For Liberty is real Gem

Hussar Games "For Liberty!" is a turn based game of the American Revolution and the Rakoczi Independence War. Command the armies of the newly born United States of America against Britain or the ill-equipped Hungarian rebels against mighty Austria. 1848 is a turn base game on the Hungarian rebellion against Austria in 1848-49.

Moderator: HussarGames

Jakerson

For Liberty is real Gem

Post by Jakerson »

This Game is such a gem. It has fairly good AI that shift from attack and defense and seem to know when to defend or attack. Send out recon units and harassment units behind the line. In this game you really can’t ignore defending supply lines.

I also love game design of For Liberty it gives player very large freedom to choose how he fight. I don’t know other game that simulates civil war type of war better than this game. You can pick what troops to build, how many troops you make (in limitation of resources). You choose how you fight, you can turtle and defend, you can make hit and run attacks with small units, you can divide forces as you like or fight with very big armies. If you stack up your forces in big armies soon you see enemy smaller detachments capturing town behind the lines. If you divide forces to cover more ground it might make you lose big battles. You have to constantly balance covering ground and having forces to deal with bigger battles.

I just love the game mechanic where zeal, morale and will to fight are most important. Casualties don’t matter that much if you can say that you can force enemy to retreat. In For Liberty war is not won by who kills or loses most but who can force other side to lose will to fight.

This game is GEM even when it has some shortcomings like outdated game engine that needs tweaking to get it work in more modern operating systems.
Agathosdaimon

RE: For Liberty is real Gem

Post by Agathosdaimon »

I agree, the same plies for Napoleon in Italy - the games are rich offerings despite some compatibility setting problems on current windows OS's

Return to “For Liberty! & 1848”