Resources on starting planets

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Osito

Resources on starting planets

Post by Osito »

Does anyone know of a way to restrict the resources you have on starting planets? For example, even if you start on a harsh homeworld, you're still given a good supply of over 30 resources. Your starting luxuries are well over the amount needed to quickly reach 100% development, and there are plenty of minerals.

There's a Y/N flag in resources.txt called 'IsImportantPreWarpResource' which I thought might restrict resources if set to N, but it doesn't seem to have that effect.
Osito
joeyeti

RE: Resources on starting planets

Post by joeyeti »

Not sure, but perhaps in-game through the editor?
Joe
Osito

Post by Osito »

Sadly not, although your post has alerted me to a lack of clarity in my own post.

You can change the mineable starting resources on the planet, but I haven't found any option to change the starting resources in your planet's cargo space. It was those stored resources that I was referring to.
Osito
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: Osito

Does anyone know of a way to restrict the resources you have on starting planets? For example, even if you start on a harsh homeworld, you're still given a good supply of over 30 resources. Your starting luxuries are well over the amount needed to quickly reach 100% development, and there are plenty of minerals.

There's a Y/N flag in resources.txt called 'IsImportantPreWarpResource' which I thought might restrict resources if set to N, but it doesn't seem to have that effect.

That Important Prewarp flag ensures you will have a source of the resource in the home system. Basically this is a way to flag any resource that is vitally important to be able to progress the game.

If you are going to mod in new resources that are essential to build ship components in the pre-warp time period, then this flag should be set to Y. Otherwise you may get stuck unable to build new ships.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Osito

Post by Osito »

ORIGINAL: Shark7
ORIGINAL: Osito

That Important Prewarp flag ensures you will have a source of the resource in the home system. Basically this is a way to flag any resource that is vitally important to be able to progress the game.

If you are going to mod in new resources that are essential to build ship components in the pre-warp time period, then this flag should be set to Y. Otherwise you may get stuck unable to build new ships.

That's interesting, thank you.
Osito

Return to “Design and Modding”