Retaining information when reading?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Perturabo

Retaining information when reading?

Post by Perturabo »

How much do you retain?

For me it's a big problem with technical literature.

When I read military history books I usually immediately (like in on next page) forget all numbers, dates, names, units, etc.
I only retain a vague image of the situation.
Twotribes

RE: Retaining information when reading?

Post by Twotribes »

Depends on why I am reading it. If for fun then I don't worry to much about numbers and facts. If for information then I pay attention and have a pretty good memory. Almost never went over my notes in school and did fine on tests. I love history so tend to remember the stuff though a LOT of dates and numbers might be a problem. I found there are several ways to help me remember. If I read it that helps, if I write it down even if I never go back and review that helps more. If all I do is hear it I retain less and need to do one of the others as well.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
Zap

Post by Zap »

Since youth I had to study long and hard to grasp math and had to reread several times philosophical treatises. I could see the limits I had. It frustrated me to no end. Others were getting concepts easily and I was working doubly hard to try and retain the knowledge. Then it happened, an industrial accident I suffered 9months ago had the doctors sending me to get a brain MRI. To my surprise the doctor found a part of my brain that did not develop (had this since infancy). After all this time at sixty-one I finally understood why I had so much difficulty in school.

My point, would be (not that it is your case) but one never knows what might be the reason why someone grasp better then the next person. Some of us have average intelligence others more blessed. But there could also be brain defects unbeknownst to ourselves. All I can offer you as advice. Just continue working hard. The value of a man is still based on his character. One part that makes a good character is sticking with your projects even if you have to work harder then someone blessed with a greater intelligence. Even if your extra effort may not be noticed by others you can be satisfied that you put in your best effort.
TulliusDetritus

Post by TulliusDetritus »

I never tried to retain (except at school and uni obviously). It's a lost battle in my opinion, unless you're some sort of freak.

It's about assimilating ideas. And this your brain can easily do: it's a sponge. The fact is I know countless of dates, details but NEVER ever tried to retain them. The brain did that job. How, I don't know. Again, I think it's about assimilating ideas, concepts.

After all, memorising does not guarantee your brain has fully assimilated what you "know". And sooner or later the brain will get rid of this superflous information.
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

Depends on why I am reading it. If for fun then I don't worry to much about numbers and facts. If for information then I pay attention and have a pretty good memory. Almost never went over my notes in school and did fine on tests.
Same here. In primary school and high school, that is. I started having problems in college, though.
I had a situation where a professor was explaining something on discreet maths and I was forgetting the beginning of his sentences by the time he finished them. Had similar problems during operational systems exercises.
ORIGINAL: Twotribes

If I read it that helps, if I write it down even if I never go back and review that helps more. If all I do is hear it I retain less and need to do one of the others as well.
True, it helps a bit. Especially when reading stuff. I do mind maps because I have disgraphy and my writing is horrible and painful and slow.

Let me think:
37mm of Wz.29 Armored Car has accurate range of about 300-400m, depending on source horizontal projectile spread is about 1,8m at these ranges.
The scope is 1,5x.

Renault FT:
A 37mm gun accurate up to 400m.
HMG's accuracy falls below 50% at 550m.

I wrote it down a few days ago. Though I have forgot some other stuff that I wrote down like ammunition numbers.

I guess, I need to write more when reading.

ORIGINAL: Zap

Since youth I had to study long and hard to grasp math and had to reread several times philosophical treatises. I could see the limits I had. It frustrated me to no end. Others were getting concepts easily and I was working doubly hard to try and retain the knowledge. Then it happened, an industrial accident I suffered 9months ago had the doctors sending me to get a brain MRI. To my surprise the doctor found a part of my brain that did not develop (had this since infancy). After all this time at sixty-one I finally understood why I had so much difficulty in school.
When I was a kid, I usually grasped things much faster than my peers. I used to be very good at remembering dates and difficult names in primary school and high school. I was interested in palaeontology and pre-history. I used to read a lot about palaeontology and a bit about geology. I even had one university textbook from paleonthology.
I remember being very proud of these abilities (as if I somehow decided what abilities I will have[8|]) and had contempt for other students that weren't so privileged. I remember showing off a lot and wanting to respond on every lesson. I probably should have been whisked off to some kind of a class/school for gifted kids and then pushed into high-school level biology and chemistry and then to university stuff. Sadly, I was allowed to get bored with it after hearing "I know that you know but we have to give chance to others" . Looking back, to me learning school stuff was a tool of self-glorification or something like that.

On the other hand I started with disgraphia which quickly stunted my growth on subjects that required a lot of writing like maths. I started out superior from maths but then soon I couldn't keep up with the tempo of writing and generally writing rows after rows of equations was very painful.
ORIGINAL: Zap

My point, would be (not that it is your case) but one never knows what might be the reason why someone grasp better then the next person. Some of us have average intelligence others more blessed. But there could also be brain defects unbeknownst to ourselves. All I can offer you as advice. Just continue working hard. The value of a man is still based on his character. One part that makes a good character is sticking with your projects even if you have to work harder then someone blessed with a greater intelligence. Even if your extra effort may not be noticed by others you can be satisfied that you put in your best effort.
I always wanted to be a hard working person who sticks to arbitrary stuff and is present on every lesson. It never worked for me, though. It happened consistently only when I was in CS college and got paid 1000pln of stipend every month. It helped a lot with focusing on learning.
I have difficulty (like in with a high chance of failure) going to school since I was mobbed in the end of primary school. Before that I was at least able to be on all lessons every day. After one point my health worsened and it became impossible. With ~50% presence being most probable.

But back to that stipend, it kept me connected to the stuff that I was studying. Normally, I get disconnected from stuff that isn't a a part of my special interests (like WWI military history and similar stuff) and I have great difficulty even reading it. Especially when something bad happens like financial problems, some kind of threat or injustice. When I had the stipend I was spending about 300pln a month on all sort of stuff to pay for it all. Vintage games, manga, books, comics, etc. It helped a lot.
At worst point when I was dealing with ideological enemies, I had to buy myself a Saitek X-52 FCS to progress further.

Though even when long time hard work was possible, I still struggled to achieve mediocrity during the college. Lots of time and effort to get 3 (barely pass for these with other scoring systems) from algorithms and data structures, computer architecture, programming, etc.

Now I'm in a 2 year IT school and I feel completely disconnected from it now, even though a month ago, I was very involved in it.
ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

I never tried to retain (except at school and uni obviously). It's a lost battle in my opinion, unless you're some sort of freak.

It's about assimilating ideas. And this your brain can easily do: it's a sponge. The fact is I know countless of dates, details but NEVER ever tried to retain them. The brain did that job. How, I don't know. Again, I think it's about assimilating ideas, concepts.

After all, memorising does not guarantee your brain has fully assimilated what you "know". And sooner or later the brain will get rid of this superflous information.
Could you give some examples of dates that you know?
Zap

Post by Zap »

Perturabo wrote:

But back to that stipend, it kept me connected to the stuff that I was studying. Normally, I get disconnected from stuff that isn't a a part of my special interests (like WWI military history and similar stuff) and I have great difficulty even reading it. Especially when something bad happens like financial problems, some kind of threat or injustice. When I had the stipend I was spending about 300pln a month on all sort of stuff to pay for it all. Vintage games, manga, books, comics, etc. It helped a lot.
At worst point when I was dealing with ideological enemies, I had to buy myself a Saitek X-52 FCS to progress further.

Though even when long time hard work was possible, I still struggled to achieve mediocrity during the college. Lots of time and effort to get 3 (barely pass for these with other scoring systems) from algorithms and data structures, computer architecture, programming, etc.

Now I'm in a 2 year IT school and I feel completely disconnected from it now, even though a month ago, I was very involved in it.

@ To Perturabo,

Well, I completely understand how economic insecurity, personal problems, or outside distractions could hurt your studies. Even discourage you and lower your morale.

I'm curious. Do you have school counselor's or mentors (similar to what we have in USA)? It may be helpful if you can talk to someone who could help you to refocus on your goals. And at the same time lift up your spirits.

Just an observation; is it possible that you are learning what your limitations are (as concerns mental capabilities)? Have you considered if the material you are studying is best for you? I understand some people are more right brain then left brain. Some do better at the Arts'. Others are better at math. Just ideas for you to think about.

Just a personal story: hope it helps

I completed 2 years in the university received my degree. Did another 3 years received another degree. I was (mentally) completely exhausted. Received average grades for my efforts. No, Summa cum Laude for me at the end of it all. Lol
I failed to complete the masters program.

I don't like to hear you say you "only achieved mediocrity" . That's a pejorative statement. You said you worked hard and long so you were successful, as I measure success. Despite what you perceive it to be
Keep up the good work my friend and don't let yourself be discourged.
roeddog

Post by roeddog »

How to read a book: The classic guide to intelligent reading by Mortimer Adler, available at amazon.
I know, I know, a book about reading a book is the dumbest thing you've ever heard of. It is not so much our lack of retention that is the problem as it is in the way we have not correctly learned, or have been taught, how to read a book correctly. This book corrects that.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

what did i reply for?

i forgot what i was reading [:D]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Zap

Post by Zap »

ORIGINAL: roeddog

How to read a book: The classic guide to intelligent reading by Mortimer Adler, available at amazon.
I know, I know, a book about reading a book is the dumbest thing you've ever heard of. It is not so much our lack of retention that is the problem as it is in the way we have not correctly learned, or have been taught, how to read a book correctly. This book corrects that.

Probably the best word to use is how much we have comprehended what was taught or read makes it easier for us to retain the new knowledge.
wodin

Post by wodin »

You need to read lots of books on a topic and then it starts to stick..just reading one or two isn't going to work.
barkman44

Post by barkman44 »

I must be retaining something,I never use a bookmark,No matter how long it's been since I put a book down I can
find where I left off.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: barkorn45

I must be retaining something,I never use a bookmark,No matter how long it's been since I put a book down I can
find where I left off.
warspite1

I wish I could sort my memory out - although given my advancing years that now seems highly unlikely....

It has never ceased to anger, annoy, concern, frustrate me that I can remember all sorts of rubbish, useless facts - e.g. who won the FA Cup in 1903? who the first ever World Championship Grand Prix and where was it held? Name every summer Olympic venue? how many countries in South America - yes, all sorts of rubbish. But can I remember important facts I need for my job? to help work complicated machinery, or indeed anything useful whatsoever? Er...NO would be the answer...[:(]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

I've always been pretty good about retaining it for some short period. Which is why I tend to do well on tests, especially multiple choice tests. But after a while, all of it goes by the wayside, usually in about 4-5 months.
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

An eidetic memory helps.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.

Return to “General Discussion”