IA attack with corsairs in 1942 defending los angeles

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers.

Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Zecke

IA attack with corsairs in 1942 defending los angeles

Post by Zecke »

we can see in the looses plane panel: the IA tried to defend in 1942 Los Angeles with corsairs and attacks the japan CVs wich kills all the zeros, but Los Angeles was taken by japan finally on 10/7/1942

Attachments
Capturade..18.19.06.jpg
Capturade..18.19.06.jpg (103.55 KiB) Viewed 333 times
Epsilon Eridani

Zecke

RE: IA attack with corsairs in 1942 defending los angeles

Post by Zecke »

Imagen of los angeles at 10/7/1942

Attachments
Capturade..18.17.57.jpg
Capturade..18.17.57.jpg (85.67 KiB) Viewed 328 times
Epsilon Eridani

engineer

RE: IA attack with corsairs in 1942 defending los angeles

Post by engineer »

Well, WitP is a historical game.  But this seems "exploity" to me.  Usually I mod my scenarios in three ways to make an invasion of the lower 48 States closer to the historical challenge it would have posed. 
[ol][*]Add the historical coast artillery that defended the major US ports along the west coast to the OOB.  This goes up to 14" rifles as I recall.
[*]Adding low point value bases (Barstow, Bakersfield, Santa Barbara, Sacramento, Monterrey, Redding, Eureka, etc.) along the US interior & coast to provide back-up US bases/airfields.  If the game starts show a potential attack, the Allied player can at least develop the bases and stack up what air power he can muster so a strike by the Kido Butai has to contend with a continental scale attack instead treating LA as a near island.
[*]Litter the US bases with ahistorical militia divisions (squads slightly weaker than 1941 US Army with a few mortars and little artillery and fortifications to lock them in place - sort of like KMT corps).  This reflects the absence of emergency reinforcements a landing would provoke (which is covered in AE), and the presence of large numbers of rear area military personnel outside organized units, tens to hundreds of thousands of Great War veterans who would object to foreign invasion, and the general US gun culture where gun ownership and marksmanship was widespread. A landing would plausibly provoke a levee en masse of poorly disciplined light infantry that would complicate a Japanese invasion.  [/ol]

Most historians agree a Japanese invasion of the continental USA was implausible.  Stock WitP really doesn't treat this contingency seriously.  The points above don't really alter the play balance much since if the Japanese don't attack the West Coast, the units just sit there for the whole game.  I usually tinker on the VP to make sure that the extra US bases don't make it harder for a Japanese 1942 autovictory by lowering other "safe" Allied victory points or boosting some countervailing VP on the Japanese side of the ledger (e.g. Nanking or Peking).

Return to “The War Room”