Best way to provide air cover over a TF from land

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

margeorg

Best way to provide air cover over a TF from land

Post by margeorg »

And the next noob question for you:

What´s the most effective way to give air cover protection to a surface TF from land bases??? LR CAP with target, CAP with range setting, or something else? Point is I want to supply additional protection to a CV TF via land-based fighters. The TF will stay within range 2 to ensure that a maximum of fighters is available for protection.
Cheers
Martin
Bullwinkle58

RE: Best way to provide air cover over a TF from land

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: margeorg

And the next noob question for you:

What´s the most effective way to give air cover protection to a surface TF from land bases??? LR CAP with target, CAP with range setting, or something else? Point is I want to supply additional protection to a CV TF via land-based fighters. The TF will stay within range 2 to ensure that a maximum of fighters is available for protection.

IMO LRCAP with the TF as target. Still not perfect, but far better than depending on CAP to fill the 2-hex gap.
The Moose
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

Do you have multiple fighter squadrons? You might try mixing LRCAP with regular CAP, since LRCAP is less effective over TFs than regular CAP (but regular CAP is weakened the further it is from its own base). I would try to keep the CV TFs within one hex of the air base so that the regular CAP can be more effective.
fair winds,
Brad
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

Do you have multiple fighter squadrons? You might try mixing LRCAP with regular CAP, since LRCAP is less effective over TFs than regular CAP (but regular CAP is weakened the further it is from its own base). I would try to keep the CV TFs within one hex of the air base so that the regular CAP can be more effective.

Yes, this is the best way. Three or four hexes away then it has to be long range CAP. Use the drop tanks if you have them.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
margeorg

Post by margeorg »

Within 1 hex is possible, there is deep water such close to the port. Should I use drop tanks even if the distance is so short - and should I limit the range for the fighters to that distance?

@bradforkay: I will have 2 squads providing cover.
Cheers
Martin
Endy

Post by Endy »

The manual also states this:
Long Range CAP over Air Combat TF’s is only 20% as effective as over other units since it’s harder to coordinate with an Air Combat TF that is constantly changing course and is using radio silence.

I'm wondering what happens though if you put it over a SAG in the same hex and if enemy bombers decide to attack the CVs in this hex...

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”