Sov command capacity

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

charlie0311

Sov command capacity

Post by charlie0311 »

hi all,

v. 1.07.11

I'm playing sov, turn 13, several of my fronts are showing CC greater than the value of the assigned units. Several are just right. Ex, Bryansk front is at 74 but only only 66 worth of units assigned.

Any suggestions/explanations?

thx

Charlie
loki100

RE: Sov command capacity

Post by loki100 »

well the explanation is you have too many units attached. Remember all the units attached to your armies plus airbases all count to the level.

Until the expansion of Soviet Front CP in 1942 (check out the manual for this), you'll just have to live with some degree of front overload. Try to make sure there are no more than 5 combat armies per front, use your MDs (Volga and Moscow are most useful) to gather and organise your reserves.

Remember that late in 41 you get the Volkhov Front (so a fresh set of CPs), N Cauc converts from MD to Front (so that helps) as does Trans Cauc (ok this is already using quite a lot of its CP), in combination that gives you roughly another 8 armies worth of front command.

This is all the reason why its pretty standard to get Zhukov into Stavka. You need that backstop for failed initiative rolls etc. But don't let Stavka get cluttered with all your returning shells. Parcel them out to the two Ural MDs (I use Ural north of Moscow, S Ural south of Moscow) or Volga MD.
charlie0311

Post by charlie0311 »

that's not it

something to do with transferring airbases from western front to byransk front

charlie
Walloc

Post by Walloc »

Each AB counts for 1 CC, beyond what ever units u have assigned. So Bryansk Front in OP has in all likelyhood 8 AB attached either directly or through other HQ attached to Bryansk front.
charlie0311

Post by charlie0311 »

very interesting, did't know airbases counted v. command capacity, now my whole OOb plan needs revision.

Maybe I'll put the whole red air force under stravka!
jwolf

Post by jwolf »

Problem with that is that the Red Air Force under Stavka command wouldn't respond as needed to battles under the command of a Front, or at least not nearly as often as you would want them to.  Realistically as far as I know you have to count on a few points of command capacity for each front going to airbases.
charlie0311

Post by charlie0311 »

another excellent point. My OOB plan for the coming winter offensive is 72 CPs/front in 4 armies of 9 inf divs each ( 4x18=72). 16 cav corps and 8 mtn inf divs in 4 shock armies under Stravka/zuckov, 20 cps each.

In 42 when the front cp expands to 81, then i'll bring the airbases back. The idea is to maximize combat power on the ground and I don't think the red air force has been contributing that much.

I do have one specific question. Forming a cav corps is 5 aps each, so my 16 cav corps will cost 80aps, is this correct?

charlie
Gabriel B.

Post by Gabriel B. »

You simply do not have enough divisions to bring every army up to 9 divisions , up to 15 jan 1941, you receive 48 combined arms armies .

48* 9 = 432 divisions .

Plus you have to keep some divisions in reserve to recover morale and retrain.

My advice is to go for 7 infantry divisions armies , you only need 336 to fill those , and alows a more eficient distribution of suport squads .

charlie0311

Post by charlie0311 »

just wanted to go 9 inf div per army but only enough armies so I don't overload the front.

thx for response,

charlie
Don77

Post by Don77 »

Charlie,

A subtlety is you can allocate 7 or 8 rifle divisions and use the spare capacity for 2 to 4 rifle brigades. This assumes you'll only fill your armies to 18CP - which is the final Army command limit. This gives you one army coverage of 3 hexes wide by 2-3 hexes deep per army, depending on your preferences. The added advantage is that by the time you can build corps, you can use the mix of divs, bdes and guards units to build rifle corps within the armies themselves.

Don
caliJP

Post by caliJP »

I tend to agree with Don77, I am very stingy with my APs, so right from 1941 I build my armies for 18APs and what I want to do with them when Rifle Corps appear. I have 2 types of Rifle armies:
one type with 6 div and 3 bdes, which will eventually receive 3 cavalry divisions. Those eventually become 3 Rifle Corps and 1 Cavalry Corps.
One type with 7 div and 4 bdes, which eventually become 4 Rifle Corps with the addition of a div upon Corps formation.
That way I spend minimal APs shifting units around when I start building Rifle Corps.

JP
charlie0311

Post by charlie0311 »

Hi guys,

Have been out of business for awhile since old computer blew up. Good to go now.

I have a pretty clear idea of how the command structure will evolve.

I would like to know how many tank and cav corps the industrial base will support. In my present game I have managed to evac all of my factories except for a few HI.

Speaking of factories. How much population per city/town/urban is needed for each factory or factory type?

charlie
Schmart

Post by Schmart »

ORIGINAL: charlie0311
I would like to know how many tank and cav corps the industrial base will support. In my present game I have managed to evac all of my factories except for a few HI.

Historically, the Russians maintained 7 Cav Corps, 24 Tank Corps, and 13 Mech Corps to the end of the war. An additional 8 Cav Corps were destroyed or disbanded, and 7 Tank Corps were destroyed or converted to Mech Corps.

Return to “The War Room”