Newbie:Weather, Air Attacks and LCU Move

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Werewolf13

Newbie:Weather, Air Attacks and LCU Move

Post by Werewolf13 »

[&:]

Playing Guadalcanal scenario as Allies. Advanced weather.

How is it possible that air attacks not only occur but are successful in hexes that are overcast, or have heavy rain, severe weather, thunderstorms etc. Are the units lying (FOW?) or actually attacking and hitting targets? Seems a stretch especially in hexes where it is noted that there is heavy rain or thunderstorms.

On the 1st day of the campaign I ordered the 30th Aus Inf Bgd to the hex due east of Port Moresby. 10th Aug and the darn brigade hasn't moved out of PM? WTF?

NOTE: I'm only about 1/2 thru the manual. Lots to absorb. Probably missed something important.

Freedom is not free! Nor should it be. For men being men will neither fight for nor value that which is free.

Michael Andress
Bullwinkle58

RE: Newbie:Weather, Air Attacks and LCU Move

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Werewolf1326

How is it possible that air attacks not only occur but are successful in hexes that are overcast, or have heavy rain, severe weather, thunderstorms etc. Are the units lying (FOW?) or actually attacking and hitting targets? Seems a stretch especially in hexes where it is noted that there is heavy rain or thunderstorms.

On the 1st day of the campaign I ordered the 30th Aus Inf Bgd to the hex due east of Port Moresby. 10th Aug and the darn brigade hasn't moved out of PM? WTF?

NOTE: I'm only about 1/2 thru the manual. Lots to absorb. Probably missed something important.

Read Section 8.3.1

Hover over the unit icon. It will tell you what the progress toward the set goal has been since you gave the move order. Consider the terrain.
The Moose
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

Weather is discussed in s.7.2.1.12 and s.12.1 of the manual.

1.  Bad weather does not provide a 100% guarantee that an air strike will not take off or arrive on target.  The worse the weather conditions, the greater the likelihood that the air operation will be adversely affected.

2.  The map is divided into 9 quadrants.  When you look at the weather map it will show the same climatic conditions for all hexes in the same quadrant.  But within the quadrant itself, not all hexes will necessarily have the same climatic conditions.  You would need to click on each hex in the quadrant to see the variance from the norm.

3.  Climatic conditions only matter at:

(a) the takeoff hex, and
(b) the target hex

Climatic conditions in between the two hexes have no impact.  For the two relevant hexes die rolls occur.  The outcome can therefore be that a strike package does not take off at all, or does take off in poor conditions and delivers its package in poor (or good) conditions, or takes off in poor conditions and fails to deliver because of poor conditions at the target.

Alfred 
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

ORIGINAL: Werewolf1326

Read Section 8.3.1

Hover over the unit icon. It will tell you what the progress toward the set goal has been since you gave the move order. Consider the terrain.

Clicking on the unit to bring up the unit interface will show you the progress toward the destination hex in the upper right corner.

Bear in mind that the hexes are huge.....46 statute miles (40 nautical miles) across.

Look for the part in the manual on movement rates. The only times you will see land units moving more than one hex in a turn is in strategic mode, 5 hexes on light rail, 10 hexes on heavy rail and a couple of hexes by major road.
Under al other conditions it will take multiple turns to move a single hex. Roughly about two weeks to move one hex through jungle mountain terrain.
Hans

Werewolf13

Post by Werewolf13 »

ORIGINAL: Alfred

Weather is discussed in s.7.2.1.12 and s.12.1 of the manual.

1.  Bad weather does not provide a 100% guarantee that an air strike will not take off or arrive on target.  The worse the weather conditions, the greater the likelihood that the air operation will be adversely affected.

2.  The map is divided into 9 quadrants.  When you look at the weather map it will show the same climatic conditions for all hexes in the same quadrant.  But within the quadrant itself, not all hexes will necessarily have the same climatic conditions.  You would need to click on each hex in the quadrant to see the variance from the norm.

3.  Climatic conditions only matter at:

(a) the takeoff hex, and
(b) the target hex

Climatic conditions in between the two hexes have no impact.  For the two relevant hexes die rolls occur.  The outcome can therefore be that a strike package does not take off at all, or does take off in poor conditions and delivers its package in poor (or good) conditions, or takes off in poor conditions and fails to deliver because of poor conditions at the target.

Alfred 

What I am seeing is that in the hexes being subject to air attack almost all in both the combat animation and the combat report are showing overcast, heavy rain, or thunderstorms.

Are you saying that the reports are reporting the weather for the zone and not the weather over the hex being attacked?
Freedom is not free! Nor should it be. For men being men will neither fight for nor value that which is free.

Michael Andress
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

Thanks for the correction on the hover. Unless I'm looking at the interface I often don't remember how something works.
The Moose

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”