3rd Reich

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

bo

3rd Reich

Post by bo »

While waiting for this great game to be finished I have started to play computer 3rd Reich again after a long period of time. Slowly coming back to me but very slowly [:(]

Does anyone have the pdf file on the rules of the game?

The game is 32mb in size and you might be able to play it if I send it to you, anyone interested? It plays very well IMO.

Bo
okiemcguire

RE: 3rd Reich

Post by okiemcguire »

Will this work?
Attachments
ThirdReichRules.zip
(628.8 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
"Robur Ex Vigilantia," meaning "In Vigilance is Strength"

okiemcguire

Post by okiemcguire »

Or this one, for the PC Game...
Attachments
Third_Reich_manual.zip
(3.41 MiB) Downloaded 55 times

bo

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: okiemcguire

Or this one, for the PC Game...
It was this one Steve thank you very much, I was suprised how well the AI plays in the first couple of years but I think in the end game it falters, just do not remember that well, but I shall give it a go, I know the key to the game is armored exploitation.

Do you have the computer version?

Bo
AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

I have it, but I was usually not able to finish a game due to a bug. Building PC versions of complex boardgames is not easy.
bo

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: AxelNL

I have it, but I was usually not able to finish a game due to a bug. Building PC versions of complex boardgames is not easy.

Your right about that AxeINL as we have found out the hard way with MWIF [:(]

Bo

Twisted1

Post by Twisted1 »

Love this game and still play it when I can. Not had a bug in a very long time!
On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died.
Adlai E. Stevenson
Dr. Foo

Post by Dr. Foo »

How are you able to get it to run? I've had no luck getting it to load on windows 8.1
*Warning: Dr. Foo is not an actual doctor.
Do not accept or follow any medical advice*
juntoalmar

Post by juntoalmar »

Hi,

I play it from Mac OS using DOSBox, and haven't got any problems. You can use 3RGold to implement some of the variants, and fix some BRP problems in the game.

I have a blog where I'm writing an AAR (the full play, 21 entries by now) about 3R PC Version, if you are interested:

http://cabezadepuente.blogspot.com/

It's in spanish, though.

It has been my favorite wargame, until I have discovered MWiF... :)
(my humble blog about wargames, in spanish) http://cabezadepuente.blogspot.com.es/
brian brian

Post by brian brian »

ORIGINAL: juntoalmar

I think a whole lot of people right here on this forum could say the same. ?

this thread makes me want to play it again kinda
bo

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: brian brian

I think a whole lot of people right here on this forum could say the same. ?

this thread makes me want to play it again kinda

Hi Brian

3rd Reich is a fast beer and pretzels game, very much like MWIF in the counting of attack factors in getting the best odds for attacks, but other than that not near MWIF for realism and having to think about what you are doing every move.

I started playing it last week after years of putting it aside, just starting to get back to the way it plays, I played the allies just to see what the German AI would do, wow it was devastating, tore me to shreds, Poland, France etc. Crushed the allies nothing I could do to stop the AI. The German Panzers 4-6 units are deadly.

There is no question in my mind that MWIF is a much more realistic game, much deeper than 3rd Reich, but there is a feature in 3rd Reich called panzer exploitation that makes the panzers much more deadly than in MWIF. Also the ability of the panzers with their 6 movement factor being used to create huge pincer moves encircling many Russian units and in most cases destroying them when they are out of supply without having to actually attack each unit.

Another feature which is good and bad is the speed of the AI, its move is over in seconds, the bad part is you have to go over the whole map carefully to see what the AI did. I play it on windows XP, not sure how it plays, if at all on other windows.

I believe it can be downloaded from several sites for free, if your interested.

Bo

Twisted1

Post by Twisted1 »

3RGold

OK, I give. What is this and where can I get it? I am sorry I never heard of this before.

I have not had any success getting it to work on windows 7. I have a very VERY old computer with windows XP I keep just for this game (much to the chagrin of my wife who wants me to get rid of it!)

On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died.
Adlai E. Stevenson
Ostwindflak

Post by Ostwindflak »

I too had not heard of this game before. I looked up a review video of it on you tube. It seems interesting with it's use of "BRPs". (Assuming I am looking at the correct game in which the PC version was released in 1995). It seems to me that Bo's assessment of the game is spot on. It does not seem overly complicated to learn and looks fairly easy to get into; however the balancing of the BRPs give that added level of strategic planning needed to make it a engrossing game. I will look around for a version that may run on a Vista 64 OS. Thanks for posting about it Bo! [:)]
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

ORIGINAL: bo
3rd Reich is a fast beer and pretzels game, very much like MWIF in the counting of attack factors in getting the best odds for attacks, but other than that not near MWIF for realism and having to think about what you are doing every move.

No, I would not categorize this classic grand strategy game as 'beer and pretzels.' Simpler than MWIF of course, but not simple enough that thinking about what you do each turn is optional, unless you don't care about what you do. Except for a few unrealistic gambits that ruined some early version games, I found the 3rd and 4th edition Third Reich and then Advanced Third Reich did a pretty good job simulating the ebb and flow things. That makes for an enjoyable game, playable in a reasonable amount of time. I never really got into the additional complexity of the A World At War version. I am struggling with the additional complexity of MWIF. It may be more realistic with most of the optional rules turned on, but whether it will be more enjoyable is the big question. Once the ETO scenario is finished, once the AI is finished, once I get to play through a complete game or two. We shall see... In the meantime there is still 3rd Reich PC, if I can get it to run on Win 7, and my own A3R mod for Strategic Command Global Conflict Gold, if I ever get time to play it again.
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
bo

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: pzgndr

ORIGINAL: bo

No, I would not categorize this classic grand strategy game as 'beer and pretzels.' Simpler than MWIF of course, but not simple enough that thinking about what you do each turn is optional, unless you don't care about what you do. Except for a few unrealistic gambits that ruined some early version games, I found the 3rd and 4th edition Third Reich and then Advanced Third Reich did a pretty good job simulating the ebb and flow things. That makes for an enjoyable game, playable in a reasonable amount of time. I never really got into the additional complexity of the A World At War version. I am struggling with the additional complexity of MWIF. It may be more realistic with most of the optional rules turned on, but whether it will be more enjoyable is the big question. Once the ETO scenario is finished, once the AI is finished, once I get to play through a complete game or two. We shall see... In the meantime there is still 3rd Reich PC, if I can get it to run on Win 7, and my own A3R mod for Strategic Command Global Conflict Gold, if I ever get time to play it again.

Hi pzgndr

My version of a beer and pretzel game is the speed in which it can be played, not the quality of the game, it can be complex at times, I was only using that phrase as to compare it with MWIF. The game is a little more complex than the way I said it, my apoligies.

Bo
bo

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: Ostwindflak

I too had not heard of this game before. I looked up a review video of it on you tube. It seems interesting with it's use of "BRPs". (Assuming I am looking at the correct game in which the PC version was released in 1995). It seems to me that Bo's assessment of the game is spot on. It does not seem overly complicated to learn and looks fairly easy to get into; however the balancing of the BRPs give that added level of strategic planning needed to make it a engrossing game. I will look around for a version that may run on a Vista 64 OS. Thanks for posting about it Bo! [:)]

Yes Ost this is the game released in 1995 for the pc. I tried sending the game to a poster friend but for some reason my e-mail account did not like the looks of it and prohibited me from mailing it. This is the message I got below. Any solutions, I tried sending it by zip but I think the 32mb's was too large to send, help, I am not good at this, if anyone has a suggestion how to send this game to someone I would appreciate it.

Bo

Reason: SMTP transmission failure has occurred
Diagnostic code: smtp;552-5.7.0 This message was blocked because its content presents a potential issue. Please visit to review our message content and attachment content guidelines. ec4si7181645obb.82 - gsmtp
Remote system: dns;gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com (TCP|206.46.173.13|32915|173.194.77.27|25) (mx.google.com ESMTP ec4si7181645obb.82 - gsmtp
bo

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: Twisted1

3RGold

OK, I give. What is this and where can I get it? I am sorry I never heard of this before.

I have not had any success getting it to work on windows 7. I have a very VERY old computer with windows XP I keep just for this game (much to the chagrin of my wife who wants me to get rid of it!)

Are you referring to Avalon Hill's 3rd Reich or Battlefronts SC version?

Bo
bo

Post by bo »

Hi,

I play it from Mac OS using DOSBox, and haven't got any problems. You can use 3RGold to implement some of the variants, and fix some BRP problems in the game.

I have a blog where I'm writing an AAR (the full play, 21 entries by now) about 3R PC Version, if you are interested:

http://cabezadepuente.blogspot.com/

It's in spanish, though.

Jose HELP!

Bo
okiemcguire

Post by okiemcguire »

Twisted1

Post by Twisted1 »

I think I may have misspoken. I know what 3R is, I just never heard of 3Reich Gold. Is this a variant?
Adlai E. Stevenson

Return to “World in Flames”