Distant Worlds: Universe Releases Today!

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Erik Rutins

Distant Worlds: Universe Releases Today!

Post by Erik Rutins »

It is today that Distant Worlds: Universe will hit the Matrix, Slitherine and Steam Stores. Distant Worlds: Universe is the latest in the popular Distant Worlds Series. The game will be available on our stores around 12.00 GMT and the Steam release will be around 4.00PM PDT. Distant Worlds: Universe combines all previous content in a single $ 60 package and expends on it by adding the Ancient Galaxy storyline, lots of balance changes and technical improvements and vastly expanded modding capabilities, making this the ultimate Distant Worlds experience! To celebrate this joyous occasion, we are giving you a $ 10 discount for everyone who purchases Distant Worlds: Universe within the first week of release.

Upgrade
For those who already own one or more games/expansions in the Distant Worlds series, we have created a system for you to upgrade to Universe. You will be able to get a $ 10 discount for every Distant Worlds game/expansion you own. This means that, if you Distant Worlds plus all three expansions, you will be able to generate a $ 40 coupon code for Distant Worlds: Universe. This is then added to the $ 10 release discount we are giving for a total of $ 50 off the regular price.

In order to generate this coupon, you must register your Distant Worlds content on the Matrix games Members Club. After you have done this, click the “My discount coupons” button on the right side. Here you will be able to get your coupon.

Note: Make sure to register ALL your Distant Worlds content before generating the coupon. It can only be done once, so if you do it before you registered all Distant Worlds keys, you will not be able to use the full discount!

After you have your discount, just add Universe to your card and enter the coupon code when required. This is only valid until the 31st of August

Steam
Today (or Saturday, depending on where you live), Distant Worlds: Universe will also be released on Steam. Everyone who buys Universe from our own stores will be able to redeem their Steam keys as soon as the game is released there. In order to do this, you must register you copy here. Next you can click the “Steam Keys” button in your profile page and press “Redeem Key”. You now have a Distant Worlds: Universe key you can activate on Steam.

About Distant Worlds: Universe
Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time 4X space strategy game. Experience the full depth and detail of turn-based strategy, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game.

Vast galaxies are made to order: up to 1400 star systems, with up to 50,000 planets, moons and asteroids. Galaxies are so deep, fun and immersive that you won’t want to finish the game. Build, expand and improve your empire while playing through one of the storylines, with victory conditions or in an open-ended sandbox mode.

Get the game from the official Product Page.

Find the game on Steam here.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Ghost Matter

RE: Distant Worlds: Universe Releases Today!

Post by Ghost Matter »

Can we get a list of the non-modding improvements?
Stilletto

Post by Stilletto »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

It is today that Distant Worlds: Universe will hit the Matrix, Slitherine and Steam Stores. Distant Worlds: Universe is the latest in the popular Distant Worlds Series. The game will be available on our stores around 12.00 GMT and the Steam release will be around 4.00PM PDT. Distant Worlds: Universe combines all previous content in a single $ 60 package and expends on it by adding the Ancient Galaxy storyline, lots of balance changes and technical improvements and vastly expanded modding capabilities, making this the ultimate Distant Worlds experience! To celebrate this joyous occasion, we are giving you a $ 10 discount for everyone who purchases Distant Worlds: Universe within the first week of release.

Upgrade
For those who already own one or more games/expansions in the Distant Worlds series, we have created a system for you to upgrade to Universe. You will be able to get a $ 10 discount for every Distant Worlds game/expansion you own. This means that, if you Distant Worlds plus all three expansions, you will be able to generate a $ 40 coupon code for Distant Worlds: Universe. This is then added to the $ 10 release discount we are giving for a total of $ 50 off the regular price.

In order to generate this coupon, you must register your Distant Worlds content on the Matrix games Members Club. After you have done this, click the “My discount coupons” button on the right side. Here you will be able to get your coupon.

Note: Make sure to register ALL your Distant Worlds content before generating the coupon. It can only be done once, so if you do it before you registered all Distant Worlds keys, you will not be able to use the full discount!

After you have your discount, just add Universe to your card and enter the coupon code when required.

Steam
Today (or Saturday, depending on where you live), Distant Worlds: Universe will also be released on Steam. Everyone who buys Universe from our own stores will be able to redeem their Steam keys as soon as the game is released there. In order to do this, you must register you copy here. Next you can click the “Steam Keys” button in your profile page and press “Redeem Key”. You now have a Distant Worlds: Universe key you can activate on Steam.

About Distant Worlds: Universe
Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time 4X space strategy game. Experience the full depth and detail of turn-based strategy, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game.

Vast galaxies are made to order: up to 1400 star systems, with up to 50,000 planets, moons and asteroids. Galaxies are so deep, fun and immersive that you won’t want to finish the game. Build, expand and improve your empire while playing through one of the storylines, with victory conditions or in an open-ended sandbox mode.

Get the game from the official Product Page.

Find the game on Steam here.

Greetings,

The coupon for $40.00 worked. Where is the $10.00 discount for purchasing it in the first week? I see the price is still what it was at launch so the price was not lowered by $10.00 for launch week. Where is the mysterious 10.00 launch discount?

Thank you.
When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.

"Ms. Betty has sharp thorns, but underneath is a delicate flower." -ltfightr
invaderzim

Post by invaderzim »

ORIGINAL: Stilletto
The coupon for $40.00 worked. Where is the $10.00 discount for purchasing it in the first week? I see the price is still what it was at launch so the price was not lowered by $10.00 for launch week. Where is the mysterious 10.00 launch discount?

Wouldn't an additional $10 make it almost free? I'm interested if this is the deal... what exactly is going on?
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

The price was in fact lowered for launch - it is already discounted $10. We decided to extend that release promotion an additional week, so you'll see it rise to the permanent price next week.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Stilletto

Post by Stilletto »

ORIGINAL: invaderzim
ORIGINAL: Stilletto

Wouldn't an additional $10 make it almost free? I'm interested if this is the deal... what exactly is going on?

Almost free wouldn't bother me. I had to ask. The description was a bit vague and I could maybe see them almost giving it away if you already had purchased all the previous bits. No harm. I already purchased it so I'm happy.
When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.

"Ms. Betty has sharp thorns, but underneath is a delicate flower." -ltfightr
Buio

Post by Buio »

Maybe it's a bit early. But now about two weeks after DWU release on Steam and the initial sales peak, did it bring in a good amount of new sales? Compared against previous non-Steam numbers? I'm just curious. ;)
dzilla

Post by dzilla »

Is the coupon offer for current owners of Distant Worlds still going on or was it discontinued? I get "There are not discount coupones available." when I select My Discounts.
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

It expired in august [:(]
vmxa_slith

Post by vmxa_slith »

dzilla, they have a new discount, same as the launch one as of now. One week only, second chance to get in.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

I wish we had not expired the upgrade offer, but we did. At this point to reinstate it would be unfair to those that bought at full price after the upgrade offer expired.

As noted above, while we normally don't put any new release on sale for a year, we decided to give DWU a sale for the holidays to match the original launch discount and give folks another chance to jump on board for a bit less money.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

Those people that have spend over $100+ prior to Universe release, and then forked out another ~$60 after Universe release because they missed the promotion, really deserve to be looked after.

Perhaps there is a feasible solution.

You obviously have records of who purchased the game before Universe release i.e. through Matrix stores.

You also have records of who purchased the game after release AND applied a discount as we had to go through Matrix.

You could once again try to contact those people that did not claim a discount and pin a thread on both Steam and Matrix forums with instructions on who to contact if they fall within this category.

I don't know what Steam can provide to help but you also have records of who payed full price at least through Matrix.

Perhaps a partial refund is problematic (keeping in mind these customers will still have invested significant money in the game) so at least a Matrix games credit?
dzilla

Post by dzilla »

I understand the position. Unfortunately, what it means is that I will wait on purchasing Universe until sometime next year. X-mas is always tight, but to get a great deal, I'd have found a way. To get $10 off, well, not so much. I'll just wait for that sale next year. Thanks for the prompt response.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: Icemania
You obviously have records of who purchased the game before Universe release i.e. through Matrix stores.

You also have records of who purchased the game after release AND applied a discount as we had to go through Matrix.

You could once again try to contact those people that did not claim a discount and pin a thread on both Steam and Matrix forums with instructions on who to contact if they fall within this category.

I don't know what Steam can provide to help but you also have records of who payed full price at least through Matrix.

Perhaps a partial refund is problematic (keeping in mind these customers will still have invested significant money in the game) so at least a Matrix games credit?

If it had expired a week ago, perhaps this would be do-able. Considering how long ago it expired and how many copies sold through various channels to many different customers, payment processing and currency conversion fees paid, taxes and VAT, royalties paid out, etc. it would be something beyond an accounting nightmare to even begin to try to unravel. I'm afraid we can't reasonably reverse it at this point.

At the time, we figured three or so months of upgrade time with public announcements about the upgrade was enough, but clearly we were wrong on that and some customers as a result feel left behind. That was never our wish, which is why we had the upgrade offer in the first place and my apologies to those who missed it or were unable to take advantage of it at the time.

Regarding the recent sale, we normally don't put games on sale within a year of release at all, but in this case we decided that it made sense for DWU to do a second promotion equivalent to the launch discount, especially with the new updates and the other holiday sales. we did not want this to get lost in the big Steam sale or our own holiday sale and we also wanted to wait for the .10 update to be ready, which is why it happened afterwards.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

Thank you for the open response regarding existing customers that missed the promotional period.

You could avoid the accounting nightmare entirely by simply offering a standard credit.

Going through lists of customers for those that meet these criteria would require time but sounds like a good intern job!

If going through lists of customers is considered problematic, all that would be needed is a means for those customers to get in touch with your team and claim the standard credit via a sticky both here and on Steam.

i.e. simpler solutions exist that minimise the overheads.

In parallel then open up the upgrade path again.

vmxa_slith

Post by vmxa_slith »

If they could not pull the trigger in three months, why would anyone feel badly about them? Life does go on and if you snooze, ya loose.
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

ORIGINAL: vmxa
If they could not pull the trigger in three months, why would anyone feel badly about them? Life does go on and if you snooze, ya loose.
Many of us have periods where we are offline for extended periods due to real life or we come back to a series later on. I'm one of them. I could have easily missed this promotion in half of the last 10 years, and Matrix would have lost a customer, there would be no AI Improvement Mod, no suggestions many of which have found their way into recent patches. To me the right thing to do is ensure established customers are looked after, particularly when we are talking about such an expensive game.

MrAce

Post by MrAce »

ORIGINAL: Icemania
ORIGINAL: vmxa
Many of us have periods where we are offline for extended periods due to real life or we come back to a series later on. I'm one of them. I could have easily missed this promotion in half of the last 10 years, and Matrix would have lost a customer, there would be no AI Improvement Mod, no suggestions many of which have found their way into recent patches. To me the right thing to do is ensure established customers are looked after, particularly when we are talking about such an expensive game.

I totally agree. After paying over $80 alone for the original DW and its expansions, I would've thought that I'd be given at least a discount.

Please allow this discount to be used once again. I don't feel like spending another $50 on an updated form of the game. :(
MayhemMike

Post by MayhemMike »

ORIGINAL: MrAce

I totally agree. After paying over $80 alone for the original DW and its expansions, I would've thought that I'd be given at least a discount.

Please allow this discount to be used once again. I don't feel like spending another $50 on an updated form of the game. :(

Same here, especially when the non-Universe versions don't get patches anylonger
Lucasiewicz

Post by Lucasiewicz »

After more than a year I felt like returning to play Distant Worlds again, only to find out there's been a new expansion. To my surprise it's only bundled together with the original game and it's previous expansions for 56€ download edition. And after reading this topic this has really put me off playing Distant Worlds ever again let alone buy any more. Don't get me wrong, I would've gladly paid a fair amount for a new expansion, but this is insane.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”