Too many heroes

Get ready for Mark H. Walker's Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad. This is the first complete computer game in the Lock ‘n Load series, covering the battles in and around Stalingrad during World War II.
NZgunner

Too many heroes

Post by NZgunner »

While I like the idea of heroes and their skill cards, there just seem to be too many of them generated.

In the 3rd scenario of the German campaign, the human wave attacks from the wheat fields seemed to throw up a hero as quickly as I shot one down, and the only thing that kept me in it was my own hero with the slayer ability - but I lost as yet another Russian hero assaulted one of the VP locations leaving it as a contested melee hex at the end of the last turn.

Maybe it is just this scenario with the masses of Russian units and all the shooting that the Germans get to do every turn, but the hero counters (including my own) dominated the gameplay a lot more than felt right. The Russians got one particular hero that allowed them to have a second chance at rallying everyone, which really hurt me as I'd stopped the attack in its tracks and was preparing to withdraw to the foxholes, but had to leave some squads in their starting positions because of the good order enemies close to them.
Michael T

RE: Too many heroes

Post by Michael T »

Agreed. They occur too frequently.
jonj01

Post by jonj01 »

I think everyone is agreed. That scenario in particular, they are a real pain.
There is a option in designing scenarios that allows, for less heros to be generated.
baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 »

That is where I left playing the German campain, and only play single scenarios now. I tried 9 times (on easy even) and was never able to move past it. Not a fan of being unable to continue with the campain until you win. Love the game though, and play on hard now, with a mix of won/lost scenarios.
JRR
LeeChard

Post by LeeChard »

I feel the same way. It particularly bugs me when a hero is created near your stack of broken units and
he takes all of them out[:@]
Redan

Post by Redan »

As I recall, the Russians were fighting Nazi stormtroopers hand to hand pretty much in their grandmothers' bedrooms. I'mtold the Russians won the war. Why are you surprised by carnage?
"You can't stack units in this game. This is Tactics II, hexes haven't been invented yet..."

Return to “Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad”