visibility of enemy units

Command Ops: Battles From The Bulge takes the highly acclaimed Airborne Assault engine back to the West Front for the crucial engagements during the Ardennes Offensive. Test your command skills in the fiery crucible of Airborne Assault’s “pausable continuous time” uber-realistic game engine. It's up to you to develop the strategy, issue the orders, set the pace, and try to win the laurels of victory in the cold, shadowy Ardennes.
Command Ops: Highway to the Reich brings us to the setting of one of the most epic and controversial battles of World War II: Operation Market-Garden, covering every major engagement along Hell’s Highway, from the surprise capture of Joe’s Bridge by the Irish Guards a week before the offensive to the final battles on “The Island” south of Arnhem.

Moderators: Panther Paul, Arjuna

rusty02

visibility of enemy units

Post by rusty02 »

absolute noob here - the tutorial movies show both American and German units as visible, while my tutorial scenario shows only the Americans. Is this a result of limited visibility or incorrect unit filter settings? Thanks for your help
jimcarravall

RE: visibility of enemy units

Post by jimcarravall »

ORIGINAL: aviatik

absolute noob here - the tutorial movies show both American and German units as visible, while my tutorial scenario shows only the Americans. Is this a result of limited visibility or incorrect unit filter settings? Thanks for your help

It's termed "fog of war."

Some of the movies show all the units in combat to illustrate the game operations absent visibility constraints.

The game is set up to provide the human commander only that information which could be obtained by his units in a position capable of "seeing" an enemy unit given the terrain, weather, and daylight effects.

You'll find some more discussion of visibility on Pg. 166 of the game manual "Spotting and LOS" (LOS - Line of Sight), and Pg. 170 of the game manual "Night, Weather and Visibility."

To understand utilities that provide insight into what a unit should see from its location, search the manual for "LOS Tool" and "Threat Tool."
Take care,

jim
dazkaz15

Post by dazkaz15 »

Hi aviatik, welcome to the forum.

You don't say what side your are playing, but you may have inadvertently pressed one of the number keys that will filter the units.
Press the number 1 on your keyboard to select no filtering.
You can also change the level of intelligence by clicking on the intel button in the bottom bar of the UI.

Attachments
Untitled1.jpg
Untitled1.jpg (171.05 KiB) Viewed 150 times
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

Also check the unit type filter. Hit the "1" key to show all units.

And check that the unit display button on the display toolbar is active.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
rusty02

Post by rusty02 »

Thanks all for your replies; it turned out to be the Intel Filter setting (none). Haven't delved into the manual yet, thought I would start out with the tutorial movies and try to follow along. My initial impression of the game is that it handles a tremendous amount of information in an efficient, clean manner. Will slowly keep plugging away with the tutorials.
jimcarravall

Post by jimcarravall »

Thanks all for your replies; it turned out to be the Intel Filter setting (none). Haven't delved into the manual yet, thought I would start out with the tutorial movies and try to follow along. My initial impression of the game is that it handles a tremendous amount of information in an efficient, clean manner. Will slowly keep plugging away with the tutorials.

The Game Manual is the best first step in understanding the richness of the game.

If the explanation in the Game Manual falls short of answering the question I had, I sometimes find the more refined information in the Map Maker Manual, Scenario Maker Manual, and Estab Editor Manual useful for addressing game issues.
Take care,

jim
springel

Post by springel »

A word of warning for the tutorial campaign:

It has become very much harder to win with the recent patches, so expect your results to differ considerably from the tutorial. This can be frustrating unfortunately.

Return to “Command Ops Series”