Lets not forget..............

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

captskillet

Lets not forget..............

Post by captskillet »

this Memorial Day weekend to honor the countless thousands of Americans that have paid the ultimate price in service to our country so that we can enjoy the many blessings we have here in the US......[&o].
"Git thar fust with the most men" - Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest

btd64

RE: Lets not forget..............

Post by btd64 »

My wife is on her way to her fathers grave at a military cemetery in NJ. He fought in Korea. He IS a MARINE. And was a great man.[:(] GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

I have pine cones from Normandy on my desk to remind me everyday.

My son gets commissioned a 2nd Lt on Wednesday and will be stationed next with 101st.
rockmedic109

Post by rockmedic109 »

We just visited my father-in-laws grave at the National Cemetery in Dixon. I remember him every time I open AE because I added him to the database of pilots.
Xargun

Post by Xargun »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe
My son gets commissioned a 2nd Lt on Wednesday and will be stationed next with 101st.

Tell him congrats.

The more I read about what our troops went through in WW 2 the more I respect the common soldiers. WW2 in south pacific was horrendous, let alone what Korea or Vietnam would have been like. A local radio commercial here mentions that these men and women suffered more on a daily basis than we will ever know and I believe that very much so - more so now that I am enlightening myself by reading books on the subject.

I am not a very religious man but I personally take a moment on Memorial Day (and Veterans Day) to say a little prayer of thanks for all the men and women who are serving or who have served our country so I can enjoy the freedoms I have.

To coin a phrase - "We owe so much to so few"
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

I am sure that Capt Skillet is especially fond of memorializing Gen. Wm Tecumseh Sherman - the former president of the Louisiana State University! [;)]
fair winds,
Brad
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

When I was dating my wife, way back in the late, late eighties I met her Uncle Jack. She warned me that his hand always shook, ever since he came back from WW2. I asked what he did and her reply was "He was in the navy."

WW2 was kind off topic, since another Uncle I learned died at Normandy (not true, but that is another story).

Anyhow, I met him at a Picnic and he was wearing a muscleman t-shirt showing off a very colorful Princeton tattoo as we shook hands and were introduced to each other. Now, I had played Grigsby first game, and AH Victory in the Pacific prior, and was a terrific nerd and knew darn well what happened to that unlucky ship which I proceeded to mention:

"That your ship?" says I, not the smartest thing.

"Yep" says Uncle Jack

"She sunk" I smoothly quipped.

"You don't need to tell me, I was on her."

Well, we were friends till he passed, and he told me the entire horror story of that day. In the water, his buddies dead...He told me that everyone had forgotten the Princeton, and that I was the first young(!) person that knew her.

Not true among this community.

Attachments
Princeton_burning.jpg
Princeton_burning.jpg (54.55 KiB) Viewed 195 times
btd64

Post by btd64 »

When I was dating my wife, way back in the late, late eighties I met her Uncle Jack. She warned me that his hand always shook, ever since he came back from WW2. I asked what he did and her reply was "He was in the navy."

WW2 was kind off topic, since another Uncle I learned died at Normandy (not true, but that is another story).

Anyhow, I met him at a Picnic and he was wearing a muscleman t-shirt showing off a very colorful Princeton tattoo as we shook hands and were introduced to each other. Now, I had played Grigsby first game, and AH Victory in the Pacific prior, and was a terrific nerd and knew darn well what happened to that unlucky ship which I proceeded to mention:

"That your ship?" says I, not the smartest thing.

"Yep" says Uncle Jack

"She sunk" I smoothly quipped.

"You don't need to tell me, I was on her."

Well, we were friends till he passed, and he told me the entire horror story of that day. In the water, his buddies dead...He told me that everyone had forgotten the Princeton, and that I was the first young(!) person that knew her.

Back in the 90's I was a manager for a RadioShack in NJ. One day an older gentlemen came in wearing a USS Indianapolis cap. I asked him about the het and he said he was one of the lucky ones. After we talked for a while he told me he still has nightmares about the sinking. One thing that I also read about was that PTSD was not recognised in WW2 vets for a long time. I salute all who have served. GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester

USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

I have pine cones from Normandy on my desk to remind me everyday.

Congratulations to your son, Lowpe! My son has aspirations of attending West Point. 2 years to go... we'll see.
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
captskillet

Post by captskillet »

my dad was a Korean War Marine vet also General..........and was a Marine till the day he died!

captskillet

Post by captskillet »

Brad, believe it or not there is a Sherman Hall on campus!

Symon

Post by Symon »

Well then, if he gets his butter bars on the 28th, he must have gone to the Hudson School for Boys. Not that I mind them, frankly I think the younger ones are pretty doggone cute. I just think of Springer Spaniel puppies with Attitude.

Norwich graduated May 11, I had the honor to introduce Lt Gen Litchfield. Yeah, guess where I'm from. I was 319th AFAR during my deployments in 1969-1971. I am active in 101st veterans associations. You should be proud. I expect that your son will make you even prouder. Just tell him that it's not all that bright to jump out of a perfectly functional airplane. And if he does, it's quite ok to use some pampers under the M-42s. Almost everybody I know has done that, including me,. [:D][:D]
Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

and that I was the first young(!) person that knew her.

When I was a kid "the war" to my parents was WWII (never Korea, my dad's war.) To our older brothers and sisters "the war" was Vietnam. To my stepdaughter, now 26, "the war" is Iraq.

T'was always thus.
The Moose
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

[quote]ORIGINAL: Symon

the Hudson School for Wayward Boys & Girls[quote]

Fixed, for these modern times we live in. Too true...an adventure for some...an almost free education for others.[:D]

Actually, he has to pay the piper now. I expect he will be overseas in a year or two at the latest.

I will pass along the pampers idea...but he won't be airborne, just air assault (roping out of helicopters and such).

Congratulations to your son, Lowpe! My son has aspirations of attending West Point. 2 years to go... we'll see.

A wonderful experience for everyone involved, and I was very active being relatively close by. Encourage your son to go, but he has to want it for himself first and foremost. Not too soon to start the application process and he probably can visit their summer camp this summer.

Kitakami

Post by Kitakami »

Not an American myself, yet to those of you who have served in the US armed forces, and to the countless thousands that have died defending causes the world has sadly forgotten, I say today and every day I meet a uniformed American serviceperson: "thank you for your service". Too many have shed their blood, sweat and tears to make this world far better than it could have been if they had not done so. Too many have lost limbs and/or peace of mind so mine, and others' are safe. Too many have paid the ultimate price to oppose those that would have the causes of freedom and justice be long forgotten. A humble heart mutters a prayer of thanks to all.

I at least, appreciate, and my son I try to teach to not forget.
Tenno Heika Banzai!
btd64

Post by btd64 »

ORIGINAL: Kitakami

Not an American myself, yet to those of you who have served in the US armed forces, and to the countless thousands that have died defending causes the world has sadly forgotten, I say today and every day I meet a uniformed American serviceperson: "thank you for your service". Too many have shed their blood, sweat and tears to make this world far better than it could have been if they had not done so. Too many have lost limbs and/or peace of mind so mine, and others' are safe. Too many have paid the ultimate price to oppose those that would have the causes of freedom and justice be long forgotten. A humble heart mutters a prayer of thanks to all.

I at least, appreciate, and my son I try to teach to not forget.

Well put. I tried to join up after High school. I had done a lot of research on the Abrams and wanted to be a gunner and move up from their. But my high school career included a few injuries that prevented me from doing it. And after that, my girlfriend at the time(my wife today) told me she didn't want me to go anyway. I would of if I passed the phyical. Speaking of not forgetting, My two daughters probably know more about our past wars then most boys from their high school. GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester

Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

FWIW, remember, if you're reading this, this holiday isn't for you.

November 11th might be.
The Moose
Symon

Post by Symon »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58
FWIW, remember, if you're reading this, this holiday isn't for you.

November 11th might be.
Yeah, well, if ya wanna get all technical, I'll kick it off:

Lest We Forget: ...
Carter Avery Howell, Captain, USAF, Citadel, SC, class of 1969. Entered service from Fayetteville, NC.
Panel/Row 2W, 113
Lost operationally approximately 25 miles east of the town of Ban Toumlan in Saravane Province, Laos, March 7, 1972.
He was my high school roommate at Bolles. All he ever wanted to do was go to the Citadel and fly planes. Talked to some of his buddies in flight school. Seems he was 3rd and got F-4s and his best friend was 4th and got C-141s. 4th Tac Sqdn. All he ever wanted was to fly. God Bless and keep Carter. You are still alive in memory so long as we can keep it up.

John
Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”