Larger view mode for 2D

John Tiller's Campaign Series exemplifies tactical war-gaming at its finest by bringing you the entire collection of TalonSoft's award-winning campaign series. Containing TalonSoft's West Front, East Front, and Rising Sun platoon-level combat series, as well as all of the official add-ons and expansion packs, the Matrix Edition allows players to dictate the events of World War II from the tumultuous beginning to its climatic conclusion. We are working together with original programmer John Tiller to bring you this updated edition.

Moderators: Jason Petho, Peter Fisla, asiaticus, dogovich

Objekt730

Larger view mode for 2D

Post by Objekt730 »

Just curious if it'd be possible in a future update to offer a larger version of the 'large' 2D map (button #4). I'd like to be able to use this view regularly, but it's always too small to be of any real use. It seems like it wouldn't be too difficult to add a 200% view of the large 2D map mode just by upscaling the map using 'nearest neighbor' interpolation. That way it maintains the pixel-perfect sharpness, and is totally usable on large resolution monitors.

I think adding this map mode might vastly improve the ability to plan troop movements. Just a thought. [:D]
wings7

RE: Larger view mode for 2D

Post by wings7 »

[8D]
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
berto

Post by berto »

This is high on the wish list but won't be offered until the CS 2.10 Update (maybe late next year) and new games in the series (e.g. Middle East, hopefully by the end of the current year).
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
Objekt730

Post by Objekt730 »

Ah, ok. It seems like I must have opened up a well-tread topic... That's what I get for not doing my homework :/

In any event, has anyone tried manually upscaling the map tiles, just to see what happens? I'd try it, but I can't seem to find them.

Objekt730

Post by Objekt730 »

.....nevermind. That doesn't work.
berto

Post by berto »

Another thing to try, especially if you have dual monitors like I do: lower your screen resolution. A larger 2D view on the cheap!
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

Which with the icons2D upgrade, in WF, you might just wanna do!! EF is in process now, lots of work though!!
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
Objekt730

Post by Objekt730 »

why didn't I think of that....great idea!
major.pain

Post by major.pain »

^^
Hope that was a typo and we get a patch later this year not later next year so at the very least the 2D maps are useable?

Picked this up at V2.0 and so far any scenario above small is a complete ball ache to keep track of with the 2D view being completely unusable on today's panels ect :(

**Shelved along with CC:TLA until its fixed**

Sigh!!
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

Here is a screenshot of level 4 (2D) and a scenario that is included at 2.00 and is a mid level complexity:

This screen resolution is 1920 x 1080 on a 24" display.

I am curious how this is unusable?

Jason Petho

major.pain

Post by major.pain »

The level 5 2D is about 1/8 the size of this on my panel so is of no practical use, the above level 4 2D view icons are too small to easily distinguish between, even more so when you need to be able to use the highlights for disruption, organization ect.
The above image is a good size for level 5 2D not level 4 2D.
I understand the game is old and patches are slow in coming, if at all for old games but for me its too much of a chore to play until the 2D is resized better.
Maybe a launch parameter of sorts could be added to boot the game in a lower screen resolution, its not practical for me to change my desktop resolution to play as my desktop gets disorganized :{
Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

To be clear, Tiller last games have an extra zoom level that is simple a resize BUT his las game PzB Kursk has a true ultra 2D zoom level and i only can say is [&o] you have a good easy vision with no danger for my poor eyes hehehe... i dont expect this because we talk about an old game but a magnifying effect where you can see bigger counters and notice organization colours is more than enough for me.

Example of PzB:

Total zoom in

Normal 2D view

The magnifying effect in old Tiller games:

Normal 2D view

Total zoom in

As you can see both do the same work but magnifying effect is a more... rough solution but is on the same way you can do here.

PD: well, lets see how work it in modern volumen, i am curious about the Divided ground remake.
Jafele

Post by Jafele »

IMO the weakest points in many of JT games are the poor 3D graphics (I never use it) and the lack of clarity in 2D map heights. Fortunately it´s changing in his latest releases. It would be so nice if he could improve the maps of older games [:)] because I love all of them [&o]

Changing maps=More customers
Las batallas contra las mujeres son las únicas que se ganan huyendo.

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE

Cuando el necio oye la verdad se carcajea, porque si no lo hiciera la verdad no sería la verdad.

LAO TSE
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

The modifications to the graphics for the Campaign Series will be up to the Campaign Series Legion and Beta Brigade, as Mr. Tiller abandoned the game many years ago.

While I agree the level 5, 2D graphic level is pretty well useless, it is already earmarked for being upgraded. The 3D graphics though, especialy for level 1 3D are far from poor. Each unit in the following screenshots are easily identifiable at a glance. Are they the most beautiful? Maybe not, but far from functional, they still have that table top look.

Jason Petho

major.pain

Post by major.pain »

Is it possible to have an option for the game to boot in a lower resolution?

I would be happy with this outcome as 1920x1080 is not good, a config file or shortcut switch maybe?
Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

Sorry, i name wrong the France14 zoom examples, now i correct it.

3D... i dont play in 3D, i prefer 2D because for me is more clear, of course 3D is more but i feel better in 2D... talking about 2D, something i really miss in Campaigns is the lack of something in counter to notice what is the unit facing... other games have a triangle or some similar in the counter to show you what is the actual unit facing, any plan to add this in 2D???.

PD: even when 3D is good i really prefer see bigger units, maybe an option to increase units size in 3D 50% is not a bad idea, i dont have problems with have in an hex "titans", even more, i remember play CM old games using big unit image [:D]
Josh

Post by Josh »

ORIGINAL: Jason Petho

The modifications to the graphics for the Campaign Series will be up to the Campaign Series Legion and Beta Brigade, as Mr. Tiller abandoned the game many years ago.

While I agree the level 5, 2D graphic level is pretty well useless, it is already earmarked for being upgraded. The 3D graphics though, especialy for level 1 3D are far from poor. Each unit in the following screenshots are easily identifiable at a glance. Are they the most beautiful? Maybe not, but far from functional, they still have that table top look.

Jason Petho

Looks great to me Jason.

Still I have this uneasy feeling that it will draw upon the same old school players that played this game fifteen years ago and still play it. I'm completely fine with the graphics of this game. But nowadays 3D real time games have already much much better graphics, and by this I mean the new Close Combat games, or heck even Battlefront's Combat Mission games...they look absolutely stunning in 3D realtime.

I would love to see happen to JTCS as what happened with Panzer Corps, an old strategic wargame hit revamped/restyled but basically the same, and becoming a new saleshit with new gamers who discover for the first time the joys of turnbased games. Now JTCS was IMHO never as popular as Panzer General ...but I'd love to see this old beauty draw a new and younger crowd.

Meanwhile, I'm extremely grateful for all the work you guys poor into this classic and the upcoming Modern Wars. [&o]
Jafele

Post by Jafele »

Another good example of 2D maps with a 3D feeling: tm.asp?m=3559855 [X(]
Las batallas contra las mujeres son las únicas que se ganan huyendo.

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE

Cuando el necio oye la verdad se carcajea, porque si no lo hiciera la verdad no sería la verdad.

LAO TSE
Objekt730

Post by Objekt730 »

Just to be clear, (since this thread has veered slightly off topic) I don't have any problem whatsoever with the 3D graphics. I just find the level 4, 2D map unusable (speaking only for myself) which is unfortunate since it would be a great alternative perspective to work with. It seems realistic to be able to double the size of that view at some point without requiring an unreasonable amount of effort. Of course I could be completely off base considering I know nothing about the game engine.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that it's on the list of future upgrades, I just hope it gets in the game before late 2015!
scottintacoma

Post by scottintacoma »

I think the 2D zoom is just fine. If you doubled it, it would be unusable for me. Way to large. I dont use any of the 3D views, normally just 2D zoomed. On a large map, I might go to standard 2d so I can get a lay of the land.

Return to “John Tiller's Campaign Series”