What would make me Happy

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

WarHunter

What would make me Happy

Post by WarHunter »

How about a list of all the known bugs.

You don't have to tell me when they are going to be fixed. I just want to be able to know if i run across something that makes my game fubar. It is on the list or not.

Then i can decide to slap together a save game, and report it right away or just know it has been reported already.

Yes, this is what i want. [:(]

The facts of playing today reveal a bug in naval air combat. It vexes me greatly because of the ramifications of this bug to combat is one of the core elements of the game. The weather Rain doesn't half the air to sea factors or half AA fire. Sure makes fighting in bad weather a non issue.

Would like to know if this has already been reported.
“We never felt like we were losing until we were actually dead.”
Marcus Luttrell
paulderynck

RE: What would make me Happy

Post by paulderynck »

AA is not halved in Rain.

Edit: It is never halved. It washes out 'cuz the the aircraft factors are halved.
Paul
WarHunter

Post by WarHunter »

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

Edit: It is never halved. It washes out 'cuz the the aircraft factors are halved.

You do understand my main point? About wanting a list of bugs reported so we the players can run down the list and see if we should post a problem. Real or rules related.

Another thing, RAIN in my current 2player game does not affect Air to SEA factors.
I just got through playing with firmir and the Italian naval air was able to bomb with FULL air to sea factors.

Whatever the washes out means. I don't get it. We found a bug, i want to know if it has been reported or not.
[:@]

Playing a 2 player game and finding bugs and getting answers like this is not helping matters. I may not be the most articulate of posters. But your reply never addressed the main point.

Help a gamer out. Don't be such a goof.

I made a mistake is the AA factors. Not in the air to sea.

Attachments
rain01.jpg
rain01.jpg (103.22 KiB) Viewed 72 times
Marcus Luttrell
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Nice post.

Sorry, I am unable to help.
Paul
WarHunter

Post by WarHunter »

Nice post.

I appreciate the help setting me straight on the AA fire. Its just hard to believe the air to sea factors during rain not being halved, has not been reported already.

Which got me to thinking it would be a good idea to have a list of known bugs for the player base to refer to.

It can't be that hard to post a bug list. Can it?
Who would have to OK a list for general consumption.
Marcus Luttrell
AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

ORIGINAL: WarHunter

Nice post.

I appreciate the help setting me straight on the AA fire. Its just hard to believe the air to sea factors during rain not being halved, has not been reported already.

Which got me to thinking it would be a good idea to have a list of known bugs for the player base to refer to.

I think Steve explained this in one of his previous monthly's recently?
joshuamnave

Post by joshuamnave »

What would make me happy - an initiative roll for the J/A 1945 turn.
Head Geek in Charge at politigeek.net - the intersection of politics and all things geeky
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

Edit: . It washes out 'cuz the the aircraft factors are halved.

Wrong. It halved in a surprise impulse.
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: WarHunter

Nice post.

It is difficult to know whether a bug is 'real' or not. At least half of the reported bugs aren't (e.g., wrong rules interpretation, fixed in a version since the bug was reported, reported as a problem with 'A' but the bug actually has to do with 'B').

Even when I can determine that something is definitely wrong, it is usually difficult to describe the bug accurately. A common occurrence is to begin the analysis thinking that X is the cause but that turns out to be completely wrong after investigation. As one example, the "Bermuda Triangle" reference to a supply bug in China had nothing to do with the portion of the map players thought was defective in some way. Instead, it had to do with improving search paths to find the best path after an earlier search had failed using some of the same rail lines. Last week the beta testers were suggesting that submarines were blocking sea area supply - I knew that that wasn't the problem from having examined that code recently.

Given that a failure occurs during a certain phase of the game, I still can't automatically ascribe the problem to that phase. It could be that something happened earlier that messed things up. For instance, back in November it took a lot of analysis to figure out why temporary carrier air units (the optional rule Carrier Planes was OFF) were appearing in hexes several phases after they had performed their missions and already returned to their carriers. That problem had to do with saving and restoring games with some variables not being cleared/reinitialized.

So, as I look at my task list, 'bugs' are really "suspected bugs" and their associated descriptions are "may be related to suggestions".

It would be a tremendous help to me for someone to provide a definitive list of bugs - but sadly, that person is me.[:(]
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
AllenK

Post by AllenK »

Well Steve,

I'll just say thanks for your ongoing work to correct the bugs you do identify.
WarHunter

Post by WarHunter »

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

It is difficult to know whether a bug is 'real' or not. At least half of the reported bugs aren't (e.g., wrong rules interpretation, fixed in a version since the bug was reported, reported as a problem with 'A' but the bug actually has to do with 'B').

Even when I can determine that something is definitely wrong, it is usually difficult to describe the bug accurately. A common occurrence is to begin the analysis thinking that X is the cause but that turns out to be completely wrong after investigation. As one example, the "Bermuda Triangle" reference to a supply bug in China had nothing to do with the portion of the map players thought was defective in some way. Instead, it had to do with improving search paths to find the best path after an earlier search had failed using some of the same rail lines. Last week the beta testers were suggesting that submarines were blocking sea area supply - I knew that that wasn't the problem from having examined that code recently.

Given that a failure occurs during a certain phase of the game, I still can't automatically ascribe the problem to that phase. It could be that something happened earlier that messed things up. For instance, back in November it took a lot of analysis to figure out why temporary carrier air units (the optional rule Carrier Planes was OFF) were appearing in hexes several phases after they had performed their missions and already returned to their carriers. That problem had to do with saving and restoring games with some variables not being cleared/reinitialized.

So, as I look at my task list, 'bugs' are really "suspected bugs" and their associated descriptions are "may be related to suggestions".

It would be a tremendous help to me for someone to provide a definitive list of bugs - but sadly, that person is me.[:(]

Thanks for the explanation. If its hard for you to provide a list for yourself about 'bugs' vs "suspected bugs". Its doubly hard for us players.

I know of one game where militia is being built before war has been declared. A player new to the game or even returning from a long absence could easily not know that is a bug. If the Program allows it, many players will agree it is acceptable. Until it is changed.

The latest finds in my current play through have uncovered for me 3 combat related 'bugs'. Auto victory in bad weather, air to sea not halved in bad weather, winterized units no effect in winter blizzard. All have the common theme of bad weather. I take it for granted i should report them as bugs. I also think they must have already been reported.

If the time is available to create one. Even a short list of known bugs would be useful for us players.

Even though I do complain sometimes. I'm not going away anytime soon. I like the game even in its current mutated form.

Thank you for the continued updating of MWiF and conversation.
Marcus Luttrell

Return to “World in Flames”