AI ignores FOW

Germany At War: Operation Barbarossa 1941 is an elegant turn-based design, inspired by classics such as Panzer General, but with more of a historical focus. You command the German forces through a branching historical campaign covering the entire 1941 campaign as well as part of the 1942 campaign. Dozens of scenarios stretch from the Soviet border all the way to Archangel and towards Astrakhan, the original military goals of Operation Barbarossa. Step into a wargame where your performance will rewrite history, through an addictive combination of compelling gameplay, realistic events and challenging battles.

Moderator: Ronald Wendt

Ronald Wendt

AI ignores FOW

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Hello,

several players had the feel that the AI was cheating in respects of the FOW - no one could bring in proof.
And while we could not do anything about it without a savegame or the like, we still had those claims in mind.

Finally during our tests to polish v1.05 we could isolate a case that showed the problem.

As it turns out you were right, well almost. Its not designed to cheat, there is a bug in the update of the FOW at the end of the turn which enabled the AI to see units it was not supposed to see.

This will be fixed in version 1.05.

All is well that ends well. [;)]

Regards,
zakblood

RE: AI ignores FOW

Post by zakblood »

thanks for the update and the fix, never seen it of thought it tbh, but thanks anyway
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
tombo

Post by tombo »

great news...very good game. Keep polishing.[;)]

cheers!
Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Hello guys,

you are welcome. We will keep improving the game for sure. v1.05 will resolve a lot of little annoyances to improve your gaming experience. [:)]

Regards,
tombo

Post by tombo »

update to 1.05 and FOG fix?
cheers
Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Hello tombo,

the update 1.05 should fix the FOW issues players had and some more.

Regards,
Jemus

Post by Jemus »

I think this is still an issue.

Just an example: I was playing the Tallinn-map and I was desperatly trying to hide my fighter and my bomber. Although I had conquered the whole south, the enemy always easily reached my two planes. I mean the russians had absolutely no army or City there, consequently the fog of war should be intact. However no matter where I was trying to send my two planes the AI shot them down in the next round.

There is another thing which bothers me: You shouldn't be able to refill your units while several enemies are standing next to you. I sent three units to a city (same map as mentioned above) which was defended by one infantry. However, I attacked this unit until it only had a strength of 1. But in the next round the AI just regrouped it and it had the whole strength again. This is quite annoying. Additionally it's not very realistic either.

I am enjoying this game anyway but these two "features" (?) bother me a lot...

Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Hello Jemus,
ORIGINAL: Jemus

I think this is still an issue.

Just an example: I was playing the Tallinn-map and I was desperatly trying to hide my fighter and my bomber. Although I had conquered the whole south, the enemy always easily reached my two planes. I mean the russians had absolutely no army or City there, consequently the fog of war should be intact. However no matter where I was trying to send my two planes the AI shot them down in the next round.

Please provide a savegame with the situation. All our tests according to FoW worked fine. Did you play the single map Tallinn or was it part of one of the campaigns ?

There is another thing which bothers me: You shouldn't be able to refill your units while several enemies are standing next to you. I sent three units to a city (same map as mentioned above) which was defended by one infantry. However, I attacked this unit until it only had a strength of 1. But in the next round the AI just regrouped it and it had the whole strength again. This is quite annoying. Additionally it's not very realistic either.

The rules should limit supply in this case. With 3 adjacent enemies no strength should be recovered at all. Could you also provide a savegame with that situation ?

Regards,

Jemus

Post by Jemus »

Damn, I just started a new campaign and that's why I deleted those old savegames. If I recognize such a situation again, I'll post it here.

I definately appeared...

I know that your support is one of the best so thanks a lot.

Greetings from Germany! :-)
Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Hello Jemus,

Damn, I just started a new campaign and that's why I deleted those old savegames. If I recognize such a situation again, I'll post it here.

I definately appeared...

i see, for us it is important to have explicit data to work with. We always keep an eye on mentioned issues, but some are hard to reproduce as they might need very exotic constallations. As soon as we are on the track the issues are usually hunted down.
I know that your support is one of the best so thanks a lot.

Greetings from Germany! :-)

thanks, we try our best to improve the game. Nice to see some fellow countrymen enjoy the game.

Regards,
mllange

Post by mllange »

It is support like this from the developer (and Deal of the Week never hurts) that cause me to add my support and pocketbook. Keep up the excellent work and support Ronald, and I extend my best regards.
There's a simple answer to every complex question - and it's wrong.
-Umberto Eco
Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Hello nim8or,
ORIGINAL: nim8or

It is support like this from the developer (and Deal of the Week never hurts) that cause me to add my support and pocketbook. Keep up the excellent work and support Ronald, and I extend my best regards.

thanks a lot. Nice to see the support is apprechiated to the point it attracts new customers. [:)]

Regards,
mllange

Post by mllange »

ORIGINAL: Ronald Wendt

thanks a lot. Nice to see the support is apprechiated to the point it attracts new customers. [:)]

Regards,

The pleasure is all mine, believe me. I just finished my first two scenarios (beyond the tutorial) and this game is indeed a gem! My only regret is that I didn't pick it up much sooner if for no other reason than to support the developer. (One of the hazards of owning too many games already is that I now find myself holding off purchases until I have sufficient time to play.) This one is a keeper. I'll be watching for your future work.
There's a simple answer to every complex question - and it's wrong.
-Umberto Eco
terminator

Post by terminator »

Hello,
The AI bug always exist with the version 1.05 and is easily reproductible:

Play the scenario "Third Kharkov" with FOW:
-First turn, attack Pavlograd with the help of the JU-87B (Image(1)).
-Next turn, the AI send La-5 to attack the JU-87B (Image(2)).
-Send the Ju-87B near Dnepropetrovsk to hide him (Image(3)).
-Next turn, the La-5 find the JU-87B and destroy him ! (Image(4)).

Attachments
AIbug.jpg
AIbug.jpg (224.67 KiB) Viewed 181 times
Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Hello terminator,
ORIGINAL: terminator

Hello,
The AI bug always exist with the version 1.05 and is easily reproductible:

Play the scenario "Third Kharkov" with FOW:
-First turn, attack Pavlograd with the help of the JU-87B (Image(1)).
-Next turn, the AI send La-5 to attack the JU-87B (Image(2)).
-Send the Ju-87B near Dnepropetrovsk to hide him (Image(3)).
-Next turn, the La-5 find the JU-87B and destroy him ! (Image(4)).

actually this is a conincidence as the AI is scouting towards the objective Dnepropetrovsk. In our tests the La-5 unit found the Stukas but did not destroy them as they had used the APs for scouting moves.

If you hide the Ju-87b on the right side of the map with no significant object or unit nearby and under the same circumstances then it will be ignored/not found.

Would be nice if you could confirm this with another go.

Regards,

terminator

Post by terminator »

Hello,
I hide the Ju-87b on the right side of the map with no significant object or unit nearby and It doesn't change anything (?).

Attachments
AIbug2.jpg
AIbug2.jpg (308.3 KiB) Viewed 181 times
Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Hello terminator,

thanks for your test. We will have to check again then, maybe our tests were the lucky shots, not yours.

Regards,

Return to “Germany at War: Barbarossa 1941”