Would love to hear more about AI improvements

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

PaulWRoberts

Would love to hear more about AI improvements

Post by PaulWRoberts »

What's improved in the Universe AI?

Thanks!
OzoneGrif_slith

RE: Would love to hear more about AI improvements

Post by OzoneGrif_slith »

I don't know if it's only a feeling or if the developer worked hard on the AI... but everything feels smoother and more coherent.

In previous extensions I was always pestering because the AI did something stupid, or didn't do something it should have done.

Now it seems to react accordingly. It picks its targets smartly, the logistic seems to work even with distant bases, and the ships obey your orders and won't suddenly decide to do something stupid in your back.
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

AI improvements are #1, #2 and #3 in my wishlist so I would also like to know more.
elliotg

Post by elliotg »

I know I'm going to miss a lot of stuff, but this might give you some idea of the improvements:

Because we made most of the game elements moddable, we took that opportunity to also improve the AI with each item, in fact we often had to improve it anyway, to support modded versions of the core game elements.

For example with resources now being moddable we optimized the resource transport system: freighters are now better at fulfilling resource needs, distributing things around your empire.

With the tech trees now being moddable we had to improve the research pathing, so the AI is now better at targeting research projects. We'll continue looking at this, and will probably add further support and features on this post-release, but this is now better than in Shadows.

Fleets of your allies (MDP) will now sometimes coordinate their attacks with your fleets against common enemies, i.e. if you are both at war with the same enemy then they will sometimes send nearby spare fleets in attack against targets that your fleets are heading towards. Of course, the AI empires can do this against you as well...

There's a lot of stuff that's been improved, these are just some examples off the top of my head. I think you'll find the gameplay more challenging and enjoyable.

Elliot
OzoneGrif_slith

Post by OzoneGrif_slith »

Fleets of your allies (MDP) will now sometimes coordinate their attacks with your fleets against common enemies,
Right! I've seen that happen and I was really impressed. I ordered my fleet to attack a target. I was passing close to another civilization and I suppose then "seen me" on their radars. And they joined in the attack.

That was really cool! :)

Oh BTW, there is still that problem with resupply ship. If you add them to a fleet, they will just never Deploy when you order them. You also can't set a Deployed resupply ship as base for your fleet. Two things I've been waiting for a fix since Legends :(
Spacecadet

Post by Spacecadet »

ORIGINAL: elliotg

I know I'm going to miss a lot of stuff, but this might give you some idea of the improvements:

Because we made most of the game elements moddable, we took that opportunity to also improve the AI with each item, in fact we often had to improve it anyway, to support modded versions of the core game elements.

For example with resources now being moddable we optimized the resource transport system: freighters are now better at fulfilling resource needs, distributing things around your empire.

With the tech trees now being moddable we had to improve the research pathing, so the AI is now better at targeting research projects. We'll continue looking at this, and will probably add further support and features on this post-release, but this is now better than in Shadows.

Fleets of your allies (MDP) will now sometimes coordinate their attacks with your fleets against common enemies, i.e. if you are both at war with the same enemy then they will sometimes send nearby spare fleets in attack against targets that your fleets are heading towards. Of course, the AI empires can do this against you as well...

There's a lot of stuff that's been improved, these are just some examples off the top of my head. I think you'll find the gameplay more challenging and enjoyable.

Elliot

I wasn't sure if this was specific to the AG Theme or it applied to regular games as well, so I never specifically mentioned it.

As for AI improvements . . . I think we had a pretty good Beta Team and we kept Elliot on his Toes [:D]

CPU: Intel 2700K
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: GTX 970
Res: 1920 x 1200

Icemania

Post by Icemania »

Thanks Elliot. And to the Testing Team.

PaulWRoberts

Post by PaulWRoberts »

Glad to hear that the AI got some love!

I'd love to hear any more details and anecdotes.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”