Small scenarios for a new user

Post suggestions and discuss the scenario and database editors here.
amandkm

Small scenarios for a new user

Post by amandkm »

Hello all, I just purchased the game, and while fascinated by the concept, I'm intimidated and overwhelmed by the scale of the scenarios.

Are there any theater sized scenarions out there? I am playing the Jutland one, but am wondering if any user-made scenarios are available?

Thanks!
Connfire

RE: Small scenarios for a new user

Post by Connfire »

Hmm, an interesting question. I don't know of any new player-based theater-sized scenarios being made for a long time.

I recommend you give the whole map a shot, keeping in mind the first turn is often the longest to do. But if you want to condense it down into smaller chunks, here's what I suggest. Start one of the big campaigns. Once the campaign loads, click the 12th icon above the map, which is the Show Control Zone Button (or you can just press the "Z" key). You'll see the entire map divided into 7 geographic control zones. You may chose which zones you'd like to control, and which you'd rather have the computer control. The beauty of this is as you grow more confident in your skills, you can add additional zones to your control at any time.

Welcome to WPO! Let me know if you have any other questions.
amandkm

Post by amandkm »

Thanks.! I tried that, and made the mistake of picking India, and found I had nothing to do. On the other hand, the West coast seems kind of remote from the action. What area would you suggest as the best start? Philippines?

I am sure i will have many many questions, like how do I set my land based air to do searches? are the various "A" ships limited in what types of cargo they can carry? Can I set supply replenishment to a 'minister' control and have the computer do it until I am more comfortable?
Connfire

Post by Connfire »

Try selecting the South Zone. [;)] I'd also consider the East Zone, if for no other reason to get control of the units that will be arriving on the US West Coast so you can send them to the battle areas.

To answer your other questions:
how do I set my land based air to do searches?

Click the air unit. Under "Group Mission" in the upper right side of the box, click "Naval Search".
are the various "A" ships limited in what types of cargo they can carry?

Yes. Their cargo capacity can be seen if you click the individual ship. Or if you click the task force you can see all of your ships' under "Cap". For AKs a supply or resource point = 1 cargo cap, for TKs a fuel or oil point - 1 cargo cap. For AKs carrying fuel, 1 fuel point = 2 cap. For carrying troops, the formula is a bit different - click the ground unit to see how much capacity it will need for APs and AKs - APs are on a 1:1 ratio while AKs are significantly higher. Most ground units require multiple APs or AKs to carry them.
Can I set supply replenishment to a 'minister' control and have the computer do it until I am more comfortable?

I think you're referring to Auto-Convoy. This can be done at Mare Island and Karachi. Refer to page 145 in the rulebook for a full explanation on how that works.

I have a thread in the general WPO forum called "http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3339202". I'm cutting and pasting your above questions onto that thread, and encourage you to continue asking any question you may have there.
amandkm

Post by amandkm »

Are there any scenarios at all still able to be reached? I tried to access the Pandora's box, but it seems the link doesnt lead to a file. Are there any others?
Connfire

Post by Connfire »

Another forumer, Kirk, makes most of the scenarios. They are only available for a certain amount of time before they expire. I'll let him know you're interested. Hopefully he can upload it again.
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Hi Rob,
I have been very busy with real life stuff,but thanks for letting me know about the inactive download link for Pandoras Box.

New link is here for anyone who wants to try this scenario out.

http://www.gamefront.com/files/24195819 ... Orange.zip
Make it so!

Return to “Scenario Design”