German HQ Placement and the Supply Chain.

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

Champagne

German HQ Placement and the Supply Chain.

Post by Champagne »

I've been reading the manual and went through the Boot Camp. Great stuff.

I'd like guidance to help me fine tune my HQ placement relative to the railhead.

Most critical is to keep the Corps HQ within range of the divisions.

Question 1) If a division is "blue boxed" and in range of the Corps HQ, is Support Unit commitment or Supply affected by whether the division is one, two, three, four or five hexes from the Corps HQ?

I'm trying to figure out the best placement of the Army HQ relative to the Corps HQ.

Q 2) Is it best to place the Army HQ on a Railhead, then place the Corps HQ to the maximum range of the Army HQ? Or is it better to "split the difference" by moving the Army HQ some hexes away from the Railhead so that the range from Army to Corps is less? OR does it make any difference at all, since all supply traced beyond the Railhead is done by Truck and uses the Motor Pool trucks?

Thanks for any guidance you can offer.
Only the dead have seen the end of War.

-- Plato
gingerbread

RE: German HQ Placement and the Supply Chain.

Post by gingerbread »

1) No, but a 20 MP limit is also in force.

2) Corps HQ get supply directly from source, so Army-Corps distance does not matter for the purpose of supply.
Champagne

Post by Champagne »

ORIGINAL: gingerbread

Corps HQ get supply directly from source, so Army-Corps distance does not matter for the purpose of supply.

Thanks.

-- Plato
Champagne

Post by Champagne »

0.2 Supply States

When I read this section of the Manual, I get the impression that ALL units, even combat divisions and brigades, trace supply directly to a Railhead. I get the impression that the Corps HQ cannot serve to extend the supply chain by using its five-hex Command Range. The Corps HQ five hex command range has nothing to do with supply. Is this correct?

-- Plato
Gabriel B.

Post by Gabriel B. »

ORIGINAL: Champagne

0.2 Supply States

When I read this section of the Manual, I get the impression that ALL units, even combat divisions and brigades, trace supply directly to a Railhead. I get the impression that the Corps HQ cannot serve to extend the supply chain by using its five-hex Command Range. The Corps HQ five hex command range has nothing to do with supply. Is this correct?

NO, you are wrong .

there are 2 supply phases :

first corps HQ deliver supply to combat divisions.
second combat divisions try to supply themselves .

charlie0311

Post by charlie0311 »

Hi all,

"amateurs study tactics, professionals study logistics"

I submit it would be a good idea if Pavel wrote up the supply/logistics elements or wite in the same style as the bootcamp tutorials.

However he's probably way to busy with witw. After 5 months of study I still hesitate to try to explain the supply system. As a practical matter it is a good idea to keep your combat units "in the blue".

Despite my confusion and frustration with the manuals/posts regarding supply issues I find I am able to play the game as a very enjoyable experience, in fact, i love this game.

charlie
Champagne

Post by Champagne »

My latest reading indicates to me that the key is to keep an eye on the Unit Supply Detail screen for your HQs that provide supplies to the ground combat units. That's the Corps HQ for the Germans and the Army HQs for the Soviets.

Hex to Rail
MP to Rail

Cost of path (MP)
Cost of path (Range)

. . . these four data entries are important, because the HQ providing supplies to the ground combat units needs to be within 25 hexes or 100 movement points of a Railhead (unless the combat units themselves are close enough to trace supply to the Railheads).

Am I thinking like a grognard now?

-- Plato

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”