Misc. NOOB queries Re: A/C

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

chazz

Misc. NOOB queries Re: A/C

Post by chazz »

I tried the search function, no joy there.

I'm going through my air groups in North America and I see 5 of them in Boise (I think) of BoLos that read: Remove by (such and such a date). Does this mean that these air groups are to be disbanded? What does this mean? I assume I can just disband these units and send the pilots elsewhere.
=================================
Thank you for your replies and advice!!

"If you're in a fair fight, then you didn't plan it properly" - Nick Lappos
LargeSlowTarget

RE: Misc. NOOB queries Re: A/C

Post by LargeSlowTarget »

Some air groups are removed from the map at set dates for service outside the map (Europe, Africa etc.). You should disband them at the set date or you will suffer PP penalties (i.e. losing PPs).

Until then, use them to train pilots. You will lose the airframes but you can send all pilots to general reserve before withdrawing / disbanding.
Itdepends

Post by Itdepends »

You can disband them before the due date for a political points bonus as well.
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

Some air units are permanently removed and others are dissolved with the planes and pilots going into the pools. You will be warned when removing a unit. When you are offered PP for removing a unit you are asked if you want to get the points. This can only happen with units that dissolve into the pools and I believe you loose the planes if you take the PP. I think you lose the pilots too.

For searching the forum, I've found using Google tends to work better. Put in site:www.matrixgames.com in the search string and you will search the forum. You can also put in some terms like "Admiral's Edition" to make sure you are only searching this forum.

Mandatory aircraft withdraw is a bit confusing. There are different types of withdraw and they behave differently.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
chazz

Post by chazz »

Thank you. That's crystal clear. Except for whether I'm penalized PP or rewarded. But I'll just disband a few and see what happens.

I already figured on using them for training squadrons but it seems doubtful that one plain could train a significant # of pilots.

Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

Don't withdraw/disband on time and you're PP penalized every turn until you do.

For some units you get a PP bonus if you withdraw early. The game will inform you and give you a Y/N box.

For most PPs aren't a factor.

The Moose
chazz

Post by chazz »

well I seem to like transferring a/c between commands (and sometimes land units) so I am a little greedy with pp's.

RogerJNeilson

Post by RogerJNeilson »

Only transfer units between commands if you absolutely have to - normally to be able to move them somewhere they have to be and their current command won't let them. otherwise you are just chucking PPs away as there is little if any advantage to having them in the 'right' command groups.... especially at the start as the Allies.

Roger
An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: chazz

I already figured on using them for training squadrons but it seems doubtful that one plain could train a significant # of pilots.

They will. It's 12 Apr 42 and this unit has 1 a/c and a less than mediocre leader. These pilots are second time around, swopped them 8 days ago when the old pilot where avg 55 for GroB and Defn with Exp avg 40.

Attachments
Capture.jpg
Capture.jpg (96.21 KiB) Viewed 318 times
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

related question:

does the AI withdraw units?
chazz

Post by chazz »

ok, another air unit related question:

How in the heck does it work for shipping air units via merchant ships? I have two units of roughly the same size in a port, and one will load while the other will not.

Pretty infuriating to say the least.

Amoral

Post by Amoral »

Some units are Restricted. They have an [R] after the HQ name. This is to simulate the political reality that even the top commander in the armed forces could not get away with stripping some areas of all the defenses.

Restricted units cannot re-base to another land mass, nor can they board a ship. That applies to both Land Combat Units and Air Planes.

There are two types of Restricted units. Some can be "bought out" with political points, and made unrestricted. If you click on the HQ name on the unit card you can choose a new command to assign the unit to. if you choose an unrestricted command you will now be able to send the unit anywhere. Others are permanently restricted and can never be bought out.

Generally you won't spend you PPs buying air units though. The main problem is having enough airframes. You probably have enough unrestricted groups to make use of all the airframes you will produce. Save your PP for ground units and for replacing leaders.

chazz

Post by chazz »

so what's the point of having scads of fighter planes that I can't load up and send to the war zone?

do I just disband them all? As it appears I will have hundreds of Marine and USAAF a/c sitting on the west coast doing doodley-squat.

OK, it's beginning to make some sense- if I buy out the HQ unit does it follow that all the units under it's command can be deployed? Or do I have to wait for the 4th USAAF HQ unit to turn up and I deploy the whole formation?

Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

Training. Use them for training.

The game isn't all about Boom! Smash! Destroy!
The Moose
richlove

Post by richlove »

Yes, they're perfect training squadrons. To paraphrase the Bull, you get to Boom Smash Destroy after you Train, Stockpile, and Plan.

And then it's super gratifying.
chazz

Post by chazz »

Ah, I see...one of those delay of gratification things.

Thanks, fellas.

At what point to do dump the pilots back into the reserve pool?

rook749

Post by rook749 »

ORIGINAL: chazz

Ah, I see...one of those delay of gratification things.

Thanks, fellas.

At what point to do dump the pilots back into the reserve pool?

Right before you disband/withdraw the groups. I usually pick a day during the month and on that day I do all of my pilot maintenance. I also check for all ship and air unit withdraws for the next 45 days and make sure to note what I need to withdraw when and if I need to start moving a ship to the correct location to withdraw.
richlove

Post by richlove »

Yeah. I quickly realized that I needed some sort of to-do tracker / spreadsheet thing to keep track of everything going on. You'll definitely want to periodically review morale, training, withdrawals, minefields, TOE upgrades, and upgrade and replacement settings.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”