Das Resource UI Mod (Superseded by Chrome Mod)

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

DasTactic

Das Resource UI Mod (Superseded by Chrome Mod)

Post by DasTactic »

Das Resource UI
for Distant Worlds: Universe

PLEASE NOTE: This mod is now part of the Das Chrome Mods which re-skins the user interface in the game. That pack is a much more complete user experience and is recommended over this one!

With a view to helping new players ease into the game I thought I'd make a set of resource icons that can be instantly recognisable.

Strategic resources that are required to boost colony growth have a light blue-grey background.
Other strategic resources have a darker blue-grey background.
Special luxury resources have a yellow background.
Other luxury resources have a red background.

The resource help files have all been updated with new imagery and information.

This is unabashedly inspired by Sirian's excellent Resources mod.

Usage:
The attached file has an MIT license inside it that allows unrestricted use. So if you want to add it to other mods, or if you want to change it in any way - not a problem. Go for it. :)

Source files:
Source files are not attached to the zip file. The icons are all created as vector images in Adobe Illustrator so can be scaled to any size. The file has the 32x32 icons used in the mod but also has 64x64 icons as well which are used in the help files.

Patch notes:
Version 1.1
* All gases now have gas giant background image.
* Also replaced many icons with new versions (Steel, Silicon, Rephidium Ale, Polymer, Otandium Opal, Lead, Jakanta Ivory, Iridium, Gold, Chromium, Carbon Fibre)
Attachments
Das Resources UI 1.1.zip
(638.96 KiB) Downloaded 87 times
joeyeti

RE: Das Resource UI Mod

Post by joeyeti »

Nice one! Pls pls, some in-game screenshots!
Joe
DasTactic

Post by DasTactic »

Here's some in-game images...

ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

Silicon looks like a snooker triangle.
joeyeti

Post by joeyeti »

Even more nice! :)
Thx Das for this!
Joe
FireLion1983

Post by FireLion1983 »

Hmmm, Sirian's mod has new competition - which one to choose... [:)]
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

Still wondering why folks on XP have a crap font on DW compared to the other OS's [8|]

Darkspire
FireLion1983

Post by FireLion1983 »

Das, any hope of u reskinning the entire GUI in this likeness? The game is in desperate need of a quick facelift - even beyond GEM.

EDIT: Autocorrect mumbo jumbo
DasTactic

Post by DasTactic »

ORIGINAL: FireLion1983

Das, any hope of u desk inning the entire GUI in this likeness? The game is in desperate need for a quick facelift - even beyond GEM.
If I have time I was going to give it a go. Originally I was wanting to make a minimalistic resource set but found it needed colour to more easily differentiate. I'm already thinking there are a number of resources I don't like the look of so will probably tweak those a bit.
DasTactic

Post by DasTactic »

After playing for while with this there were some icons I really disliked so have now uploaded version 1.1 with nearly half the icons replaced.

The link in the OP is the right one.
tbrass

Post by tbrass »

Wow, Das - Thanks. v. 1.1 is fantastic!

I may try to merge this with Arcatus's real resources (mostly for the visual index that includes where resources are found, but also for that touch of realism)
FireLion1983

Post by FireLion1983 »

ORIGINAL: tbrass

Wow, Das - Thanks. v. 1.1 is fantastic!

I may try to merge this with Arcatus's real resources (mostly for the visual index that includes where resources are found, but also for that touch of realism)

I like that mod, I just wish more references were adjusted. It's jarring to read iron and steel in different places throughout. I wonder if you can adjust every mention in game somehow?
TanC

Post by TanC »

My gosh, dat resource!

Great work on the reskin; I'd have to agree with FireLion1983...DW could use an alternate skin-set just to refresh the game's image. :D
DasTactic

Post by DasTactic »

Started playing with making new icons for the chrome but this is going to be a big task. Not sure how long it will take or even if I'll get it done. I started making icons for the top - which has the smallest amount of work required. Still need to make icons for history, messages and money but this bit is nearly there.

I'll also make icons for the left panel and the galaxy map but the explorer bar in the bottom-left has a lot of hidden items. I might just start with the outside sections.
joeyeti

Post by joeyeti »

Wowza! Never thought there could be such a difference possible!
Joe
StarLab

Post by StarLab »

ORIGINAL: Das123

Started playing with making new icons for the chrome but this is going to be a big task. Not sure how long it will take or even if I'll get it done. I started making icons for the top - which has the smallest amount of work required. Still need to make icons for history, messages and money but this bit is nearly there.

I'll also make icons for the left panel and the galaxy map but the explorer bar in the bottom-left has a lot of hidden items. I might just start with the outside sections.

Nice! +1 [8D]
Gareth_Bryne

Post by Gareth_Bryne »

Very nice!
"Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts," - Londo Mollari
DasTactic

Post by DasTactic »

A few more screen showing the work in progress.

It is quite difficult to get the sizes right all the time but the original art is vector based so it is relatively easy to resize the image frames as required.

Some of the images in the chrome are used multiple times for different concepts such as the Fleet Leader star also being used for Regional Capital and military ships also being the same icon for fire-power. Other images are shared for similar things such as the advisor build messages being the same image used for construction ships. There are also images pulled from the character and ship-sets such as the various ship filters on the left hand side. The last image for Special Locations is being pulled from somewhere I don't know because I can't locate this one.
FireLion1983

Post by FireLion1983 »

Oh my word! Keep it up, you have definite download from me when finished! :)
Buio

Post by Buio »

Looks great, looking forward to the UI icons too.

Return to “Design and Modding”