Infamous Calcutta Island

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Symon

Infamous Calcutta Island

Post by Symon »

Now I see what Andrew Brown was originally trying to do. He wanted to cross just a single hexside for sea travel from DH to Cal. Not unreasonable since they are only 25 miles apart. But game movement is across hexsides, NOT along hex boundaries, so he made a “phantom” navigable river set of hexsides between DH and Cal. For sea traffic, it’s good; for combat, it’s not good. It requires a shock river crossing assault to move up the (quite good) hiway from DH to Cal.

So make the navigable river hexsides between DH and Cal into ‘land’ and move the navigable river to the W hexside of Cal. One must also make sure one makes the E hexside of hex “!” as a navigable river also.

Now you can get into and out of Cal with no problem, BUTT :: As one traverses into hex ! there are many exits, and one could technically bypass DH if one is beating feet from Cal. This is not good either, since DH is down river from Cal, but still on the river, so one must be forced to pass thru DH going in or going out.

So one must also close off the SW edge of hex ! to prevent exit. I used the reef code block, but one can think of it as an area of swamps and mudflats, just like the area SE of DH. This forces exit from hex ! to go thru DH. Thus sea traffic will go, first, to DH and then to Cal, and from Cal to the sea thru DH, just like IRL. All it adds is one extra hex.

Hope the attached pictures are clear enough to follow along with.

Attachments
Calcutta.jpg
Calcutta.jpg (68.89 KiB) Viewed 79 times
Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.
Lokasenna

RE: Infamous Calcutta Island

Post by Lokasenna »

Nice work.
GreyJoy

Post by GreyJoy »

[&o][&o][&o][&o]
castor troy

Post by castor troy »

Hey John, thx for keeping up the good work!
btd64

Post by btd64 »

Looks Great. [8D] GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
oldman45

Post by oldman45 »

Is this going to end up on your website to download?
Symon

Post by Symon »

ORIGINAL: oldman45
Is this going to end up on your website to download?
Yes. Not just yet, but very soon. It won't be included on the Stock Map things, but it will be fully incorporated into the Extended Map standard. One more teensy little thing has come to my attention, re the Mersing Gambit (I won't say from who). But it is very interesting and shows some very acute operational acumen.

Down below is the stock map of Malaya. There's absolutely nothing to stop a landing at Mersing and letting the IJA just gallop West and cutting off Singers from Malaya. The other pic is Babes. There's Kluong at the major road intersection. It was an important base irl, HQ of the Aus 8th Div, well garrisoned , and there were substantial units right up the road in Malacca. So far so good. But there's a primary road connection between Mersing and Kluong, when it only should be a secondary. Even today, Jalang Mersing Rte 50 ain't much to speak of.

So making the Mersing/Kluong road a secondary. That will allow the Allies to win the race for feeding reinforcements into the Malacca, Kluong, Johore axis. Makes the Mersing gambit a bit more of a gamble; if the Allied player doesn't panic [8D]

Ciao. John

Attachments
Malaya.jpg
Malaya.jpg (42.28 KiB) Viewed 79 times
Yippy Ki Yay.
Don Bowen

Post by Don Bowen »

Here are the 8th Division deployments of 12/8. Notice also the airfield symbol at Kluang and also at Kahang.

Attachments
8thDeploy.jpg
8thDeploy.jpg (306.31 KiB) Viewed 80 times
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

Great work John!

Both of them ...

[&o][&o][&o]
Pax
Symon

Post by Symon »

ORIGINAL: Don Bowen
Here are the 8th Division deployments of 12/8. Notice also the airfield symbol at Kluang and also at Kahang.
Got it ! See that Batu Pahat has an airfield, too. Woof !

@PaxMondo, thanks. Coming soon to a website near you.

Ciao. John
Yippy Ki Yay.
btd64

Post by btd64 »

Thanks John. Will be waiting. GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
Don Bowen

Post by Don Bowen »

ORIGINAL: Symon
Got it ! See that Batu Pahat has an airfield, too. Woof !

@PaxMondo, thanks. Coming soon to a website near you.

Ciao. John

Ah, missed that one (at Batu Pahat). Old eyes I guess.

8th Australian Division was deployed to prevent Japanese landings on the east coast from cutting Johore Bahru off from northern Malaya.

The greatest risk was assessed to be via the road junction at Jemaluang from enemy troops landing at Mersing. A small secondary risk was assessed from enemy troops landing at Endau and/or proceeding up river toward Kahang. Similar threats existed at the river mouth at Sedili Besar but were less serious (apparently due to river conditions??).

22nd Brigade was deployed at Mersing and Jemaluang, with two companies in the Endau region (one at Endau and one guarding a boom over the river nearby).

27th Brigade was deployed in support. 2/30 Bn was the mobile force, positioned just west of Jemaluang and requiring permission of General Bennett (8th Division Commander) prior to use. The other two battalions were deployed to protect Kahang/Kluang and the Sedili Besar.

8th Division Headquarters was at Jahore Bahru, with no combat forces. There was no reserve.

The division's remaining brigade was at Darwin (less a Battalion at Rabaul). The pioneer and machine gun battalions were also at Darwin while the reconnaissance (which included light tanks) had been detached and sent to North Africa.

For AE, considering map scale, I'd put 22nd Brigade at Mersing and 27th at Kluang. Alternately one could split the 27th into battalions at station them one each at Mersing, Kluang, and Johore Bahru.

Symon

Post by Symon »

For AE, considering map scale, I'd put 22nd Brigade at Mersing and 27th at Kluang. Alternately one could split the 27th into battalions at station them one each at Mersing, Kluang, and Johore Bahru.
That sounds good. Right now, Babes has 22nd Brigade at Kluong and 27th Brigade at Johore, seems smart to move them like you suggest. Thanks, Don.

Ciao. John
Yippy Ki Yay.
Symon

Post by Symon »

And last, a teensy tweak to Papua. Put a 0:0 'dot' at Kokoda which meant redirecting the paths somewhat. Changed the paths leading nland from Port Moresby and Buna from secondary roads to 'tracks' and jiggered up the graphics to show them as dotted lines. The Kokoda hex has no paths and still uses the hard coded "trail" algorithm to get you over the Owen Stanleys. Also recoded it from Jungle/Rough to Tropical/Mtn. Hope ya'll have fun with it.

Attachments
Papua.jpg
Papua.jpg (12.31 KiB) Viewed 81 times
Yippy Ki Yay.
LargeSlowTarget

Post by LargeSlowTarget »

Great minds... [;)] Have done that as well - tank attacks over the Owen Stanleys have always bugged me.Only difference is my Kokoda has 1:0 and airfield has 99% service and 50% runway damage.
Symon

Post by Symon »

Ok, latest version of Extended Map Art and Data is up on the Babes site.

Decided the dotted line roads in Papua looked lame, so just got rid of those two spurs altogether .. just use the R key; did put mountain graphics in the Kokoda hex to match up with the Mtn-Trop coding. Full changelog is included in the zip download.
Yippy Ki Yay.
FeurerKrieg

Post by FeurerKrieg »

I must have missed some updates along the lines. My map has Subic Bay and Batu Pahat, but not the split for the Arabian Sea with the extra couple bases up there. I also don't have Buin and the relocated Shortlands.

Is it possible to switch maps in mid game? I'd expect not. Which, if not, how hard is it to just edit the PW hex file to make the changes to the Calcutta area?
Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks
oldman45

Post by oldman45 »

You should be able to change the maps out. Just sounds like you grabbed the wrong one.
oldman45

Post by oldman45 »

John, are these fixes going to be available for the standard map? I think that is Babes A.
FeurerKrieg

Post by FeurerKrieg »

ORIGINAL: oldman45

You should be able to change the maps out. Just sounds like you grabbed the wrong one.

Just wondering about things like the Shortlands base move. Are units located in the database referenced to the hex or the base? I'm not sure what happens with the units on the map when bases are moved around and stuff.
Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”