine" I thought, I had a transport or two with troops. The transports were stuck in docking queue while the colony was being captured.

The vanilla bug where ships under construction sometimes got "unstuck" and drifted into space in half finished state. Scrapping time.

In ROTS having almost every game end due to repeated crashes, but never before the game was mature enough to having given up most of the fun it had in store.

In ROTS, before spheres of influence. Start in a system of very few resources, fill out the very close system with 10+ mines. After some time have some other empire colonize the mining system, and be pissed because of "bases in our territory". I was more pissed due to them encroaching on my capital, and they did not do so for long.

The joy of seeing a proper AI colony attack for the first time in the first legends game.

The joy of beating the pirates in the first shadows game.
Tophat1815

Post by Tophat1815 »

It's a marathon not a sprint! Very,very good work sir!
btd64

Post by btd64 »

ORIGINAL: elliotg

Elliot

And the journey continues............
GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
elanaagain