Sub-Unit Inspector question

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin, IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian

Killjoy12

Sub-Unit Inspector question

Post by Killjoy12 »

From what I can tell, it looks like the Sub-Unit Inspector only includes equipment that is present in the mission - is this correct? If so, it seems a little like a cheat. I find myself using it to get familiar with the red side equipment, but if it only contains stuff I'm likely to face, then it kinda removes a little of the fog of war. If this is the case, is there any chance of opening it up to include all equipment?
CapnDarwin

RE: Sub-Unit Inspector question

Post by CapnDarwin »

Yes, you are correct. The SUI reads the information stored in the scenario files and not the database files. We have plans to do a database viewer in the future (maybe for 2.1 time permitting). As for use as a cheat of the FOW for a scenario, I'll check with Rob on the adjustments being made in the 2.04 update. One fix for this issue may be the locking out of the enemy side in the SUI if allow browsing is off. I'll chat with him tonight and see what we are doing for that specific case.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
Killjoy12

Post by Killjoy12 »

I understand that may be a short-term fix, but long-term - without a database inspector - I think that may be too limiting. It's nice to be able to pull stats on adversaries, as I'm not fully versed in all the equipment out there. The issue now is that only pulling in the ones in the scenario make it too obvious what is out there and what to expect.
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

I wouldn't get too enamored with the fact that you can only pull up what equipment the other side has. That's a very small bit of information that can get you in trouble. The difference between a T-80B1, T-80BV and a T-80U is not small. It's very likely that you will meet units with more than one equipment type on the map. Where they are is a different story.

You would get a very nasty shock if you checked saw the T-80BV when in fact the tanks you are facing are T-80U's. I treat them all as if they are extremely dangerous. Which they generally are! [:D]

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
Killjoy12

Post by Killjoy12 »

Very true. But if no T-80 showed up in the SUI, then I would know I has no chance of facing one.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

The issue is a matter of coding and where we are pointing to see information. The SUI was build to handle what is in the current fight. We all agree that a full data viewer would be great. We have even talked about allowing a comparison function in the viewer too. It is on our wish list with many other things. Hopefully we can fold this into 2.1 if we have time/schedule to get it in. Sadly, only so many hours in a day we can work on this stuff.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
Killjoy12

Post by Killjoy12 »

I understand. This is just an observation/suggestion.

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”