Planetary bombardment, railguns and shields

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Raap

Planetary bombardment, railguns and shields

Post by Raap »

This new AI has actually made me desperate and forced me to turn towards planetary bombardment. Which is a testament to its effectiveness I guess, since I've never used it before. At any rate, I noticed my bombardment was having no effect, which is when I discovered this sly bastard had planetary shields at all his colonies.

Figuring I was being clever, I researched and equipped railguns for bombardment instead, since they supposedly penetrate shields. However, I'm still not doing any bombardment damage.

As I see it, there are two possibilities; either they only penetrate shields when it comes to actual ship-vs-ship combat, or the partial penetration rounds the '1m bombard damage' down to 0.

Does anyone have any idea which it is? Will researching the '2m bombard damage' railgun make a difference? Or will I be forced to find a planet destroyer to take care of this?
elliotg

RE: Planetary bombardment, railguns and shields

Post by elliotg »

Glad you're getting a challenge Raap :)

Planetary Shields will stop anything, at least anything short of a planet destroyer. So railguns don't help you with bombardment here. You'll just have to invade their colony.

Elliot
Spacecadet

Post by Spacecadet »

I think it takes a while for the damage/shield penetration to accrue to a point where it exceeds population growth (don't forget about that).

I haven't used it, but had it used against me on planets with shields.

Usually what happens is that eventually the Planetary Shield Facility will eventually get destroyed, then all bets are off.
CPU: Intel 2700K
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: GTX 970
Res: 1920 x 1200

OzoneGrif_slith

Post by OzoneGrif_slith »

Don't worry Raap, the password of the shield is...

1... 2.... 3.... 4.... and 5...
Raap

Post by Raap »

Thanks Elliot! And yeah, nice job on the AI. I must admit my interest level was falling off a bit for the game, for the simple reason that it always became a cakewalk when you reached a certain tech level. Here I had already passed that tech level, so even though this guy was at 80k firepower and I only had 60k, I figured his colonies were already mine. Now I'm down from 20 to 4 colonies and in the red ^__^

SpaceCadet, the planetary shield doesn't appear to be taking any damage, so I don't think you can destroy it from orbit. You can probably destroy it by invading, but this guy has all the defensive facilities and a huge defensive force on all (my former) colonies. Would take me years to build up an invasion force big enough to stand a chance.
CyclopsSlayer

Post by CyclopsSlayer »

Damn the AI a threat again?!? SWEET!
FireLion1983

Post by FireLion1983 »

Suddenly even more excited :P
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

ORIGINAL: Raap

SpaceCadet, the planetary shield doesn't appear to be taking any damage, so I don't think you can destroy it from orbit. You can probably destroy it by invading, but this guy has all the defensive facilities and a huge defensive force on all (my former) colonies. Would take me years to build up an invasion force big enough to stand a chance.
I am not sure if there is anything there, but it could be worth to look at the sabotage missions for agents.

Otherwise, you could give him a reason to start loading new troops. Kill his transports as they fill up. The colonies will probably be emptied to low levels after a while. Just make sure to give them time to load troops, and repeat until troop amounts are reasonably low.

Or if you wreck his economy, you may make him retire them.

I think massive troop counts on colonies that are not the capital, are due to invasion troops never having been picked up. It can make reconquering lost territory somewhat annoying.

FireStarterXoX69

Post by FireStarterXoX69 »

I forgot what the units are called, maybe special ops, but land a couple of them on that planet and they'll take care of the planetary shields within seconds then proceed with your bombing if you'd like.
Spacecadet

Post by Spacecadet »

ORIGINAL: Raap

Thanks Elliot! And yeah, nice job on the AI. I must admit my interest level was falling off a bit for the game, for the simple reason that it always became a cakewalk when you reached a certain tech level. Here I had already passed that tech level, so even though this guy was at 80k firepower and I only had 60k, I figured his colonies were already mine. Now I'm down from 20 to 4 colonies and in the red ^__^

I know I've had quite a few Planetary Shields destroyed, but I always thought it was a result of a "lucky" shot or something from Bombardment.

I never really had a chance to look into that too deeply as I usually had way to much other stuff going on [;)]

. . . oh, and I have to add . . . the version you're seeing is toned down from what we were initially seeing [X(]

Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Very glad to hear that you are enjoying the upgraded AI. [8D]

Special Forces will give you a chance to destroy those shields indeed.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
pycco

Post by pycco »

has anyone seen the A.I. use tanks or special forces in invasions?
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
-Mark Twain
Spacecadet

Post by Spacecadet »

ORIGINAL: pycco

Everything, as long as they've Researched it.

Bebop Cola

Post by Bebop Cola »

ORIGINAL: OzoneGrif

Don't worry Raap, the password of the shield is...

1... 2.... 3.... 4.... and 5...
1, 2, 3, 4, 5? That's amazing! I've got the same combination on my luggage!
pycco

Post by pycco »

ORIGINAL: Spacecadet

ORIGINAL: pycco

Everything, as long as they've Researched it.

awesome thanks for the info
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
-Mark Twain

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”