Should I Purchase DW:U

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

mashkis

Should I Purchase DW:U

Post by mashkis »

I am wondering if it is worth upgrading to DW:U. I have all of the expansions and I am not a modder and do not plan on doing any modding.
I also do not sure the game editor to make any changes.

Is this expansion worth it for someone like me?

Can I still install mods that others develop with DW:U without having Universe expansion pack?

pycco

RE: Should I Purchase DW:U

Post by pycco »

there is a lot of upgrades in a lot of areas,the ai,the ancient galaxy and mods of course. BTW its 10$ if you own all other expansions.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
-Mark Twain
AminMaalouf

Post by AminMaalouf »

I am positive with it so far.
Cauldyth

Post by Cauldyth »

ORIGINAL: mashkis
Can I still install mods that others develop with DW:U without having Universe expansion pack?

No, the game needed to be re-architected to allow for the expanded modding.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

I am wondering if it is worth upgrading to DW:U. I have all of the expansions and I am not a modder and do not plan on doing any modding.
I also do not sure the game editor to make any changes.

Is this expansion worth it for someone like me?

Universe has more than just modding, but it is also a unified release level for future improvements and support, so I would recommend upgrading if you can. If you have all the expansions, the download version during the release promotion will only cost you $10 and it will also allow you to use all the mods others develop for Universe (because of the greatly expanded modding capabilities, these are not backwards compatible).

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Atrocities

Post by Atrocities »

Should you purchase DWU - YES. If you enjoy 4x gaming.... YES.
Spacecadet

Post by Spacecadet »

Well, I think there is supposed to be only one more Patch for Shadows, everything else will be Universe.

Also, I would think any Mods going forward are going to be based on Universe since it encompasses everything.
CPU: Intel 2700K
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: GTX 970
Res: 1920 x 1200

OzoneGrif_slith

Post by OzoneGrif_slith »

I think yes, you should buy it. It's amazing and I really enjoyed my first hours of gaming with it.

Or maybe you can wait for the first mods to be released by fans. The game will become astounding then. :)
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

If you are still enjoying the game, yes - certainly for $10. Steam will open up modding to an entire new universe of talented people (pardon the pun).
towerbooks3192

Post by towerbooks3192 »

For $10 upgrade? why not?
et ignobiles oblivio
mashkis

Post by mashkis »

Thank you all for the input. I will purchase it once I can get my serial numbers from the support team.

Is there a way to look-up the serial numbers on my PC on the game folders?
Spacecadet

Post by Spacecadet »

Thank you all for the input. I will purchase it once I can get my serial numbers from the support team.

Is there a way to look-up the serial numbers on my PC on the game folders?

Yes, they're .txt files.

For DW, I believe its serialreg.txt, for Shakturi it's RotSserial.txt, and so forth.

CPU: Intel 2700K
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: GTX 970
Res: 1920 x 1200

mashkis

Post by mashkis »

Got it. Thanks.
danlongman

Post by danlongman »

[:'(]
"Patriotism: Your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”