D4Y1-c Judy

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Lowpe

D4Y1-c Judy

Post by Lowpe »

Judy Recon plane...I get her next month in my game and actually inherited a small factory for them. I can find one small unit that upgrades to them.

Anybody ever use these planes before? Any weird plane upgrade paths to make another squadron of them? I found a couple more squadrons for the D4Y2-c.

Attachments
d4y1c.jpg
d4y1c.jpg (30.07 KiB) Viewed 150 times
Lokasenna

RE: D4Y1-c Judy

Post by Lokasenna »

I believe Mike Solli was looking into using them.

I'm thinking about using them, whether on a CV or not.
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

The Yokosuka Ku T-1 can upgrade to them and that is all I have found so far. For me it is a 9 plane squadron that flies Mavis now. Not sure that is a good trade...but Babs to Judy recon would be nice.

Erkki

Post by Erkki »

These units can use them(from RA but I believe the units are the same in scen 1, 2 and dbb, IIRC)

So, by the mid-Dec of 1942 that should make 5 units with 45 planes together + 2 more units with 24 aircraft together to arrive within a couple of months.

Attachments
D4Y1C.jpg
D4Y1C.jpg (297.61 KiB) Viewed 150 times
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Thanks, but your list is a little more generous than mine...

First reinforcement group isn't until 4/20/43.

I was hoping there was some convoluted upgrade path to unlock some.

Attachments
Judyrecon.jpg
Judyrecon.jpg (82.18 KiB) Viewed 150 times
Erkki

Post by Erkki »

Ouch! Which scenario is it?
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Scenario 6.
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

And now even more good news, the Yokosuka Ku T-1 is a perm. restricted unit too in my game.

Looks like I can have a small factory making these planes, but can't get any onto a carrier until 4/20/43 at the earliest and only if that unit isn't restricted too.

Ugh.
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

Ok, I found where the Judy recon is talked about in Mike's excellent AAR...it is in the last 3-4 four pages of it...good memory there. I read when posted, but forgot about it.

Not really much information is given, except that Mike feels he over produced the Aichi Ha-60 engine (his pool was over 600 sometime in 43)...and converting the early Judy to kamis to make use of the engine.

He doesn't ever talk about using the D4Y1-c however.

Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

And now even more good news, the Yokosuka Ku T-1 is a perm. restricted unit too in my game.

Looks like I can have a small factory making these planes, but can't get any onto a carrier until 4/20/43 at the earliest and only if that unit isn't restricted too.

Ugh.

You could still transfer them to a CV, and they would become unrestricted in the process, whether they are white or yellow restricted.

Ok, I found where the Judy recon is talked about in Mike's excellent AAR...it is in the last 3-4 four pages of it...good memory there. I read when posted, but forgot about it.

Not really much information is given, except that Mike feels he over produced the Aichi Ha-60 engine (his pool was over 600 sometime in 43)...and converting the early Judy to kamis to make use of the engine.

Hrm. Maybe it was Obvert, then.
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

[quote]ORIGINAL: Lokasenna
You could still transfer them to a CV, and they would become unrestricted in the process, whether they are white or yellow restricted.
[quote]

Probably have a house rule about that...kind of a gray area.

Not sure it is worth trading Mavis for them. I am a sad jfb.
[&:]

John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

I am a fan of the Recon Judy and this is why we created several Chutai of them in RA.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
Cribtop

Post by Cribtop »

I like the plane. There were several groups in scenario 1 that could upgrade to it.
offenseman

Post by offenseman »

I used it and intend to again in my current game. I've used them on a CVE and the long range recon is very impressive as is the search range. Both with DT of course and needless to say one has to watch the sortie count mount up. On land they are impressivelly ranged crates that can fly from a size 2 base. Perfect for many small bases. Imagine something like recon on Shemya from Paramushiro-Jima for instance. While not terribly important, there is a certain utility to have a unit of those around.

It also has only one engine while Dinah has two.
Sometimes things said in Nitwit sound very different in English.
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

Its a nice plane, but it is IJN and I don't devote too many IJN units to recon particularly when I have so many IJA units already designated. And it uses what for me is generally a unique engine. So, I have used them, but not a lot.
Pax
obvert

Post by obvert »

Ugh.

Hrm. Maybe it was Obvert, then.

Yes. It was me.

I love the Judy. I at first made the Irving recon plane, then realized this was a waste due to similar range and one less engine on the Judy, plus it's CV ability. The Judy became the standard recon for the IJN during 42-44 until the Myrt, which is even better.

It's ability to work from CVs is really helpful. Not just for the excellent long range recon, but for the long range search as well. A great use for CVE moving with the KB.

In my second game I've used them to recon Columbo from a CVE just off of Sumatra, well out of range of Allied search. This kind of a mission is so useful and can really team well with the G3M3 distant strike capability. I think it was a Judy that noticed BBs in port at Madras in the Wild Sheep game and led to a Betty strike that crippled the RN for a good while.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Nice idea putting them on CVEs for recon of tricky spots.

It is unfortunate that I have only 1 squadron until April 43...
Cribtop

Post by Cribtop »

I too like the CVE idea!
rms1pa

Post by rms1pa »

Nice idea putting them on CVEs for recon of tricky spots.

It is unfortunate that I have only 1 squadron until April 43...
ummm divide squadron?

rms/pa
there is a technical term for those who confuse the opinions of an author's characters for the opinions of the author.
the term is IDIOT.
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: rms1pa
ummm divide squadron?

It has only 9 planes...but it is an idea for targeted uses.

Return to “The War Room”