Caribbean Clinch, 1956 -- new beta for testing

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Mgellis

Caribbean Clinch, 1956 -- new beta for testing

Post by Mgellis »

Here is the beta version of my newest scenario, Caribbean Clinch, 1956. The scenario assumes the Suez Crisis escalated into a larger war. Now, American forces must eliminate a Soviet SAG (and Soviet submarines) in the Caribbean.

Please let me know what you think. Observations, suggestions, etc. are all welcome. Thanks!

Attachments
Caribbean..ch1956.zip
(61.88 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
Mgellis

RE: Caribbean Clinch, 1956 -- new beta for testing

Post by Mgellis »

Any thoughts on this on? Or is it ready to submit to the Community Scenario Pack? Thanks.

Patmanaut

Post by Patmanaut »

I´m playing it right now.(I´m on my first night, 22:04 local/gametime)
One thing I´ve found, two of the Neptunes have an incorrect load for 1956 (10 x Mk-46 Mod2 ??)
Besides that, it´s an interesting scenario.

Saludos

Patricio
Patmanaut

Post by Patmanaut »

My 2nd day of gameplay, 9:30am.
USS Lee sunk after an exciting duel maneuvering to avoid torpedos from a Zulu SS, (Auto evasion OFF.) She could dodge 2 torps, using indirect info from a passive sonobuoy, trying to get in range to fire its MK-37 and weapon alpha. Unfortunately the 3rd torp killed her.
An approaching Marlin found its mark with 2 depth charges and avenged USS Lee.
So far the score is 2 x Zulus (and a biologic [:(] ) vs USS Lee.
Very entertaining!

Saludos

P
NickD

Post by NickD »

I played this through last night, and enjoyed it. I have a few comments:
*The USN force greatly over-matches the Soviet force. I was able to sink the entire SAG with my battleship with her standing off outside the range of the Soviet ships (though I foolishly also used a destroyer in this attack, and lost it to a torpedo from a destroyer). I made no use of the strike aircraft at all.
*The submarine side of things is interesting. I lost USS Canberra, but the battleship was able to sprint out of the danger zone.
*It might be interesting to scatter some Soviet merchant ships or trawlers around the theatre and give the player the job of sinking them as well (not sure if the Soviets were using intelligence trawlers at this time, but if they were a few of them could liven things up further)
*Not sure what the civilian aircraft add here to be honest. They provide some interesting 'chrome' and don't effect running speed, but as there isn't an air threat players won't be worried about them at all. Would it be worth including a hidden Soviet-aligned civilian airfield somewhere from which Communist-chartered spotting planes operate out of?
Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

Thanks for the feedback...

I double-checked and one of the loadouts for the Neptune seems include the Mk46s by accident...so I got rid of the Mk46s in the magazine for the base and rearmed them with Mk43s.

Yes, the Soviet SAG is outgunned...that was a typical SAG for them for the area, according to the Naval War College books and other sources I've looked at. They're not just going to lie down and die, of course, but the real threat is the subs.

The aircraft are there mostly because I thought it would be odd to not have any aircraft in the area. Unfortunately, in 1956, it does not look like there were any communist-leaning states to provide the Soviets with an air base. So it's just one more thing for the player to keep in mind. After all, you don't immediately know there AREN'T a few Soviet aircraft in the area.

Any more ideas? Thanks.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”