Fog of war for non-wire torpedos

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

kneecaps

Fog of war for non-wire torpedos

Post by kneecaps »

I noticed that even when you don't have sonar coverage of an area torpedos (launched from a helo for example) still display their exact position. This seems to allow for a 'cheat' as you can easily see if they have acquired a target or are still in search mode.

I'd like to see this 'god mode' for torpedoes removed. Obviously if you can detect them with sonar or they are wire guided then they should be displayed as appropriate.

mikmykWS

RE: Fog of war for non-wire torpedos

Post by mikmykWS »

Added this to our list.

Thanks!

Mike
Chicharito19

Post by Chicharito19 »

Funny enough I had the same thought about my submarines in the "Tee Up" mission. I then resolved myself to realizing...well, you're not playing just one ship or boat.
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Might pan out to be realism vs. fun argument thing too. It might be fun for most players to watch their torps hit [:)]
kneecaps

Post by kneecaps »

ORIGINAL: mikmyk

Might pan out to be realism vs. fun argument thing too. It might be fun for most players to watch their torps hit [:)]

If possible I'd like a toggle on this :) I agree, but the problem for seeing them in realtime is that you can immediately tell if they have lost the target..you then launch another...

In reality if you don't hear a BOOM when you expect to you then launch another.

Not a biggie really but it could help increase the realism of undersea kills.
kneecaps

Post by kneecaps »

I'd still really like a toggle for this behavior...you're going to pickup your own fish from sonobouys anyway...usually :D
tramker2

Post by tramker2 »

The same should apply to missiles without datalink. I think in Harpoon it was like that too.
Martin
kneecaps

Post by kneecaps »

ORIGINAL: tramker2

The same should apply to missiles without datalink. I think in Harpoon it was like that too.

Yes a toggle would be good, for missile without a datalink the missile may be tracked by other radards (or possibly even the launching platforms own radar) so you may still see it.

I know that seeing my torps and missiles does change what I do...you kind of know if you need to launch more or not fairly soon.
AlanChan

Post by AlanChan »

I think put the non-wire torpedo in a independent C2 net would better sovle the problem. The player could switch between each C2 net during mission. I know such change requires a lot coding, but it is the thing that differ between milsim and broad games. Different C2 allows efficient co-op between different players and pervent oversharing SA during CO-OP.

For example, BLUEFOR have a Heli from DDG that attacks an enemy SSK, and BLUEFOR SSN is also prescent. If player switch to DDG/Heli C2, he will see the heli, the DDG, friendly torpedo from DDG's sonar and enemy SSK from DDG's sonar. If they switch to SSN's C2, they will see a neutral/friendly DDG, a neutral torpedo and a goblin. If you switch to torpedo C2, you can only see the goblin if it is in your sonar area. By doing this, the responsibilty of players commanding SSN and DDG/Heli can be seperated.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”