Matrix / Slitherine - Opportunity Knocks

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Major_Mess

Matrix / Slitherine - Opportunity Knocks

Post by Major_Mess »

Matrix / Slitherine - Listen to Me.

This has been rolling around in my head for a few weeks now.
My Idea.
Swinging between apathy, (there’s so many reasons why I shouldn’t expend any energy towards this venture), and a burning righteousness in a cause I cannot ignore, I love this game so much. I did not know how to proceed. I’ve let my brain mull this over now, and as you can now see .... it’s tipped my path towards action.

Matrix / Slitherine - I Have a Business Opportunity for You.

This all started because I hit the Y key.
The Y key controlled the set range for the selected Unit. It is a very important function that would crash the game to desktop on anything newer than Win XP.
It doesn’t do that anymore.
You should know that.

Matrix / Slitherine - Ignore a Classic at your own Risk.

This game you own / administer / whatever - Steel Panthers World at War - this Red-Headed step-child of a game that came about due to the goofiest of circumstances. This free game that (last I checked) STILL has the third busiest Forum Board of all the games you distribute.

Unloved and abandoned by Matrix years ago.
Unable to function smoothly on any Windows system newer than XP.
Time appeared to be SPWaW’s enemy.

Matrix / Slitherine - You Got Lucky

Windows introduces 8.1 to the world.
And you guys - Matrix / Slitherine - having expended absolutely no effort at all - now have an old game from your stable of products working again.
Yes - SPWaW works just fine in Win 8/8.1

Matrix / Slitherine - SPWaW is not Dead

SPWaW is still being developed. Today. Right Now.
Did you know that Matrix / Slitherine?
Major Destruction is constantly adding to the Encyclopedia entries.
Some Polish dudes - PIBWL - have added a huge amount of new and improved graphics.
So has a contributor called Lord Nil
A new Manual is being reviewed prior to distribution right now as I type.
Scenarios, campaigns and maps are still being produced.

Matrix / Slitherine - Expand your Market Base.

Here’s a Pro-Tip about Win 8/8.1:
1 - It’s not that hard (especially for a big ol’ company like Matrix / Slitherine) to get a app/product/game approved for distro in the MS Windows store.
2 - The Military styled games offered on Win 8/8.1 are complete shyte. Utter rubbish.
There is No Competition

Matrix / Slitherine - Showcase your Product Line

Now just imagine for a minute here ..... Matrix offers their free Game - A Classic, Still Un-Rivalled to anything else out there - to the masses via the Win 8 store.
Do I need to connect all the dots on how this could benefit you Matrix / Slitherene?

Matrix / Slitherine - Some Effort Required

There is only one item, a “bug” that needs to be rectified.
It doesn’t bork the game, but is an irritant in what could be a seamless, modern experience.
It is an easily identifiable bug, with a solid work-around already available.
A simple GUI Interface issue.
What do you figure, maybe a hour or so of some coders time.

Matrix / Slitherine - I’m here to Help You

Create a new install file, one that’s all patched up to 8.403. One that starts the game through a mech.exe shortcut (ask if you don’t know what I’m talking about). It’s easy, freeware installers can do this, so can your paid software.
Clear out some of the cruft, if you wish I can send you a slimmed down version for review.

Matrix / Slitherine - Follow Me, you will be Enriched.

Talk to the Enhanced boys, talk to Major D. Speak out to everyone that has taken an interest in your game. It would take exactly One post on One Forum. Ask for permission to use their efforts. I can’t see where anyone would say no.

Matrix / Slitherine - Take my Hand. It will be OK

Bundle up the Enhanced Mod, along with anything else that adds value, add it all in and present to the world a New. Improved. Game. - Steel Panthers World at War V9.
Or how about this - Rebrand the bugger - World at War 1930-1949
Re-Branding is big in Marketing and Sales.

Matrix / Slitherine - Trust Me

Lets Review. A minimum of time and effort on your part. Help from the community will do some of the heavy lifting (OK, maybe not heavy lifting, but help non-the-less) with the bits that can be added.
The Matrix / Slitherine Brand makes ginormous inroads with the modern computer using public with a honkin’ wide demographic base.
All leveraged with a free game that was written off a long time ago.

Matrix / Slitherine - Don’t Drop the Ball

I’ll make fun of you if I’m ignored.
I’ll call you dumb everywhere I can cuz I think you would have to be kinda thick to not even explore the possibility.
Once I decided to do this, did you think I'd stop at one effort-post?
And if there is a response, I’ll be sitting down so there’ll be little chance of me falling on the and hitting my head.

Matrix / Slitherine - There could be so much more.

Just ask.

Thanks for reading this

yours Truly

MM

edited for clarity and spelling.
edited again: to repair obvious spel-cheker issues
Click below. You know you want to!!

Rodwonder

RE: Matrix / Slitherene - Opportunity Knocks

Post by Rodwonder »

Haven't been able to play SPWAW for seven years, I have a Vista machine it's kind of sad. Now I just stick to winSPWW2... But a new machine might be in the works for the near future :-)
Rod T DeMore
JEB Davis

Post by JEB Davis »

Major Mess is correct.

If Matrix doesn't WAKE UP and do something with this incredible game that needs a bit of TLC then Matrix is in a coma, or... dead to reality... or worse, just plain stupidly enamored with themselves.

How many pleas will Matrix continue to ignore?
And Matrix insults everyone by not even replying.
It couldn't be stated much better than Major Mess has just done.

Wake up and look at all the effort that has continued on the Depot and Enhanced forums, all for a free, outdated, partially-unfinished game that we still love and could with some effort become so much more for Matrix and for those that play it.
Reduce SP:WaW slaughter, "Low Carnage":
Settings: 80Spot,80Hit,100R/R,XXXTQ,110TkT,150InfT,180AvSoft,130AvArm,150SOFire / Command & Ctrl ON / AutoRally OFF
Enhanced http://enhanced.freeforums.org
Depot https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/spwawdepot/
rwenstrup

Post by rwenstrup »

There are some things that define the culture of an organization. The original Steel Panthers give away made Matrix. I have bought games intentionally from Matrix for many years as a result of this.
It is VERY much in Matrix's interest to continue to support this game...it is a source of considerable customer goodwill...something that people pay a lot to get...
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."
vonRocko

Post by vonRocko »

ORIGINAL: Rodwonder

Haven't been able to play SPWAW for seven years, I have a Vista machine it's kind of sad. Now I just stick to winSPWW2... But a new machine might be in the works for the near future :-)

Same here, only win7. Matrix still has the gall to charge $50 for a game that doesn't work on anything newer than xp!!?
wings7

Post by wings7 »

He has some important points [X(], are we going to get a response from Matrix / Slitherine?

Patrick
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

Guys this game was developed a long time ago and for older operating system. It is still a great game and we still have a lot of people happy to pay the price. However we are not in a position to update the old code to bring it to newer operating systems as its more work than creating a full new game because the code base is sol old and patched.

That's not to say Steel Panthers is a dead end, but that we don't have any plans to do a OS upgrade for the old version.

It is also not a game you can just throw any developers at to do a remake. To make a real Steel Panthers game you need a real Steel Panthers team and there are not many of those available.
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi guys,

We are listening and taking your feedback into account.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Major_Mess

Post by Major_Mess »

Thank You Iain for your response.

It’s heartening to know that my cheeky attempt of getting some attention around here succeeded. And to allay any fears, I didn’t fall off of my chair, so all is good.

Iain, I don’t know where to start ...
ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil

Guys this game was developed a long time ago and for older operating system. It is still a great game and we still have a lot of people happy to pay the price. However we are not in a position to update the old code to bring it to newer operating systems as its more work than creating a full new game because the code base is sol old and patched.

That's not to say Steel Panthers is a dead end, but that we don't have any plans to do a OS upgrade for the old version.

It is also not a game you can just throw any developers at to do a remake. To make a real Steel Panthers game you need a real Steel Panthers team and there are not many of those available.

It looks to me that you’ve referenced the files on this game, did a quick read through on the decision process to EOL the game, then regurgitated this answer to us.
I realize that you’re new to the Matrix side of things, that’s understood ..... but.

Iain, I don’t mean to be rude, or disparage you and your Firm by any means, but we’ve got to do a bit better on the subject at hand. I figure it won't be long before the Mob gets all snarky on us if we continue this way.

Iain, I’d like to ask you to do a couple of things for me, for us .... Please.
One: Re-read my original post.

Now, right here I’d like to add a little content to your post.
Guys this game was developed a long time ago and for older operating system. It is still a great game
I know this. Everybody knows this. People that have never played the game know this. No need to remind any of us of the basics.

[center]__________[/center]

and we still have a lot of people happy to pay the price.
Please, Please don’t tell me that THIS is the crux of the matter?
There’s no need to do anything, it’s generating enough coin as is.
Is that it?
Is that from Corporate?

[center]I've separated this from the other comments. I want people to read this.[/center]

[center]__________[/center]
However we are not in a position to update the old code to bring it to newer operating systems as its more work than creating a full new game because the code base is sol old and patched.
Either a somewhat disingenuous answer, or you never read my post.
No need to “create a new game”. Just repair the interface controls (forgive me if I am using wrong terminology) on one screen.
That’s.
It.
we don't have any plans to do a OS upgrade for the old version.
Ha Ha Ha, No need to Mate. MS has done it for you.
Job Done. Next Quote
It is also not a game you can just throw any developers at to do a remake.
Sigh .....

Please re-read my first post.

Iain, the second thing I would like you to do is to spend a small part of your day on this.
Lets call it “Customer Service”.

Believe me - no disrespect intended, you will have a more thorough knowledge base to work with, you’ll know what you’re talking about.

Find yourself a Computer with Windows 8.1 on it.
Now, install the “great game” that you (sometimes) Moderate and that your Company still “sells”.
Try to find the Patches your outfit created. There is three in all.
No easy task on the Matrix board?, the Internet will help you.
Spend only a moment reflecting on why that simple task is so onerous.
Spend no time on why do you have to patch it up in the first place. I think we should tackle one thing at a time here, n’est pas?

When you’ve updated the game to 8.403, play it.

Really, spend a hour or so at it. You know, for research. For Science!
You might even gain an inkling as to why this game Still has such a large community worldwide.

Now tell me the Artillery Screen doesn’t piss you off.
(Pro-Tip: The work-around for this bug - I’ve mapped a button on my Mouse to click Shift & L/Click together and the Arty Screen works flawlessly now.)
Now tell me - there is nothing that can be done about this? This same task that works perfectly on all other screens on the very same game.

I would really appreciate that Iain.

Iain,
I only ask one more thing from you, that you don’t take my efforts here the wrong way.

Respectfully Yours

Major Mess

Major_Mess

Post by Major_Mess »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Hi guys,

We are listening and taking your feedback into account.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik, Thank You.

I remember your name from the old days.
Could you take a look at this, maybe help get Iain up to speed.

Yours Truly

Major Mess

Jafele

Post by Jafele »

I consider Steel Panthers is a classic that should be updated or upgraded. It´s a great opportunity for Matrix and a huge number of customers. Matrix is making an exceptional work with other classics: JTCS and TOAW III. They are the people able to do this kind of job. Perhaps some improvements could be worked: OS compatibility, bug fixes and a better ui. I don´t know.

But I know many wargamers wouldn´t like to see this classic die [:(]
Las batallas contra las mujeres son las únicas que se ganan huyendo.

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE

Cuando el necio oye la verdad se carcajea, porque si no lo hiciera la verdad no sería la verdad.

LAO TSE
Sotamies Riitaoja

Post by Sotamies Riitaoja »

Howdy all!

I just had to sign in and give my input to this subject.

A reboot of the Steel Panthers game series would be absolutely fantastic! No other game comes even close to what Steel Panthers has to offer. Sadly the age of the game is starting to show. Limited resolution and poor compatibility with modern computer systems is slowly killing it. [:(]

Matrix Games and Slitherine could team up with Gary Grigsby and make a Steel Panthers 4 but I think they may be afraid that they will not get enough profit from the game. After all they need to hire coders and graphics artist, etc. It is not at all that sertain a new Steel Panthers game would make enough money or be noticed in todays market.

However I think there are alot of people who still remember Steel Panthers and would like to play a new version of the game.

So I was thinking about the Kickstarter crowdfunding method. This way Matrix Games could calculate a budget for making the game and then raise the money with Kickstarter.
If the project fails to secure the income then Matrixgames would not lose much and we would know that there is not a large enough crowd for a new Steel Panthers game.

In any case I do hope this great game series will make a comeback someday at least before the fans die of old age waiting for it!
[&o]
Jafele

Post by Jafele »

Once Gary mentioned Steel Panthers was the game he most enjoyed creating in his career. Who knows what tomorrow may bring?

SP was originally released in 1995, since then loads of people have been playing. After 20 years there are still many forums dedicated to this classic game. Is out there many games with these merits or am I missing something? Obviously SP is being absurdly mistreated. [:@]

Las batallas contra las mujeres son las únicas que se ganan huyendo.

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE

Cuando el necio oye la verdad se carcajea, porque si no lo hiciera la verdad no sería la verdad.

LAO TSE
KG Erwin

RE: Matrix / Slitherine - Opportunity Knocks

Post by KG Erwin »

The obvious problem is that the game would have to be rewritten from the ground up. Former Matrix programmer Michael Wood helped some of us along in our previous upgrades, but he admitted that the code was so old it had reached the end of its usefulness. I am thankful that he did help, though. If it wasn't for him the Enhanced version would never have seen the light of the day.

Even at that, it's still my all-time favorite game, and I still regularly play it.
mkr8683

Post by mkr8683 »

Major.. your avatar is the reason your message is not being received clearly.

Despite your best efforts, you're holding up progress on a new SP.

[:D]

Matt
*former user name Matt R*
Major_Mess

Post by Major_Mess »

ORIGINAL: mkr8683

Major.. your avatar is the reason your message is not being received clearly.

Despite your best efforts, you're holding up progress on a new SP.

[:D]

Matt

Ha Ha Ha!

Do you think that's it?

OK, fair enough, I've changed my Avatar to one a bit friendlier (I hope)

Mr. McNeil, have you per chance been able to take another look at this?

(oh, and by the way. I've been informed that you are not only an Administrator, and and Director ..... but you are one of the founders of Slitherine.
Nice.
Thanks again for your previous response.)

So far I'm kinda disappointed, but I'm patient to a fault, and I know you're a busy guy.

So, Give it a try.

Come On.

What have you got to lose?

Already free game packaged up for Win 8.

Seems like a no-brainer from this corner.

Yours Truly

Major Mess

mkr8683

Post by mkr8683 »

That's a much better avatar :)

I don't understand why our old girl has been adrift in the ocean for so long. The sheer amount of scenarios, campaigns, and mods for this one game is staggering. Why they haven't capitalized on this, I just don't know.

I'd like to know, though. Like you said, opportunity knocks. As I said before, I'd gladly fork out a hundred bucks for a new SP.

Thinking I got in over my head with the Nam mod. If they just unlocked the helicopter code.. but too much has been done with it to just let it go.

Maybe one day something will happen. Like we've been saying for the past decade.

Matt
*former user name Matt R*
bob55

Post by bob55 »

I would gladly purchase a new version reconfigured for the new OS's....!!!!!

With the current popularity of the older version, and all of the communities committed to keeping the ol' girl going, it would certainly be in Matrix's interest to invest a little effort into updating this game!
lparkh

Post by lparkh »

For those of you who have also played Conflict of Heroes, Lock and Load, or Close Combat, what would make you prefer a new SP to those titles?
Don Doom

Post by Don Doom »

ORIGINAL: lparkh

For those of you who have also played Conflict of Heroes, Lock and Load, or Close Combat, what would make you prefer a new SP to those titles?
Yes I would. I have a warm spot in my Heart for the old gal! I would pay for a updated version of her!
Doom
Vet of the Russian General Winter
For death is only the begining

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”