Bad Weather Luck?

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Auchinleck

Bad Weather Luck?

Post by Auchinleck »

It's the May/June 1941 turn, in my Solitaire Global War, My Germans are commencing Operation Barbarossa, and it's snowing on the Eastern Front. That should slow down my initial advance, even without Soviet resistance! Have many of my fellow fans of MWIF ran into that as well?
warspite1

RE: Bad Weather Luck?

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Auchinleck

It's the May/June 1941 turn, in my Solitaire Global War, My Germans are commencing Operation Barbarossa, and it's snowing on the Eastern Front. That should slow down my initial advance, even without Soviet resistance! Have many of my fellow fans of MWIF ran into that as well?
warspite1

That's global warming for you [;)]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

I have not had that happen to me, but it is indeed possible bad luck.
Paul
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

warspite1

Just out of curiosity, why did you say possible bad luck? The chances of anything but Fine in the Northern Temperate (and to only a slightly lesser degree, the Arctic) in May / June are indeed slim. So why possible - have I missed something?
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
alexvand

Post by alexvand »

I've run into the same thing, but also for the Russians. It's May/June and it's raining right now in my current game and the Russians are getting no where on their counter-offensive.

It's just part of the game.
Extraneous

Post by Extraneous »

Here is the Weater for all zones with your die roll.

Weather May/June
Zone - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12+

ARCTIC - Snow (2), Storm (2), Rain (1), Fine (1), Fine (1), Fine (1), Fine (1), Fine (1), Fine (1), Fine (1), Fine (1), Fine (1)

N. TEMPERATE - Storm (2), Rain (2), Fine (1), Fine (1), Fine (1), Fine (1), Fine (1), Fine (1), Fine (1), Fine (1), Fine (1), Fine (1)

MEDITERRANEAN - Rain (2), Fine (2), Fine (1), Fine (1), Fine (1), Fine (1), Fine (1), Fine (1), Fine (1), Fine (1), Fine (1), Fine (1)

N. MONSOON - Storm (2), Storm (2), Storm (1), Rain (1), Rain (1), Rain (1), Fine (1), Fine (1), Fine (1), Fine (1), Fine, Fine (1)

S. MONSOON - Storm (2), Rain (2), Rain (1), Fine (1), Fine (1), Fine (1), Fine (1), Fine (1), Fine (1), Fine (1), Fine (1), Fine (1)

S. TEMPERATE - Storm (2), Rain (2), Fine (1), Fine (1), Fine (1), Fine (1), Fine (1), Fine (1), Fine (1), Fine (1), Fine (1), Fine (1)

Weather (Impulse marker advances # of boxes after each side's impulse)
Snow (2) = The weather is Snow and the Impulse marker advances 2 boxes after each side's impulse

University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

warspite1

Just out of curiosity, why did you say possible bad luck? The chances of anything but Fine in the Northern Temperate (and to only a slightly lesser degree, the Arctic) in May / June are indeed slim. So why possible - have I missed something?
I just meant it's not impossible for it to happen and if it does, it's bad luck.

Anything that's bad, with a lower probability than 50% of occurring - is bad luck if it occurs.
Paul
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

I had one game as the Germans when there were six Axis clear impulses in the Arctic in 1941. Not six in one turn; six in the whole year. Barbarossa did not go well. There was another game where I was the Russians, and the Germans had basically clear weather from M/A through S/O, with N/D alternating snow and clear. I resigned that game, also.
I thought I knew how to play this game....
Ur_Vile_WEdge

Post by Ur_Vile_WEdge »

I'd actually rather have snow on the initial push impulse than rain. At least I can move at full speed in snow.

But if the Soviets have a heavy buildup along the border, it might be better to just wait an impulse.

But yeah, USE and weather are two hugely random elements that you can't do much about.
"When beset by danger,
When in deadly doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout."

Return to “World in Flames”