Tractor Works AI strangeness

Get ready for Mark H. Walker's Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad. This is the first complete computer game in the Lock ‘n Load series, covering the battles in and around Stalingrad during World War II.
hjc

Tractor Works AI strangeness

Post by hjc »

I'm new to HoS and trying to understand what goes on with the AI.

Does "hide in place" mean the AI unit will never move despite it being set to an attack, or even 'beserk' status?

The reason I ask is when playing the Tractor Works scenario (thanks jcrohio for these scenarios) as the Soviets, if I simply sit and do nothing (passing every phase) the AI also passes every phase. The whole scenario passes and I win because I've still got all the victory hexes. I Fiddled around with the editor and changed the status of some german units away from HIP. Even then it seemed the only way to get the germans to start attacking was to try to spot them, then fire on them. Otherwise the computer passes repeatedly.

I noticed there is a difference between Tractor Works and Streets of Stalingrad scenarios - in SoS scenario the germans near the tractor works are not all set to HIP, whereas in Tractor works they are. The difference is pretty clear, because when playing SoS, the germans attack the tractor works victory hexes in strength.

I've experimented in 1.07 and just updated to 1.09 with the same results.

I did find one way to get the germans to reliably attack is to set MG areas on the victory hexes, then set german units to that MG area. Is this what we're meant to do if we want the AI to attack and take victory hexes? I'm puzzled because in some other scenarios the AI will attack and try to take victory hexes without MG areas being set.

jcrohio

RE: Tractor Works AI strangeness

Post by jcrohio »

See what you mean - adjusted Tractor Works and also made a change to victory conditons in Streets of Stalingrad. Let me know how they are. Could not upload here for some reason so uploaded a change in the mods forum. Take the following two .map files and copy them to your maps folder. I would rename the original first just in case.

Jack
Jack
hjc

Post by hjc »

Thanks very much Jack, will download and try them out when I get home later on. cheers!
hjc

Post by hjc »

That's better, thanks Jack.
Tom Proudfoot

Post by Tom Proudfoot »

Hide in Place overrides whatever the overall AI setting is (Attack, etc.) for those units. Should only be used for defensive units. I guess you figured this out, though. [;)]

Return to “Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad”