A map "underlay" for the map editor?

The development team behind the award-winning games Decisive Campaigns: From Warsaw To Paris and Advanced Tactics is back with a new and improved game engine that focuses on the decisive year and theater of World War II! Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue simulates the German drive to Stalingrad and into the Caucasus of the summer of 1942, as well as its May preludes (2nd Kharkov offensive, Operation Trappenjagd) and also the Soviet winter counter-offensive (Operation Uranus) that ended with the encirclement of 6th Army in Stalingrad and the destruction of the axis minor armies. With many improvements including the PBEM++ system, this is a release to watch for wargamers!

Moderator: Vic

Xenomorph

A map "underlay" for the map editor?

Post by Xenomorph »

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the map editor for DCCB allowed you to import a .jpg or .bmp that you could "trace" over in order to create a new map. Other products have this capability and I was wondering if I'm remembering that correctly. And if so how to do so. Thanks!
aspqrz02

RE: A map "underlay" for the map editor?

Post by aspqrz02 »

I Am Not The Designer, but I don't think so ... I know that when I was trying, somewhat successfully, to lay out a larger map I would have *LOVED* such a feature, but I certainly wasn't aware of it then ... I assumed that the feature didn't exist because of the way the editor worked, but maybe I was doing a Jack Lemmon [:D]

I have used that sort of feature in Campaign Cartographer all the time, and found it *very* useful there (see the .sig) ... and *would* have used it in Case Blue if a) it had been available or b) I had known it was available.

Phil
Author, Space Opera (FGU); RBB #1 (FASA); Road to Armageddon; Farm, Forge and Steam; Orbis Mundi; Displaced (PGD)
----------------------------------------------
Email: aspqrz@tpg.com.au
Vic

Post by Vic »

ORIGINAL: Xenomorph

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the map editor for DCCB allowed you to import a .jpg or .bmp that you could "trace" over in order to create a new map. Other products have this capability and I was wondering if I'm remembering that correctly. And if so how to do so. Thanks!

In fact this is possible. Though its a bit hidden.

You should find the option in: editor -> settings -> Improved Load Overlay

It will open a prompt allowing you to pick a graphic file from within the graphics/ directory.

You will have to click the option again and select cancel to remove the layer.

It will even be saved with your scenario if you leave it on. When using a layer it is displayed half alpha on top of the map in the Editor and full opaque below the map in play. (the last thing opens in theory the possibility to use transparent landscape types to actually use a pre-drawn map but has never been implemented in a mod or one of my games - probably partly for being just a bit more slow)

Best,
Vic

Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
aspqrz02

Post by aspqrz02 »

Well, *that's* handy to know ... if and when I get back to CB, I may see if I can fiddle with it successfully!

Phil
Author, Space Opera (FGU); RBB #1 (FASA); Road to Armageddon; Farm, Forge and Steam; Orbis Mundi; Displaced (PGD)
----------------------------------------------
Email: aspqrz@tpg.com.au

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue”