Distant Worls -- Futures Past

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Simulation01

Distant Worls -- Futures Past

Post by Simulation01 »

This is an old interview that was conducted when Shadows was being released and updated. It has information that sheds light on the thinking that Elliot and Erik have regarding the future of Distant Worlds. Some things here have me optimistic for the series.

--Expanding Diplomacy-- *Sorely needed and desired*

--Private sector corporations that could claim and colonize worlds on their own--- *Really cool idea*

Others...just take a look at the article. This could provide some of those new to the game and forums a launch point for future thought and discussion.

http://www.spacesector.com/blog/2013/08/distant-worlds-interview-part-1-from-dawn-to-shadows/

http://www.spacesector.com/blog/2013/08/distant-worlds-interview-part-2-further-work-and-sequel/
"Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved Earth and Heaven; that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will." -Tennyson
ASHBERY76

RE: Distant Worls -- Futures Past

Post by ASHBERY76 »

Indeed.I think DW could still use another feature expansion with those features.

Erik?
Cauldyth

Post by Cauldyth »

I will throw money at you for a diplomacy expansion!
Simulation01

Post by Simulation01 »

ORIGINAL: Cauldyth

I will throw money at you for a diplomacy expansion!

AMEN! I kept thinking it would be in each subsequent expansion but, alas no. Diplomacy must be expanded. It's far to simplistic as it stands and does not live up to the depth that you find in the rest of the game.

I mean I really don't know what else to tell the developer's except this....if you make it I WILL BUY IT! I will GIVE you money to incorporate some of the notions I and others have mentioned.

-- Simultaneous Multi-party diplomacy

-- Large Alliances like NATO and the Warsaw Pact

-- Gifting Units

-- War Planning with your allies -- suggesting attacks and receiving suggested attacks -- coordinated tactical assaults on worlds and stations

-- Neutral Zones

-- Trade Unions

-- Galactic Council

-- Lending Fleets and Ships to allies and neutral nations

-- Funding separatist forces and subverting other nations

The list could go on and on and have been suggested by me and many others.

****I would really like a response from Erik or Elliot about additions to Diplomacy if they don't mind****

"Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved Earth and Heaven; that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will." -Tennyson
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Would love to do it, not sure we will have the opportunity before DW2, but we will be listening to the community after Universe releases and deciding on a priority list for post-release improvements.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Simulation01

Post by Simulation01 »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Would love to do it, not sure we will have the opportunity before DW2, but we will be listening to the community after Universe releases and deciding on a priority list for post-release improvements.

Thank you for the quick response! It is much appreciated!

I vote for it's priority. It's the only thing that has not been addressed to any great degree.

I would obviously like to see it in another expansion before DW2 and to then be rolled into DW2 as well. Thanks again!

ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

To be honest we need the diplomacy we have now to be plugged before adding more options.It is laughable that I can get 50 billion from a race to give sanctions or Dow to a third party race and then stop it straight away without any consequence.
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

Agree with Ashbery, as I've often said, please fix the exploits first.
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

ORIGINAL: Simulation01

[
AMEN! I kept thinking it would be in each subsequent expansion but, alas no. Diplomacy must be expanded. It's far to simplistic as it stands and does not live up to the depth that you find in the rest of the game.

I mean I really don't know what else to tell the developer's except this....if you make it I WILL BUY IT! I will GIVE you money to incorporate some of the notions I and others have mentioned.

-- Simultaneous Multi-party diplomacy

-- Gifting Units

-- War Planning with your allies -- suggesting attacks and receiving suggested attacks -- coordinated tactical assaults on worlds and stations

-- Neutral Zones

-- Trade Unions

-- Galactic Council

-- Lending Fleets and Ships to allies and neutral nations

****I would really like a response from Erik or Elliot about additions to Diplomacy if they don't mind****

That stuff would have been awesome and in my view better than the last expansion by some margin.We have this great galactic simulation in DW but with little internal politics or diplomatic logic.A better fleshed out Moo3 style senate would have been awesome.
Spacecadet

Post by Spacecadet »

This is at least somewhat Moddable, not sure if any aspects translate to a regular game
-- Gifting Units
This has been possible since at least Shadows, and maybe even before
Might have a partial here (Moddable only?)
I believe you could somewhat do this in Shadows, or is this new?

CPU: Intel 2700K
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: GTX 970
Res: 1920 x 1200

Simulation01

Post by Simulation01 »

ORIGINAL: Spacecadet

This is at least somewhat Moddable, not sure if any aspects translate to a regular game
-- Gifting Units
This has been possible since at least Shadows, and maybe even before
Might have a partial here (Moddable only?)
I believe you could somewhat do this in Shadows, or is this new?

I don't want to mod in static alliances or cause them to appear and disappear at the whim of a mod( though this is nice). I want these bloc's to form in an organic fashion.

It has been a while since I played Shadows (I've been waiting for the expansion) but, I don't recall gifting units being a diplomatic option...which is where I want it. Also, I'd like to be able to loan out fleets or hire them out.

I also don't recall seeing the option to form a terrorist organization like the PLO or Hamas to employ against my enemy though, I have thought of modding in a pirate faction to fill this bill but, this will depend on DWU.

As for the notion of improving the current state of diplomacy....yeah, do it but, I rather think they could do that while adding these additions....it's not either or in my mind but, then I'm not developing the game.
Gareth_Bryne

Post by Gareth_Bryne »

Speaking frankly - put this in DW2, let Universe stand on it's own merit!
"Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts," - Londo Mollari

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”