Flashpoint Campaigns events at Origins 2014 in Columbus OH

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin, IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian

bayonetbrant

Flashpoint Campaigns events at Origins 2014 in Columbus OH

Post by bayonetbrant »

More info about the staff wargaming team at Origins

Interview w/ Dr James Sterrett about the wargames

WA: If I'm a new participant to this entire process, what should I expect when I walk in the door for one of these games?

JS: You’ll get a job! Well, at any rate, a job on a staff for the duration of the event. Jobs include roles such as the commander, the operations officer, and the intel officer. We’ll teach you the basics of that job, and then provide an overview of the US Army’s planning process. Then you start to do your job: you and the others on your staff use the planning process to create a plan for the battle. Once the plan is complete, or time runs short for planning, we transition to fighting the battle. At the end, we run a short After Action Review, in which we try to point out things that were done well (or poorly), and to discuss some of the learning points that might have been brought out if this were run at CGSC.

video of one of these exercises
http://youtu.be/_x0uPpcURX0

WA: When you're working out the design of the exercises - especially the learning process of the first 30 minutes or so - how do you decide what goes into the game and what gets left out?

JS: The point is to give people a sense of how exercises work and how a staff functions. The key constraints are time and inexperience: we have very little time to teach people (CGSC spends over a month on the planning process alone!), and we have to assume that the players have never done anything like this before.
Therefore, we focus only on the bare essentials, and we expect to do a lot of coaching. That said, players often come back again and again, and it’s great to watch repeat players get better and better with practice.

FPCRS-related events at Orgins:
[font="Courier New"]
Event#...Prizes?..Date/Time...Length?............Event Name.....................................................................................GM
9229.......No......Thu 7PM.......2......GrogHeads Presents: Flashpoint Campaigns Q&A with the Designers.......................Jim Snyder / Rob Crandall
9424......Yes......Fri 3PM.......2......GrogHeads Presents: Learn to Play Flashpoint Campaigns with the Designers.............Jim Snyder / Rob Crandall
9214......Yes......Thu 2PM.......4......GrogHeads Presents: Staff Wargaming - Flashpoint Campaigns Red Storm..................Sterrett / Snyder / Graves
9630......Yes......Sat 7PM.......4......GrogHeads Presents: Staff Wargaming - Flashpoint Campaigns Red Storm..................Sterrett / Snyder / Graves[/font]

=+=+=+=+=
BayonetBrant
Editorial director ~ www.armchairdragoons.com
Host/Producter ~ Mentioned in Dispatches podcast
All around awesome dude & more handsome than I deserve to be with such a sparkling personality

Tazak

RE: Flashpoint Campaigns events at Origins 2014 in Columbus OH

Post by Tazak »

Sounds a lot like Time Commander which featured teams operating with 3 people using the total war engine to recreate historical battles, very good and sometimes funny when people mis-interpreted orders
AUCTO SPLENDORE RESURGO
bayonetbrant

Post by bayonetbrant »

the team gets organized as a staff along US Army doctrinal lines, and has coaches helping them through their tasks

once the plan is input, the staff then adjusts as the action unfolds.

the best endorsement of how much fun these are is the number of repeat participants we have each year and then year-to-year; folks keep coming back for more!
=+=+=+=+=
BayonetBrant
All around awesome dude & more handsome than I deserve to be with such a sparkling personality

bayonetbrant

Post by bayonetbrant »

It's 2 weeks to the convention!

Who's coming?!
=+=+=+=+=
BayonetBrant

demiller

Post by demiller »

I'm there, but you already knew that! :-)
AKA panzerde

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”