How many of you started with......

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

aaatoysandmore

How many of you started with......

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Atari or Intellivision and what were some of you favorite games?

There was one for intellivision I really liked....a dnd game. In search of something but dang if I can remember its name. It had a lot of levels in this dungeon and you had to go into rooms to see the contents of it to see if you had found the Chest of something something.

Then of course there was PT boat which was a blast to play when I could move my wrists that fast.

And who could forget UTOPIA.....first real empire builder around.

What were yours?
RedArgo

RE: How many of you started with......

Post by RedArgo »

We had Intellivision too. Utopia, Sea Battle, Space Battle? (you flew around shooting Cylon looking ships) and sports games. That system was way beyond its time compared to the Atari 2600.
Jim D Burns

Post by Jim D Burns »

I had an Atari 800 for my first computer, two games I played to death were Kampfgruppe and War in Russia (both Grigsby games). Also had a baseball game that was fun for an hour or two at a time but can’t remember its name. Then there was the classic Seven Cities of Gold. I cut my computer gaming teeth on these and more, but these were the only ones I could remember.

Jim
Chijohnaok2

Post by Chijohnaok2 »

I also had an Atari 800 as my first computer.

My two favorite games were Eastern Front (a cartridge game I think) and a 5 1/4 in floppy disk game that was either called Carrier Force or Carrier Battle.

Eastern Front was WW 2 Germany & allies vs Soviets on the eastern front.

Carrier Battle (or Force) was a Pacific carrier game of IJN vs USA. This might have been a Grigsby game, I don't recall for certain.

Feel free to drop by and chat about whatever is on your mind.
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

Polaris and pitfall and mario bros, and centipede on atari and yes ET - that game never made any sense at all and i am glad i wasnt alone in that experience
Saint Ruth

Post by Saint Ruth »

Couldn't beat the old ZX Spectrum when I was a nipper. Arnhem and Doomdark's Revenge.
So much packed fun into 48K.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Saint Ruth

Couldn't beat the old ZX Spectrum when I was a nipper. Arnhem and Doomdark's Revenge.
warspite1

+1 except it was Desert Rats not Arnhem [:)]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
terje439

Post by terje439 »

C64 here, Wizards of Wor, Pirates!.
On the Amiga500 it was definitively Ports of Call
"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")
Raikkonen

Post by Raikkonen »

TI-99/4A here and still have it!
Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

I think I started with Arcades. Then C-64. Or maybe first C-64, then arcades.

Damn, I remember the times of going to computer market at weekends, searching for cassettes. There were a few traders that would have tens of cassettes with rips of 10-20 games each.
This way I got Commando, Blizzard! Part I: Commando Libya, Gunship, F-19 Stealth Fighter, Army Moves, Legions of Death, Laser Squad, Twin Tigers, Ikari Warriors, Strike Fleet, Up Periscope, Tomahawk, Druid II, Eagles Nest, Great Escape, Fighter Bomber, Last Ninja, Desert Fox, Green Berets, Hostages and similar games. Often they had only one level.
I think it was in 1991 because I had an issue magazine called Computer Studio published in that year. I've read instructions for Gunship, F-19 Stealth Figher, Jump Jet, Tomahawk in it. Many gaming magazines here started as a source of instructions for pirated games, because up to 1993 there weren't IP laws.
The only originals available for C64 were horrible games from Zeppelin Games and similar. There was literally a single original flight simulation for C64 available called Spitfire '40 which got 0/5 in CGW. Oh there was also a strategy game called Bismarck which had "simulation" torpedo dropping sequences. It got 1,5/5 in CGW.
Then there was the horror called Gunboat. By the way for some reason some shooters like Operation Hormuz and Gunboat were marketed as sims D: .

There were a few good originals like Midnight Resistance or The Spy Who Loved Me.

I remember there was a computer store near with cartridges and game instructions. I remember buying an instruction for Super Huey and getting very excited about it but discovering that the cassette with it was badly recorded.

I think I had C64 from 1990 to 1996. I remember that I had a single issue of Top Secret magazine from 1995 and that I was fascinated by a review of Hero Quest for c64 but I couldn't find it in any store.

After I got my own PC and internet around 2008, I managed to buy original Gunship, Laser Squad, Project Stealth Fighter, Hero Quest and Space Crusade.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Wow you didn't get your own PC until 2008? How old are you? I bought my first owned PC in 1982 when my son was born because both insurance companys paid; one as an illness and the other as a pregnancy. I basically got paid to produce a son. lol So, I bought a VIC 20. Man if I had that thing today and cassette recorder for it I'd be rich I think. I kept all my commodore 64's though and hard drives (a few still work to this day) and of course all the games I got along the way.
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

My cousins had an Atari. We couldn't afford one. My cousins had it so long they were bored with it, but all I wanted to do was play breakout. My first system was nintendo. Nobunaga's ambition was played over and over and over.
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
decaro

Post by decaro »

Nintendo and Koei's "We supply the past, you make the future" games.
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
wodin

Post by wodin »

I had an intellivison:) Then the BBC B 32 k (well it was my dads). First game machine I saved for and bought was an Amstrad CPC464 with green screen monitor.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Amazing what the past will show and how far we've come. Hey, we were the pioneers of something....a legacy to always be proud of and remember. Kids of tomorrow will never experience what we did...Oh they'll have their holodecks and tvphones lol (don't they have those already?) but we were the computer age. The wagon train of machines. [:'(] The first of the beginning of a new age of entertainment from tv and radio.

Our epitath:

Oh God please let him in

He was a man without sin

He was too busy playing

with computer animated men

he came to you as a lil child

he played and played and played for awhile.[:D]
cantona2

Post by cantona2 »

Commodore 64 with Kung Fu Master, all the Microprose classics (Gunship/Pirates/Airborne Ranger/Silent Service), The Bards Tale
1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

wodin

Post by wodin »

Love it..think this will be on my grave stone.
ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

Our epitath:

Oh God please let him in

He was a man without sin

He was too busy playing

with computer animated men

he came to you as a lil child

he played and played and played for awhile.[:D]
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

ORIGINAL: Saint Ruth

warspite1

+1 except it was Desert Rats not Arnhem [:)]
warspite1

Does this bring back any memories? [:)]

Attachments
T2eC16dHJ..Q60_35.jpg
T2eC16dHJ..Q60_35.jpg (16.69 KiB) Viewed 193 times

aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Oh man I remember that game now. Didn't it have chits in it as well as a cassette?
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

Oh man I remember that game now. Didn't it have chits in it as well as a cassette?
warspite1

Chits?

Return to “General Discussion”