National Air Force Reserve and German play

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

Champagne

National Air Force Reserve and German play

Post by Champagne »

I have read the manual, and, I'm trying to figure out the best way for the human German player to handle the National Air Force Reserve function of the game.

My first impression is that it should be left alone so that the AI funnels replacements automatically.

I pose the question because I'm a noob at this game and probably am missing something.
Only the dead have seen the end of War.

-- Plato
Tankzen

RE: National Air Force Reserve and German play

Post by Tankzen »

One thing I can say for sure about Luftwaffe controls, the more you mess with them, the more likely plans are likely to stay parked on the ground. Generally, I manage spent units by disbanding them. I find replacement become available in sufficient numbers and sooner from the pool that why. I disband bomber and fighter units that have less than 6 available and fewer than 4 or 5 damaged. I wouldn't personally dare to make production or pool changes. The systems still is very qwercky and if you want supplies and bombers to fly your HQ needs to be on a rail head. Perhaps the most under looked and misunderstood part of the Luftwaffe is damaged and repair of aircraft. Setting percent required to fly too low will cause your damage pile to grow and overwhelm repairs. If your airbase is not receiving adequate supplies or is far from the HQ do not expect anymore that a few aircraft to be repaired.
In summary, according to my opinion and experience, the best way to manage the reserve is not to monkey with it, and manage you airbases and units closely by disbanding spent units.
Tankzen
DorianGray

Post by DorianGray »

I don't know if I would recommend disbanding Luftwaffe units. The number of Luftwaffe units GHC receives is finite and somewhat limited. It is a bit frustrating, later in the war, having all those aircraft sitting in pools and no units to put them in.

As far as % required to fly, I found the following pretty successful. On turn 1, I set the required to fly to 5%. I bump it 5% every turn until it reaches 50%, then I leave it alone.

I also keep my airbases and HQs pretty close to railheads.
HermanGraf

Post by HermanGraf »

So I spend about an hour just on turn 1 looking at my Luftwaffe Air Force bases. It seems a lot of your Air Force comes in pretty damaged and fatigued in. 1941. I read in the manual that sending them to the national reserve was the only way to replenish them an get their moral up. I sent the most damaged units to national reserve to see how quickly they rest and refit. I am only on turn 2 in the grand campaign and I took a look at their readiness, it seems like they have already replenished! Maybe I am wrong but I'll check again. Some have 27 (27) planes ready! When before it was only like. 4 (20) ready. Anyway if some1 can shine a light on this it would be great.
swkuh

Post by swkuh »

As for Luftwaffe management in WitE, "leave them alone and they will come home, wagging their tails behind them." Not much is gained by micro managing Luftwaffe units, planes, bases. Game code does pretty good job, IMHO.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”