New Title Announced.

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian, WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin

z1812

New Title Announced.

Post by z1812 »

Hi all,

I read this over at grog heads.

"The developers of the great surprise of 2013, Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm, have announced the next chapter in this realistic wargaming series.

This new release covers the southern part of the southern of the West-German front in this ‘what if’ Nato vs. Warsaw Pact conflict. Flashpoint Campaigns: Southern Storm will have all the great features of its predecessor and introduces a host of new elements. New maps, campaigns, scenarios and countries are included, as well as engine improvements. Players will be able to control forces from the US, UK, Soviet Union, West Germany, France, Canada, Czechoslovakia and East-Germany.

Flashpoint Campaigns: Southern Storm is expect to release early 2015."

I wonder if it installs under Red Storm or if it is a stand alone game.

I had hoped that any additions to Red Storm would be as modules and that the next title would be something different.

What do others think?
Mad Russian

RE: New Title Announced.

Post by Mad Russian »

I think you'll like it.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
Panta_slith

Post by Panta_slith »

In which sense this new game would be so different from the present FPG RS? I wouldn't buy more of the same, actually. Same hardware and tactics, similar countryside, different TOEs...Is that enough?
Panta Astiazarán
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Panta, several things SS with have over RS.
1. The 2.1 game engine with new features/improvements
2. Improved UI (new skin and some adjustments for new features)
3. New maps (and improved art), new scenarios, new camps and new data for the Southern front.
4. Inclusion of RS dataset for some of the scenario scenarios and user content support.

We are still working on the details of RS integration, but we would like to have SS work with RS if you own RS so you can play RS scenarios/camps with the new 2.1 engine. I'm sure more of this stuff will get hammered out over the next few months as we get out of 2.04 for RS and shift gears to the 2.1 stuff for SS.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

new arena, new units, new maps, more battles and campaigns, same tactics and its similar armies tbh, ie tanks etc

i'm in, sounds good to me

[;)]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Sorry I should have said still 1980s.

pekische

Post by pekische »

This is very important for me:
if you own RS so you can play RS scenarios/camps with the new 2.1 engine.

I'll definitely buy SS, but I want to play RS also with engine 2.1. Even with patches 2.03 and 2.04 RS will not be a completed game, still just concept (of course wonderful concept;). And I would consider unfair if I would have to buy still missing base game mechanics like new game. That's why I am glad to hear Capn Darwin´s words.

Good luck devs!

Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

Ummm new title or DLC???

I think is new title, you add an extra nation to the evil WP forces [:D]
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

It's going to be a stand alone game that we hope we can layer over an existing RS build for those folks who own RS. There are still a ton of details and issues we need to address. I would expect us to talk more about the game after Origins in mid June. [8D]

SwampYankee68

Post by SwampYankee68 »

Excellent news.
"The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me!"
Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

Thanks for the reply.

I like the idea of try layer over RS, is for me a good point because you avoid have 2 installations specially when like in this case looks like RS:SS (ummm maybe sound better RS:SoS, SoSo has a not specially good translation into my language hahahaha) offers all from RS at least in nations/hardware, other history are the maps.

Maybe the only "problem" is in how show scens... maybe a check box to show RS scens and/or RS:SoS scens in editor maybe you can do the same to.

Waiting more info, good luck.
Werewolf13

Post by Werewolf13 »

Well - gotta be at least one nay sayer in every crowd.

New engine - GREAT!

Same time period but Southern Germany - <shoulder shrug>. Been there done that. More trees, rougher terrain. BUT IMO essentially just FPC:RS.

If you're gonna stay in Germany make it a new module that upgrades FPC:RS to the new engine (I'd pay for that) and adds the new maps, campaigns and scenarios.

Gonna make it a whole new game then move the time period, maybe Gulf War 1 or 2 with hypotheticals (the Iraqis had their act together or maybe the US couldn't ship quite so many troops there - wouldn't have to be a stomp down like it was). I'd kind'a like to see a hypothetical invasion of the US from Mexico by a Russian led coalition of Latin American nations for example. Or maybe something like China invading Japan or rolling into SE Asia.

Now those would be worthy of whole new game status! But just updating the engine and staying in Germany - nah...
Freedom is not free! Nor should it be. For men being men will neither fight for nor value that which is free.

Michael Andress
Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

I think the same, the serie needs some historical titles... but maybe first i dont say no to an army/map pack... not as separate game, as DLC to complete some missing armies.

Over Gulf war i prefer Arab-Israel wars BUT if they release a Gulf war + Iran-Irak War as bonus... something to compensante the one side fight... or as you say add what if variants like URSS doesnt fall and send an expeditionary force to help Irak for example.

China... this could be a good point for a secondary line in RS, China invade Japan, China invade Taiwan, China/north Korea invade South Korea...

Options options options... but not time and resources to cover all them [:(]

PD: a little question you are going to touch the infantry model??? i refer leave it as is now or introduce number of soldiers to show better damage over infantry units??? i think in new title we can expect see more infantry troops... like mountain troops.
wodin

Post by wodin »

Sounds great to me..I disagree with Werewolf..I'd rather the engine grow and develop centered on this theater. Then hopefully go onto to say Vietnam and a WW2 game. I def would not be interested in a Gulf War version..way to one sided and holds no interest at all for me.

Sad that people are going to turn their backs on this as the more they sell the more likely we will see new titles covering other Wars\Theaters. If people turn their back on the enxt title I doubt we'll see anything after..which would be a crying shame.

I kind of agree that maybe a expansion would have been better than a full release sill I will buy as I want to see more from OTS in the future.
Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

Well, the question is how works the new title... i explain this.

If they release RS:SoS as separate title for guys that dont have RS BUT guys with RS have it as DLC/add-on/expansion with no new installation and you can have all material in a title... and they release it with a discount for RS owners is not a bad movement, people can buy the 2nd and more complete title and if they like it buy RS as add-on/DLC/expansion not as new title... and if they only plan release a 3rd thing for Flashpoint campaigns in Europe maybe as DLC/add-on/expansion is a good idea because people can complete the titles they have cheaper, call it bonus track, without the work of a new title.

Lets see, we have a lot of time to know more about game and their plans.
pekische

Post by pekische »

Yeah DLC would be really better model but it is not so important for me, I will buy new product in any way to support devs.

I agree with Wodin and with devs to stay in German theater and in the same time period. There is still a lot of work to make engine better and better. There is no need to rush. The potential of the theater and period of RS wasn´t realized completely. Until engine is perfect, it is not necessary to change the war.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

You guys are hitting all of the little issues we need to work on both internally and with S/M. Our goal is to support one game engine as we move forward. There are only so many hours of free time to work this project. [8D]

Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

ORIGINAL: Werewolf1326

Well - gotta be at least one nay sayer in every crowd.

New engine - GREAT!

Same time period but Southern Germany - <shoulder shrug>. Been there done that. More trees, rougher terrain. BUT IMO essentially just FPC:RS.

If you're gonna stay in Germany make it a new module that upgrades FPC:RS to the new engine (I'd pay for that) and adds the new maps, campaigns and scenarios.

What we've done since we released the game is make improvements recommended by you, the community. Also killed a few bugs along the way. Had some discussions about aesthetics and overall game play.

We've patched all this together. What we want to do is polish all that up and add more content.

Remember us? We're the ones that have been giving you free content with patches. I wouldn't worry that you're not going to get your monies worth from FPC:SS. But of course, no game is for everybody.

Gonna make it a whole new game then move the time period, maybe Gulf War 1 or 2 with hypotheticals (the Iraqis had their act together or maybe the US couldn't ship quite so many troops there - wouldn't have to be a stomp down like it was). I'd kind'a like to see a hypothetical invasion of the US from Mexico by a Russian led coalition of Latin American nations for example. Or maybe something like China invading Japan or rolling into SE Asia.

Now those would be worthy of whole new game status! But just updating the engine and staying in Germany - nah...

As to these hypothetical ideas, they can be done. Adding new maps and terrain, updating the game and the scenarios, which need to be rebalanced, all needs a bit of love. After that we'll see where it takes us.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
z1812

Post by z1812 »

Lots of games add DLC's, or modules instead of releasing a new title where the content is familiar and some content exactly the same.

Some companies sell a new engine as an upgrade.

I imagine some companies do this as they regard it as a way to generate consistent revenue.

I prefer new titles to be different from the original one. Although I do not mind paying for expansions and/or engine upgrades for the older games.

The idea of having a series always being backwards compatible with the previous games when it comes to the engine is quite attractive.

I don't mind paying for a new title covering the same area but I would hope the content and engine could be used seamlessly with FPRS.
MikeGER

Post by MikeGER »

...will the 2.1 FCSS game have the new finer grid hex-resolution?
(IIRC, that was talked about somewhere here in the forums) or is that further down the roadmap of FC games development?

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”