[Video] How to install mods in DW Universe (Steam and matrix versions)

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

DasTactic

[Video] How to install mods in DW Universe (Steam and matrix versions)

Post by DasTactic »

A tutorial that shows how to install mods (themes) into the game and also how to combine graphic mods with conversion mods.

How to install mods in Distant Worlds

Here are the written instructions...

Installation:
1. Download the mod(s) you are interested in.

2. Open the zip file containing the mod.

3. Extract the files into the 'Customization' directory in Distant Worlds Universe.
For Steam users this will be in C:\%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Steam\steamapps\common\Distant Worlds Universe\Customization.
For Matrix users this will be in C:\Matrix Games\Distant Worlds Universe\Customization.

4. Start the game and select your desired theme from the menu.

Combining with other mods:

Generally a conversion mod (where races, components, tech trees etc) will not be compatible with other conversion mods. But there may be instances where you wish to add a graphic mod (such as icons and interface elements) to a conversion mod.

1. Download the conversion mod you want to use and place it into the Customization directory.

2. Download and install the graphic mod pack as per the instructions above.

3. Copy the 'help' and 'images' directories into the root folder of the target mod.

4. If you are asked to replace files then be careful you aren't overwriting something that the mod wants to use.
Terl

RE: [Video] How to install mods in DW Universe (Steam and matrix versions)

Post by Terl »

Awesome, thanks Das! Love your Let's Play videos too.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Thanks for this Das! You should upload this to Steam as well if you haven't already.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
DasTactic

Post by DasTactic »

I forgot to upload it to Steam but have done so now. :)
Cadune

Post by Cadune »

Needs the word version too from the other post.
Verjigorm

Post by Verjigorm »

Nice vid... [&o]
[center]Lost dark soul, imprisoned abysmal desire
plunged in flames, gone through hellfire[/center]
Cotillion

Post by Cotillion »

I'm having trouble with the Steam version of the game and getting themes to override the default UI. It's happened with Das' Chrome UI mod where the buttons atop the minimap refused to change, and now I'm trying the StuffandBits mod and nothing on the UI is changing. I'm placving these mods into the Customization folder and selecting them in game. The game is even telling me the theme is installed at the top, but still when I load a tutorial or a new game, nothing is different.

Can anyone who has installed either the Chrome UI or StuffnBits mod on the Steam version please tell me I'm crazy?
ardonquen

Post by ardonquen »

Hey guys, I'm having some problems getting a mod to work. It's very basic: it just replaces the human ship images with another set posted on this forum. Like the guy above, I've placed it in the Customization folder and selected it in-game... it tells me the theme is active. But when I load into the game, none of the added content is there. It's especially confusing since I used this mod on an earlier version of the game, and just copy/pasted it into the Steam folder of DW: Universe.

Are there any extra things I need to put in the mod folder to get it to work, beyond just the stuff I want to replace? I gave Distant Worlds Extended a go to see if anything was working, and although I didn't start a game, all the new races and stuff were in the game setup screen.

I can get stuff working if I put them directly into the game folders, but obviously this is a bit messy and isn't the best solution!

EDIT: Welp, I fixed it. Turns out Universe mods have to use a different file structure to what older mods did. Instead of just having 'shipimages' at the root of your mod directory, you have to copy the exact structure the proper game uses. Which makes more sense. Derp. Erm. Nothing to see here... >_>

Return to “Design and Modding”