Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

robinsa

RE: WitP-AE Topo Map Project

Post by robinsa »

Just wanted to drop by and say that I think this map is a masterpiece. It looks great WITH hexes imo. I wouldnt want to play the game without them... :)
msieving1

Post by msieving1 »

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but the map's not working for me.  I'm not using any kind of loader, I just manually copied the files to the ART folder.  When I start the game though, there's no map.  The base icons show up, but over the "Prepare for Battle" screen.  Fortunately, I backed up the old map, so I was able to restore it and that works fine.
-- Mark Sieving
LargeSlowTarget

Post by LargeSlowTarget »

ORIGINAL: msieving1

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but the map's not working for me.  I'm not using any kind of loader, I just manually copied the files to the ART folder.  When I start the game though, there's no map.  The base icons show up, but over the "Prepare for Battle" screen.  Fortunately, I backed up the old map, so I was able to restore it and that works fine.

Almost the same here - black "map" around the "loading" screen (saved game) in the middle with base icons, TFs etc. visible.

This is on my Win8 system. On Win7 at *ahem* work - no problem. Same map files unzipped on USB stick and copied into respective ART folders [&:]

EDIT: Only happens with new, darker version. Earlier pale version works fine even on Win8. Have tried different modes (non-windowd/windowed, with/without deep color, windowed different px/py values) - no joy.

Btw, darker map looks better. Thin ocean hexes and shallow/deep difference are ok, WIF style thus no longer that high on my wish list.

Outstanding work, chemkid! Feels almost like a new game. But also confuses the hell out of me - I have to fight the impuls to use the mouse wheel to zoom in and out Google Earth style! [:D]
chemkid

Post by chemkid »

Skyros

Post by Skyros »

This looks great and I can't wait to see the other versions. My one small complaint is that it is hard to read the codes for terrain type etc. The lightness of the colors washes out the white text for my failing eyes. That however is minor, I'm sure there maybe a switch or something I can do to increase the contrast.

Thank you and all of you who keep contributing to this great game.

Ray
Michael Vail

Post by Michael Vail »

I like this map. I play BabesLite-B and have no problems with it. I prefer no hexes but I can live with this, they're not so defined as to distract from things. Now if only the map could help me salvage Noumea it would be perfect.
Kitakami

Post by Kitakami »

ORIGINAL: chemkid

really strange...

update: i can reproduce this error by moving the map files out of the art folder.
witp-ae can't find the map files and is showing the prepare for battle screen on black background.
weird!

another update: is it possible that you removed the stock map out of your art folder (as backup) and then copied the topomap into the art folder without switching the hex-display-mode to 'without hexes'?

@mark - are you using win8, too?

sorry, no win8 system here to test right now... [&:]

<snip>

enjoy and help to find a solution for the display problem.

I also have problems with the darker landmasses version (but not with the lighter landmasses version). I also use Win8. Could there be any non-obvious difference between those two that could be responsible for the maps not displaying? Hexes and hexside details are off.
Tenno Heika Banzai!
LargeSlowTarget

No, did not move any map files out of Art folder. Just copied the darker map files into the folder, overwriting the pale map files. Map mode is no hexen.
chemkid

Post by chemkid »

msieving1

Post by msieving1 »

Windows 8 seems to be the common factor in the map problem. As for the different versions of the map, my experience was kind of odd. I installed the earlier version and it loaded fine. I then copied the newer version over that, and the map wouldn't load. So, I copied the earlier version back in, and then it wouldn't load either.

-- Mark Sieving
Symon

Post by Symon »

ORIGINAL: Kitakami
I also have problems with the darker landmasses version (but not with the lighter landmasses version). I also use Win8. Could there be any non-obvious difference between those two that could be responsible for the maps not displaying? Hexes and hexside details are off.
Me too, same reason. I'm running a debugger. Might find something.

BTW Chem, what program did you save these under, and what was the color bit resolution? 32-bit or greater?
Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.
Lasarian

Post by Lasarian »

Thank you for all your work, Chemkid, much appreciated! Trying out all the map versions and so far am liking swapping between hex and hexless versions, more than the ocean dots - the dots seem too 'fat' /obtrusive compared to the hatched hexes, suprisingly. Certainly compared to the older dot extended map. Maybe they just need contrast/tone tweaking to make them more subtle if not smaller before it really works. I'd love to do a version with seperated topographical and vegetation layers so I can get the prefered colours, jungle and grass/farmland etc. - tan east china just doesn't look right to me ;) So if you release a stock 'pure' version for mapmakers I can tweak myself that will be awesome.
chemkid

Post by chemkid »

Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

What I'll call the 'clean' version (with only Road and Rails marked) is perfect as far as I'm concerned. 10/10. [&o]
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
RogerJNeilson

Post by RogerJNeilson »

Ok set this up on a new game, and the map works fine when in full screen, but running in windowed mode it shows the old map?

Puzzling.....

Roger
An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released
derhexer

Post by derhexer »

Chemkid,
I'm still impressed with your map. It is easy on my old eyes and is easy to look at. You have obviously spent a great deal
of time and thoughtful effort on this.

Again, Thanks!! [&o] [8D]
Chris
(Did you ever stop to think and forget to start?)
chemkid

Post by chemkid »

RogerJNeilson

Post by RogerJNeilson »

Indeed a riddle as I also use win7.... is there one of the switches I haven't applied I wonder?

Certainly preferences set correctly.

Roger
An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released
LargeSlowTarget

WIF style version working fine on my Win8 and looking good. Thx chemkid!
Kitakami

Post by Kitakami »

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

WIF style version working fine on my Win8 and looking good. Thx chemkid!

+1
Tenno Heika Banzai!

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”