Naked Maps

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: MOD_Flashpoint

Mad Russian

Naked Maps

Post by Mad Russian »

Would there be anyone out there interested in naked maps? No hexes or grid?

Good Hunting.

MR

Attachments
CA1RedStormJ.jpg
CA1RedStormJ.jpg (391.23 KiB) Viewed 117 times
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
wodin

RE: Naked Maps

Post by wodin »

Yes..some games I have the grid turned off..others I don't. Depends on the map art work I suppose. However an option to turn on and off the grid is always cool.
SwampYankee68

Post by SwampYankee68 »

Personally, in this game I would leave the hexes on anyways..
"The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me!"
WildCatNL

Post by WildCatNL »

Depends on the art style, and what people use the grid for.

For Western Europe theater Hexdraw maps, the art clearly indicate the size of a hex, and a grid isn't necessary to indicate the scale / zoom level. For a featureless desert map (think NTC FtIrwin) or maps covered by large forests (Vietnam), a grid would be welcome.

For estimating distance, which is what I use the grid for, the hex grid never worked for me. The FP:G 1km grid works better for that purposes.

Moving the grid from the art-work to the game UI would help a lot to cover all cases and needs.

William

p.s. the example map is missing the "BUCHOLZ" label for the largest city on the map, right of center (SE of Steinbeck).
William
On Target Simulations LLC
O.Schmidt

Post by O.Schmidt »

I need hexes!
Ahoi Seemann
O.Schmidt
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

i also like the hexes tbh :)
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Xenomorph

Post by Xenomorph »

My favorite is the type of grid that only shows the corners of the hexagons. I used to not care even slightly about map aesthetics but then saw a game that had an absolutely gorgeous map that only used those partial hexes. I thought "why aren't all games like this?". I find that the better the graphics the easier it is to immerse yourself in the game. I'll also say (and I know you guys have said you appreciate constructive criticism) that when initially searching for a new game I did an image search on google. I skipped right past FCRS many times bc I found the map graphics so not to my taste. Almost a huge mistake but obviously I luckily did take a closer look eventually. I only mention this bc I'm wondering how many folks did exactly this and didn't come back. I suppose this falls under the heading "you only get one chance to make a first impression".
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

Map graphics are as varied as the games we play.

I don't know what the percentage breakdown is for the different categories. We've seen comments ranging from the maps look really good to they are dirt poor. In the area of graphics especially the term, 'you can't please everyone' is an absolute. Only with multiple different styles of maps can we accomplish that. Unfortunately that doesn't happen when you release a game. That happens after the community supports it.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
DoubleDeuce

Post by DoubleDeuce »

I just want clearly readable, functional maps. While I think map prettiness would probably help sell the game, its not something I think should be at the top of the developers "To Do" list especially if it takes time away from testing, bug fixing and new feature coding. And that's my 2 cents.
Xenomorph

Post by Xenomorph »

ORIGINAL: Double Deuce

While I think map prettiness would probably help sell the game, its not something I think should be at the top of the developers "To Do" list especially if it takes time away from testing, bug fixing and new feature coding. And that's my 2 cents.

Agree with that. Excepting for the notion that more players = more modders.
wodin

Post by wodin »

Again have the grid as a layer if possible that can be turned on or off. I also agree that it all depends on the art style aswell plus if it is still easy to work out distances.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Independent grids/hexes that you can turn off and on would have to wait for 2.1 or later. That would need to be coded in to the map editor and game engine.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”