WW2 War Hero Gets Jail Sentence...

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Footslogger

WW2 War Hero Gets Jail Sentence...

Post by Footslogger »

When I first saw this article, I was shocked. Then I thought, I wonder what the forum would say about this.

So here is the article: http://news.msn.com/crime-justice/man-9 ... -for-drugs

tocaff

RE: WW2 War Hero Gets Jail Sentence...

Post by tocaff »

The law is the law and and this one isn't a "dumb" law so being a mule doesn't become OK due to past military service.
Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768
Big B

Post by Big B »

Well, he was clearly wrong, but ... depending on his prior criminal record (and I assume by the article he has none) I don't think that prison is the answer. There are fines, probation, house arrest, and many other things that would be more just (in my mind). I just can't see this for a 90 year old man if he has no priors.

I may be the only one here to think so - but I wouldn't have sentenced him to a prison term (I am assuming he's not a danger to the public...no record of violent crime).
I am also no believer in mandatory sentencing - I think each case should be taken on it's circumstances.
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

Many states have mandatory sentencing guidelines that tie judges hands regardless of the situation.

While I'm sure we all have political opinions about that, let's not air them here.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
wworld7

Post by wworld7 »

His prior service does NOT in my opinion give him a "pass" due to
the harm caused by what he carried.

The judge I hope is a good one.
Flipper
wworld7

Post by wworld7 »

Duplucate post
Flipper
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

"Sharp fought Nazis in Italy during World War II and was awarded a Bronze Star for it."

Oh yes, the "Nazis" in Italy. Was it 1. NSDAP Infanterie Division, 223. NSDAP Panzer Regiment, or 78. Volks-NSDAP Sturm-Division he was fighting against?
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

The elderly are a "semi-protected class" of people, thus to discriminate against them is very much something the justice side of the system looks for, and in this case it worked against the individual.
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

I don't see a conflict here. He didn't just do this one time, he was paid over a million dollars, he knew what he was doing, he was cognizant that what he was doing was wrong. And he got caught. QED
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: Yaab

"Sharp fought Nazis in Italy during World War II and was awarded a Bronze Star for it."

Oh yes, the "Nazis" in Italy. Was it 1. NSDAP Infanterie Division, 223. NSDAP Panzer Regiment, or 78. Volks-NSDAP Sturm-Division he was fighting against?

The article was "written" by a "journalist". Do you really think the person who wrote this has a clue as to who "The Nazi's" involved here were? Or what Nazi's in general were? NAZI=someone the journalist doesn't like. Hence you have "soup-Nazi's", "spelling-Nazi's , etc. I suspect the author doesn't know , or even care , who the veteran was fighting. [:(]
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

We are talking a "ton" of cocaine. Can you imagine the collateral damage to our society that amount of coke did? Age or past accolades do not matter to me. Unless there is a mental health issue (very possible with a 90 year old man) he goes to jail.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
dcpollay

Post by dcpollay »

ORIGINAL: Big B

Well, he was clearly wrong, but ... depending on his prior criminal record (and I assume by the article he has none) I don't think that prison is the answer. There are fines, probation, house arrest, and many other things that would be more just (in my mind). I just can't see this for a 90 year old man if he has no priors.

I may be the only one here to think so - but I wouldn't have sentenced him to a prison term (I am assuming he's not a danger to the public...no record of violent crime).
I am also no believer in mandatory sentencing - I think each case should be taken on it's circumstances.

They seem to be federal charges, not state. The Feds aren't big on probation and house arrest for felonies. And this guy wasn't just some dupe being used by the cartel, if the charges are accurate. He was deliberately in it up to his neck.
"It's all according to how your boogaloo situation stands, you understand."

Formerly known as Colonel Mustard, before I got Slitherine Syndrome.
castor troy

Post by castor troy »

ORIGINAL: Footslogger

When I first saw this article, I was shocked. Then I thought, I wonder what the forum would say about this.

that guy is 90 years old and hauls a ton of cocaine? Wow. Is that a valid tactic of the lawyer to bring up he fought in WWII? Would be just totally crazy if that would influence the outcome of the trial.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: castor troy

ORIGINAL: Footslogger

that guy is 90 years old and hauls a ton of cocaine? Wow. Is that a valid tactic of the lawyer to bring up he fought in WWII? Would be just totally crazy if that would influence the outcome of the trial.

It won't. You're just hearing all manner of possible excuses to try to glean sympathy from the jury by the defense attorney. The old guy (if found guilty) will get some sizeable jail time and likely stay in jail until he dies based upon the quantity of cocaine found.
czert2

Post by czert2 »

did i readed it right, he smugled a TON - thats 1000 kg of cocaine...anyone have idea how mch money it earned for drug cartel and how many lives it runed ? not speaking about crimes to get money for drugs by addicts.
Personaly i will shot anyone who produce, distibute or transport drugs.
Onlyest drugs which i would allow are canabis aka marihuane.
After all, we have otehr legal drugs - cigarets, booze :).
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

It sounds like he was a courier for some time before he was caught. The ton was probably many trips. I don't know if the ton was pure or cut cocaine, but in any case that is a lot of cocaine with quite a high street value.

The illegal drug trade is a massive enterprise.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
danlongman

Post by danlongman »

Prison is not much of a deterrent anyway. Is it better to send an old criminal to die in jail
or to send a young man who can learn the valuable tricks of the criminal trade? The US has one of,
if not the, highest incarceration rates in the world. Why deprive a young man of his early prison
experience to make room for some old guy who already knows how to make a millions bucks illegally?
This guy will be a burden on the system which has to turn out enormous numbers of criminals each year.
"Patriotism: Your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

Well, kinda the point. He'll be out in 18 months ... non-violent crime, his age, and prison crowding as it is ...
Pax

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”