Tutorials Broken!!!

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Werewolf13

Tutorials Broken!!!

Post by Werewolf13 »

[rant on]Tutorials??? Tutorials not only tell you what to do but how to do it and then give you an actual chance to do it.

The DW:Universe tutorials???? Yeah right.

Starting off with the pre-warp tutorial. Popup says build an orbital space port. Doesn't tell you how to do it just do it. So I figure out how to do it. At this point - no biggy. But after 10 times out the gate and 10 times the darned pirates coming in and blowing the thing up before its even finished being built and even after I agreed to pay protection money!

Go ahead! Tell me the tutorials ain't broke.

[rant off]

DW:Universe looks like it might be a very fine 4X game. I'm starting to wonder if looks might not be deceiving.
Freedom is not free! Nor should it be. For men being men will neither fight for nor value that which is free.

Michael Andress
pycco

RE: Tutorials Broken!!!

Post by pycco »

Try it with out tutorial turn off pirates entell you are more comfortable with the game. jump in enjoy the scope and mass of the game. watch you tube videos.

pirates are evil that's why they are called pirates. try building a smaller space port, or starting in non prewarp era. the game has a HUGE learning curve. play on easy do not get discouraged your difficulty's will only make your victory that much sweeter

small space port design for prewarp would only have what is needed no weapons no defense no dodads or anything just basic requirements. should build pretty fast then civilian sector will build mining ships.

what i do is pay them and not build any military ships drop taxes as low as i can afford too increase population growth. tech some shinny new weapons blow up pirates, usually its an epic bout just trying to survive.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
-Mark Twain
Werewolf13

Post by Werewolf13 »

Thanks pycco. I'll give that a try.

Still - the tutorials have issues, though.

EDITED to ADD: Issue resolved. Seems one must just suck it up and pay the pirates. Thanks for the help pycco and I'm still going to try out some of your suggestions.
Freedom is not free! Nor should it be. For men being men will neither fight for nor value that which is free.

Michael Andress
pycco

Post by pycco »

any time werewolf1326, feel free to ask more if you need to i had a lot of help from a few of my steam friends mainly Hawaawa, and Resok. they answered hundreds of my questions. just passing along the favor.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
-Mark Twain
Spacecadet

Post by Spacecadet »

ORIGINAL: Werewolf1326

Thanks pycco. I'll give that a try.

Still - the tutorials have issues, though.

EDITED to ADD: Issue resolved. Seems one must just suck it up and pay the pirates. Thanks for the help pycco and I'm still going to try out some of your suggestions.

Yeah, this is one reason I hate Pirates [:)]
CPU: Intel 2700K
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: GTX 970
Res: 1920 x 1200

Darkbridger

Post by Darkbridger »

Ok, having just installed and started this game, I have to agree here. Now, bear in mind, I've played hours upon hours of similar games... Master of Orion, Spaceward Ho!, Stars, Space Empires, Endless Space, etc, etc. I'm not unfamiliar with the basics of this type of game. Not only does the first Tutorial NOT show you how to actually build a space port, even when I found a way to do so, I only have 1 option to build, the Medium Space Port. Why can't I build the Small or Large one, both of which are listed in the starting design list? If there are additional steps needed to make those available, then the tutorial should probably be pointing them out. Maybe this is covered in the Ships and Bases tutorial later? If so, why am I even given the option to "Play" if I don't have enough information to complete the most basic step of the game? Are these tutorials only supposed to be "read" and not "played"? If so, I am not sure I understand the point of having them in-game versus just being entries in the Galactopedia. It's nice that there is zooming and panning to show the environment, but the tutorial should be showing people how to use the UI, which is obviously where most of the complexity resides. Anyhow, back to the tutorials for now to start climbing that learning curve.

EDIT: Ok tutorial 2 covers much of the basics of the UI. I am still confused by the option to "Play" in these first few Tutorials. I am still not sure how to build the small base instead of the medium one.
pycco

Post by pycco »

you have to design a space port. i would suggest just jumping in to a game, turn off pirates and go for it.
-Mark Twain
FireLion1983

Post by FireLion1983 »

The tutorials are pretty good, just save the prewarp one for last. It really shouldn't be first in the list.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”