Will you be playing this on Steam?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Animorganimate

Will you be playing this on Steam?

Post by Animorganimate »

Now that we have the option to play on Steam, is that the path you'll pick? Or will you continue to play the Distant Worlds we know and love DRM free? Will playing it on Steam hamper some of the mods we can use, or alternately, will those who decide not to use Steam miss out on some valuable Workshop add-ons? Let me know what you're thinking.
...methodical, exacting, and worst of all, patient.
FireLion1983

RE: Will you be playing this on Steam?

Post by FireLion1983 »

There's no DRM in the Steam version.
Animorganimate

Post by Animorganimate »

Steam is DRM.
TonyAAA

Post by TonyAAA »

ORIGINAL: Animorganimate

Steam is DRM.

Agreed.

The serial numbers Matrix uses are also a form of DRM.

OzoneGrif_slith

Post by OzoneGrif_slith »

I'll play it on Steam because it gives nice informations about updates and news (if the developer publish them on Steam of course).

Steam just makes everything smoother.

But I'll keep the install and key files on my backup, just in case, because yes, Steam is a DRM.
Osito

Post by Osito »

Not unless there is Steam Workshop support. If they did that, I'd probably use Steam. Otherwise, I don't see the need for it.
Osito
OzoneGrif_slith

Post by OzoneGrif_slith »

Not unless there is Steam Workshop support.

Good point. I would love to see Workshop implemented too.
Animorganimate

Post by Animorganimate »

ORIGINAL: Osito

Not unless there is Steam Workshop support. If they did that, I'd probably use Steam. Otherwise, I don't see the need for it.

This is what I was thinking. So I take it there hasn't been any word on Workshop support?
FireLion1983

Post by FireLion1983 »

Steam is DRM.

If you say so. [:)]
Osito

Post by Osito »

ORIGINAL: Osito

This is what I was thinking. So I take it there hasn't been any word on Workshop support?

Erik said this on the Steam forum:

"Also possible, but we're going to make a decision after the release based on what the Distant Worlds community wants. The Universe theme system makes sharing mods pretty straightforward and we want to take the non-Steam as well as Steam players into account."

And this:

"We'd like to do it in theory, I just don't want to promise until we've finished evaluating it here. As long as it's not an enormous job and doesn't mess up support for mods outside of Steam, we'd be happy to add it in."
Osito
Breet

Post by Breet »

I know I'm using steam, just for the fact I like to keep things all in the one place (I also ran the quickstart thought a shortcut there most times). Also means friends can nag me w/o having to call me to say 'hey xxxx in game yyyy now'.

As for the whole DRM thing, my guess it will be like other games. It will download the game through steam, that's it. Updates will be done through it's minilauncher (if it still has) and the launcher/game itself can just be run from the steam download directory without steam being open (quite a few games already do this).

Edit: Yep just downloaded through steam. Running the autorun.exe (the launcher, btw windows 8.1 this was a solid black block) or running DistantWorlds.exe didn't launch steam so you won't need it open/connected to play
Tycow

Post by Tycow »

Yep, I'll be using the Steam version. [:)]
pycco

Post by pycco »

as was recently pointed out to me using the steam version will give the developers info on who, when and how many are playing. the work shop i would not use due to there terms of use.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
-Mark Twain
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: Tony_A

Steam is DRM.

Agreed.

The serial numbers Matrix uses are also a form of DRM.

True, but they are much less obtrusive than Steam.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Terl

Post by Terl »

Yes, I like Steam and have no issues with it. I bought DW and all expansions so far and for $10 more after the discount coupon I got this one too .... I am a happy camper, downloading now [:)]
Grotius

Post by Grotius »

I like Steam achievements, and I like the ease of using Steam to install on laptops as well as my PC, so yes, I'll be using Steam.
Animorganimate

Post by Animorganimate »

ORIGINAL: pycco

as was recently pointed out to me using the steam version will give the developers info on who, when and how many are playing. the work shop i would not use due to there terms of use.

Well that's interesting. If me playing the Steam version somehow helps the developers, I may have to reconsider. I love this game and want to support it any way I can.
towerbooks3192

Post by towerbooks3192 »

ORIGINAL: OzoneGrif
Not unless there is Steam Workshop support.

Good point. I would love to see Workshop implemented too.

This for convenience but I love my games from matrix drm free and when I will get my physical copy I would tuck it in bed and give it a goodnight kiss every night.

but additional feature of seeing how many hours you have sunk on the matrix version would ve most welcome though.
et ignobiles oblivio
Iwbtone

Post by Iwbtone »

I want to say no difference there in play.

For me , except some multiplay games fixed by steam, steam most attracting me is steamcloud and workshop, and mention of trophies, I prefer ms live achievements to steam's actually.

So generally, steam need you to start its client firstly, then go for it if you want steam achievements.
If you just want to play game straightly, go drm-free version because it doesn't need internet connection.
Breet

Post by Breet »

I don't want to be the one that burst peoples 'I hate drm/steam' bubble here but for Distant Worlds Universe, all it's doing is the same as matrix games (in a dumbed down form)
All your doing is registering a key to your steam account (same way it does with your matrix account)
You have a choice of having steam running after you have downloaded. It isn't required to play (as Erik said in another post)
Just copy a short cut to the DistantWorlds.exe file and you wont need to have steam open/running again when you play it.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”