1.4.2 PATCH

Commander - The Great War is the latest release in the popular and playable Commander series of historical strategy games. Gamers will enjoy a huge hex based campaign map that stretches from the USA in the west, Africa and Arabia to the south, Scandinavia to the north and the Urals to the east on a new engine that is more efficient and fully supports widescreen resolutions.
Commander – The Great War features a Grand Campaign covering the whole of World War I from the invasion of Belgium on August 5, 1914 to the Armistice on the 11th of November 1918 in addition to 16 different unit types including Infantry, Cavalry, Armoured Cars and Tanks, Artillery, Railroad Guns and Armoured Trains and more!

Moderators: Lord Zimoa, MOD_Commander_The_Great_War

kirk23

RE: 1.4.2 PATCH

Post by kirk23 »

Rail Gun improved,making it more effective,and worthwhile thinking about using in game.[;)]

Attachments
RailGuntweaked.jpg
RailGuntweaked.jpg (211.32 KiB) Viewed 64 times
Make it so!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

ORIGINAL: operating

Can't scroll through a tech, like I used to be able to. For instance: If depth charge picture is in the queue, cannot scroll to hydrophones in the back of that part of the tech tree. Is anybodyelse having this problem?

Nope don't have that problem,everything ok on my PC!
Make it so!
operating

Post by operating »

ORIGINAL: kirk23

Rail Gun improved,making it more effective,and worthwhile thinking about using in game.[;)]

Kirk,

Can appreciate the changes to the RR gun itself, but the problem is: it is not deployable (in game) till much later in the war, than it was actually put to use. Sure,,, it is historical slanted argument, but also a practical one too. Once the creeping barrage tech is complete (making owning side a level 10 artillery), there is little incentive to continue artillery tech just to produce a costly RR gun that will be more than likely be outdated before it can be utilized. SOLUTION: shorten up the development time for RR gun tech. bottom line; it's not worth the tech upkeep of 4 PP per turn till tech is completed, cost for unit, and the PP for upkeep of the unit while in the production queue, it's limited use, restriction to rail, and highly unlikely to be able to afford more than one of these dinosaurs if you are a tough game, if at all. Does not make much sense that a losing side would invest, as it is now, in a losing weapon.

Bob
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Kirk,

Can appreciate the changes to the RR gun itself, but the problem is: it is not deployable (in game) till much later in the war, than it was actually put to use. Sure,,, it is historical slanted argument, but also a practical one too. Once the creeping barrage tech is complete (making owning side a level 10 artillery), there is little incentive to continue artillery tech just to produce a costly RR gun that will be more than likely be outdated before it can be utilized. SOLUTION: shorten up the development time for RR gun tech. bottom line; it's not worth the tech upkeep of 4 PP per turn till tech is completed, cost for unit, and the PP for upkeep of the unit while in the production queue, it's limited use, restriction to rail, and highly unlikely to be able to afford more than one of these dinosaurs if you are a tough game, if at all. Does not make much sense that a losing side would invest, as it is now, in a losing weapon.

Bob

I agree with everything you say about the Rail Gun,but this is what is happening in the last patch,and not the 1.50 version I'm working on,The research time frame is now reduced to 1916,as for the Countries not being able to pay for stuff,well most if not all Countries will have more PPs to play with,this game is now on its 3rd or 4th patch,and there are still many many things that ain't right,well no longer,this game is going too get a major overhaul,from top to bottom it deserves nothing less.[:)]

The Rail Gun has one major strategic use,in that it has a range of 3,meaning its the only land unit that can be used as a stand off weapon,and bombard enemy units and Cities etc.

WORLD WAR 1

The outbreak of the First World War caught the French with a shortage of heavy field artillery. In compensation, large numbers of large static coastal defense guns and naval guns were moved to the front, but these were typically unsuitable for field use and required some kind of mounting. The railway gun provided the obvious solution. By 1916, both sides were deploying railway guns.
Make it so!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Rail Gun now with reduced PPs,MP,Upkeep & Build time.( Now will you use them in game? )

Attachments
RailGunr..edcosts.jpg
RailGunr..edcosts.jpg (107.48 KiB) Viewed 64 times
Make it so!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Rail Gun new combat effect,in photo it shows the French Rail Gun near Paris,targeting the Germany Infantry unit.[;)]

Attachments
RailGuni..bat1917.jpg
RailGuni..bat1917.jpg (250.64 KiB) Viewed 64 times
Make it so!
operating

Post by operating »

Rail Gun now with reduced PPs,MP,Upkeep & Build time.( Now will you use them in game? )

Yes, is the answer. Would this apply in a 1914 scenario, with the possibility of a 1915 or 1916 deployment? that would clinch it for my taste, and would be approximately correct historically (mind you it does not need to be historical, just possible). The RR gun is a beautiful looking weapon, and now practical, should be a shoo-in as a keeper.
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Glad you like,in 1914 scenario the quicker you focus the research,the quicker you will get to use these bad boys![:D]
Make it so!
operating

Post by operating »

Glad you like,in 1914 scenario the quicker you focus the research,the quicker you will get to use these bad boys![:D]

AHhhh! There might be a problem here too! Does a player need an industrial armor tech in order to build RR gun? I could be wrong, but if I am right, that could hamstring RR gun development. Where I am going with this is: Many times as CP in MP cannot afford the upkeep of any armor tech labs, instead rely on a strong infantry anti-tank defense/offense, which can be spread across many more units. Sure it would be nice to keep an armor tech lab, only problem is the results of that tech: cannot afford the cost of armor units and their upkeep, accept for armored cars. To me, armored trains for CP, are not all that usefull. Yes, maybe buy one or two tanks, but that's stretching it, their upkeep costs would be a killer. In summary: Why even go down that road of techs? In the end that would also kill the RR gun idea....

<edit>

Just checked: RR gun looks like it does not need industrial armor tech in order to brought up to the production queue.
operating

Post by operating »

So what your saying is,the Tech tree needs reworked, as to the time they take to come on stream,I have only scratched the surface with changes here,but I will take a much closer look at time these take to research[;)]

In the SS below, is what I refer to. Granted Turkey has the tech tree of a minor nation and the income of a minor nation, also enters several turns into a scenario (1914). If pushed,,, seldom does it get a chance to accumulate PP for a 2nd lab. My opponent might appreciate this SS, at this point I don't care. This also should demonstrate what condition the AI should be at this stage of the game (of course we know the AI cheats). Mind you in this match Turkey has not lost any cities, Russia has surrendered.

These techs are not even near the threshold of 5 turns to show up at the bottom of the research window. This research window leaves a lot to be desired, that is another issue (? length of time it takes for these techs to show up there). It would be nice to know when these techs actually show up in what # of turns. For it could be a complete waste of time to keep invested in them.

Attachments
ctgw_1400507188.jpg
ctgw_1400507188.jpg (238.89 KiB) Viewed 64 times
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

AHhhh! There might be a problem here too! Does a player need an industrial armor tech in order to build RR gun? I could be wrong, but if I am right, that could hamstring RR gun development. Where I am going with this is: Many times as CP in MP cannot afford the upkeep of any armor tech labs, instead rely on a strong infantry anti-tank defense/offense, which can be spread across many more units. Sure it would be nice to keep an armor tech lab, only problem is the results of that tech: cannot afford the cost of armor units and their upkeep, accept for armored cars. To me, armored trains for CP, are not all that usefull. Yes, maybe buy one or two tanks, but that's stretching it, their upkeep costs would be a killer. In summary: Why even go down that road of techs? In the end that would also kill the RR gun idea....

<edit>

Just checked: RR gun looks like it does not need industrial armor tech in order to brought up to the production queue.

Armour Tech not required to build Rail Gun,once you have researched it,it will appear in the production queue.In this new patch I say again all Nations have more PPs & Manpower to play with,Tech Build times have also been reduced.[;)]
Make it so!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

So what your saying is,the Tech tree needs reworked, as to the time they take to come on stream,I have only scratched the surface with changes here,but I will take a much closer look at time these take to research[;)]

In the SS below, is what I refer to. Granted Turkey has the tech tree of a minor nation and the income of a minor nation, also enters several turns into a scenario (1914). If pushed,,, seldom does it get a chance to accumulate PP for a 2nd lab.

Not in the new patch,Turkey can have a second lab,because she has more PPs available & Manpower.[:)]
Make it so!
operating

Post by operating »

Kirk,

I know this will be asking the impossible: How about Turkish armored cars? Did a research where a Turk Sultan had armored cars before WWI, somewhat dubious, nonetheless, they existed. example below;

Attachments
cache_20613717.jpg
cache_20613717.jpg (138.22 KiB) Viewed 64 times
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

These techs are not even near the threshold of 5 turns to show up at the bottom of the research window. This research window leaves a lot to be desired, that is another issue (? length of time it takes for these techs to show up there). It would be nice to know when these techs actually show up in what # of turns. For it could be a complete waste of time to keep invested in them.

I'm sure the average time, each Tech takes to research,is roundabout 20 turns![;)]
Make it so!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Kirk,

I know this will be asking the impossible: How about Turkish armored cars? Did a research where a Turk Sultan had armored cars before WWI, somewhat dubious, nonetheless, they existed. example below;

I will check this out,and if its possible who knows? I mean I have already given Turkey Artillery,along with Serbia,Bulgaria & Rumania[;)]
Make it so!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Is this what you would like to see in game Bob?[:D]

Attachments
TurkeyArmouredcar.jpg
TurkeyArmouredcar.jpg (200.73 KiB) Viewed 64 times
Make it so!
operating

Post by operating »

Kirk,

Another thought (OH NO!)[:D]: How about all first labs of all categories in the tech tree to every nation be free of upkeep PP, then if a nation wants additional labs they come at a hefty price with increased upkeep more than present or proposed (as you have mentioned)?

Bob
operating

Post by operating »

Is this what you would like to see in game Bob?[:D]

Squire Kirk,

Speaking for myself: "I would absolutely LOVE IT"![&o] If it could be set up, much like what the Belgians have (no armor tech), could be the way to go. Don't want to go into this with blinders on, would like to hear from other members about this Turkish armored car concept.

Wearing my Turkish hat today (whatever they are called), Bob[:)]
Tomokatu

Post by Tomokatu »

I also like the idea of he first lab being upkeep free.

@Operating,
Spreadsheets are a world of wonder.
You really should learn to dabble in them, you can do AMAZING things! (Excel is Micro$oft'$ offering, expensive.) There are third-party applications which read and save to Excel (.xls-format) files.

Ummm.. the Turkish headwear is called a fez.
For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

I can do better than that,how about just reducing the Lab Upkeep to 1 see photo.As you can see Turkey has 2 Labs for each tech,which only costs 4 for Upkeep.Turkey also has excess PPs,MP & Ammunition production.[;)]

Attachments
Turkeyresearch.jpg
Turkeyresearch.jpg (206.71 KiB) Viewed 64 times
Make it so!

Return to “Commander - The Great War”