Idea

vobbnobb

Idea

Post by vobbnobb »

When you right click on unit there should be an option dot to scavenge area. You could select one man to do this or entire team that way when you move a guy over weapons who has no ammo . No more will there be a couple of guys who won't scavenge.
SteveMcClaire

RE: Idea

Post by SteveMcClaire »

Scavenging happens automatically when you have a man who is low/out of ammo and there's a weapon on the ground nearby. And a team's main weapon (MGs, mortars, etc) are automatically picked up by someone else. So while adding a command for this is possible, I don't think it would be useful most of the time.

Steve
mooxe

Post by mooxe »

Is it possible to mod when a soldier begins to scavenge?

Is it also possible for an allied 81mm mortar team to scavenge mortars from a german 81mm mortar team?
Close Combat Series

CCS on Youtube

Join Discord for tech support and online games.
Kanov

Post by Kanov »

Personal weapons are given preference.

If you make a flamethrower a personal weapon instead of a crewed one, you'll pick it up fairly commonly with other teams, provided the conditions exposed on this thread at CCS are met. (tested on CC5)

I don't know all the parameters for this behavior so I don't know if it would work with a mortar tube or if they are internally coded differently. Only a test will do.

You cannot, however, pick up ammo for a given weapon class from a different weapon class. For your second question both teams would need to have the same weapon class assigned to them. But first we need to test if mortars can be picked up if changed from crewed to personal.

IMO, scavenging is perfectly fine right now. Only thing I would add is that surrounded teams retain their weapons and ammo if they can't trace a path towards a supply map, that means retaining whatever weapons they ended the battle with, even captured ones.
Hard-core Spectre
Tejszd

Post by Tejszd »

Keeping captured weapons would be cool.
SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

Keeping captured weapons has been discussed from time to time, but it's hard to justify. It would be cool, but it would also have to be severely limited (i.e. once it is out of ammo it's gone) to keep it from becoming a focal part of the game. Given the relatively high losses in CC I can easily see players using this to field US infantry with a bunch of MG42s instead of BARs, or German troops using Garands instead of Mausers. :)
Kanov

Post by Kanov »

Regarding the concept of capturing weapons, in the scenario I've described above only units with supply cut-off would keep whatever weapons & ammo they have at the end of the current battle for use in next battles. When and if supply is resumed then they get issued new standard gear and their captured weapons, if any, are lost.
Hard-core Spectre
vobbnobb

Post by vobbnobb »

@ kanov wow nice idea
Kanov

Post by Kanov »

Continuing with scavenging woes, how does it work exactly? in the posts above I have pasted a link with a detailed explanation on how I found out it works, but would like to know for sure like how and where is the data of the weapon that can be scavenged stored at?

We know soldiers scavenge ammo too not just weapons.

Can this weapon&ammo info be somehow scripted to a unit? say a truck or jeep?
Hard-core Spectre
CGGrognard

Post by CGGrognard »

A good example of scavenging and using enemy weapons is illustrated in The Winter War mods on You Tube. Check them out to see scavenging in action.
"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." - Sun Tzu
SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

ORIGINAL: Kanov

Continuing with scavenging woes, how does it work exactly? in the posts above I have pasted a link with a detailed explanation on how I found out it works, but would like to know for sure like how and where is the data of the weapon that can be scavenged stored at?

We know soldiers scavenge ammo too not just weapons.

Can this weapon&ammo info be somehow scripted to a unit? say a truck or jeep?

Soldiers who are low on ammo will try to scavenge ammo off friendly casualties nearby.

If there is no ammo for their current weapon and they are out of ammo completely, they may take a different weapon off a friendly casualty.

If there is no ammo and no friendly weapon lying around, and they are out of ammo, they may take an enemy weapon. This is limited to an enemy soldier's primary weapon (i.e. no crewed or secondary).

No, you cannot add ammo to vehicles for soldiers to scavenge. It is only off of casualties.

Steve
vobbnobb

Post by vobbnobb »

The find friendly weapon first would make sense, since enemy weapons may draw friendly fire most likely historically. Also finding ammo / the troops probably were unknown on how to on maintain them etc.
Kanov

Post by Kanov »

Thanks for responding Steve, but we already knew that. Is not enteirely correct that only primary weapons get scavenged though, I've seen soldiers scavenge sidearms (revolvers, semi-auto guns) and even a flamethrower and an crewed mg42. While it is correct that primary weapons have top priority, crewed weapons can still be picked up though quite rare, I think mooxe even managed to scavenge a mortar tube..

Also, it depends if the soldier is carrying another weapon with him, if he has for example a pzfaust, explosives or a pistol with at least one magazine + one round left, he will not pick up another weapon even if you yell at him (believe me I've tried).

I wanted to know more from a technical point of view, where is the data of the weapon that can be picked up stored? does the game writes this data on a square on the map where a sprite is killed and then the code tells another sprite that it can pick up the weapon? can't this part of code be worked on to allow manipulation by the user? i.e. in scenario editor make a truck to carry certain ammo, or make ammo dumps for a defensive scenario (like operation flashpoint). Also to allow sharing of ammo among soldiers within a squad. Maybe even create our own supply nodes in campaign with their own parameters (is it fuel, ammo or both? how much they have stock piled? how much quantity can they provide? how far? for how long? etc etc)

This of course at consideration to use on future CC as doing it for any of the current ones might be not feasible.

cheers

PS, teasers for tbf, when?

edit: added a reference for something that I've seen in another game.
Hard-core Spectre
SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

ORIGINAL: Kanov
I wanted to know more from a technical point of view, where is the data of the weapon that can be picked up stored? does the game writes this data on a square on the map where a sprite is killed and then the code tells another sprite that it can pick up the weapon? can't this part of code be worked on to allow manipulation by the user? i.e. in scenario editor make a truck to carry certain ammo, or make ammo dumps for a defensive scenario. Also to allow sharing of ammo among soldiers within a squad. Maybe even create our own supply nodes in campaign with their own parameters (is it fuel, ammo or both? how much they have stock piled? how much quantity can they provide? how far? for how long? etc etc)

The ammo and weapons are on the soldiers. This data is maintained even when a solder becomes a casualty. So scavenging is searching the casualties nearby. There's no current way for the player/scenario designer to do this manually. It is something that could be changed in the future, though.

Steve
Kanov

Post by Kanov »

Thanks for the reply Steve.
Hard-core Spectre

Return to “Close Combat Series”