Post new mods and scenarios here.
usgrandprix

Installing scenarios and mods

Post by usgrandprix »

Right now there are basically three methods:

1. A base game scenario
2. A scenario based on a mod (1.08)
3. A scenario based on a mod (1.09)

A scenario is a .map file. Don't let the “map” fool you. It's a scenario.
A mod might include several files such a .bmp, .mpp, .csv, etc. because it has added units, maps, etc. for that mod’s scenarios.

1. A base game scenario

This is a scenario you can build with the base game content. It uses no custom maps, units, etc. All it will have is a .map file to place in:

\Matrix Games\Lock n Load Heroes of Stalingrad\maps

Then you can open it in the scenarios in the interface.

Troubleshooting: Make sure you did not put the .map file in the "\Matrix Games\Lock n Load Heroes of Stalingrad\art\maps" folder.

2. A scenario based on a mod (1.08)

This is a scenario (ie a .map) that is based on custom (mod) content. You need to have the right files in the right places to make it work.
The instructions might vary slightly but they look basically like this:

1. Place "xxx.map" into "Matrix Games\Lock n Load Heroes of Stalingrad\maps."

2. Place image (usually .bmp) files into "Matrix Games\Lock n Load Heroes of Stalingrad\art\counters." (There might be other image files to place in other folders in Matrix Games\Lock n Load Heroes of Stalingrad\art.)

3. IMPORTANT: Back up your .csv files (like "Sprites.csv" and "Units.csv" and "Nations.csv") from "Matrix Games\Lock n Load Heroes of Stalingrad\Custom."

4. Place the mod .csv files (like "Sprites.csv" and "Units.csv" and "Nations.csv") into "Matrix Games\Lock n Load Heroes of Stalingrad\Custom." It will overwrite what is in there so make sure you backed up (see Step #3) if you have made customs.

If you have more than one mod installed you need to redo steps #3 and #4 for a mod's files every time you want to play a scenario based on that mod. So keep well-labeled backup folders of the "Matrix Games\Lock n Load Heroes of Stalingrad\Custom" files for a given mod.

Troubleshooting: If you open a scenario based on a mod and you see odd names for the nations or odd units that make no sense then the scenario does not have the right mod files in the right place to know what units to use. In this case you need to double check that you have the .csv files for that mod in the "Matrix Games\Lock n Load Heroes of Stalingrad\Custom" folder by following steps 3 and 4 above. But don’t be concerned, becasue it’s not breaking your regular scenarios. Nor do you usually need to change anything about steps 1 and 2.

3. A scenario based on a mod (1.09-1.10)

This is a scenario (ie a .map) that is based on custom (mod) content. You need to have the right files in the right place to make it work.

1. Place all of the files in Matrix Games\Lock n Load Heroes of Stalingrad\[mod name here]

The modder should tell you the name of the folder.

2. With a text editor open modules.dat from “C:\Matrix Games\Lock n Load Heroes of Stalingrad.” Add the mod name (same as the folder name in Step #1) to the bottom of the list on its own line. Make sure there is a blank paragraph after it.

It might look like this [stuff in brackets is placeholder]:

# modules.dat
#
# special country mode: DE = germany, cut out some stuff
mode:US
#
# Directories to load .csv files and scenarios from:
#
Custom
Stalingrad
[place the mod folder name here]
[make sure there’s an extra blank line here]

Though you can have multiple lines of custom folder names (each on its own line), you should probably modify modules.dat so the only custom folder in it is the mod’s folder name before each time you play a scenario from a different mod. It reads from the last one.

Troubleshooting: I'm getting funky units, nations, etc.. One of two things is wrong:

1. You have old 1.08 .csvs in "Matrix Games\Lock n Load Heroes of Stalingrad\Custom." Back up everything there and remove it.

2. You have multiple custom mod folders and they are clashing. Make sure modules.dat has the correct folder name for the mod you want to play. Remove all others custom folder names you added to modules.dat. In other words, before you play a scenario for a mod, make sure modules.dat has only that mod's folder name in it. Then change it again before you play another scenario based on another mod.
usgrandprix

RE: Installing scenarios and mods

Post by usgrandprix »

Example of modules.dat:

Attachments
mods.jpg
mods.jpg (74.07 KiB) Viewed 226 times
maitrebongo

Post by maitrebongo »

Excellent, should be sticky...
"Impossible is not French" Napoleon Bonaparte
baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 »

With my windows 8.1 laptop, I tried to open modules.dat. I got a message asking me if I would like to go to the apps store and purchase an app to open this file with, Is there a free app that can open it? I have 1.09 installed and am only able to play some of the modders scenarios.
JRR
jonj01

Post by jonj01 »

ORIGINAL: baloo7777

With my windows 8.1 laptop, I tried to open modules.dat. I got a message asking me if I would like to go to the apps store and purchase an app to open this file with, Is there a free app that can open it? I have 1.09 installed and am only able to play some of the modders scenarios.
you open the modules.dat file with notepad or any other generic text editor. hit "start" on your desktop...go to programs..then accessories..then pick "notepad"
jcrochio has maybe a better solution though than having to alter the modules.dat file everytime.
usgrandprix

Post by usgrandprix »

ORIGINAL: baloo7777

I don't have Windows 8 but I would think it has Notepad. If so:

1. Open Notepad. Start > All Programs > Accessories > Notepad.

2. In Notepad go to File > Open.

3. Now it's got a box asking what to open. Navigate to C:\Matrix Games\Lock n Load Heroes of Stalingrad to open the modules.dat file. Make sure it says "All Files" in the bottom right. If it says something like "Text Files" you have to change it to "All Files" or you will not see modules.dat to open.

Attachments
Capture.jpg
Capture.jpg (16.53 KiB) Viewed 212 times
usgrandprix

Post by usgrandprix »

You might also try right clicking once the modules.dat file and see if there is an "Open With" option. If so click it and choose Notepad.
baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 »

Thank you! Am trying it now. Also checking out what jonj01 wrote... "jcrochio has maybe a better solution though than having to alter the modules.dat file everytime."
JRR
HobbesACW

Post by HobbesACW »

Hi folks, I thought I would try a few of the mods but now I see this slightly weird map with one of the stock scenarios. Is this to be expected with certain mods - or is it not a mod problem?

Attachments
Capture.jpg
Capture.jpg (64.17 KiB) Viewed 213 times
Barthheart

Post by Barthheart »

I don't think there's anything wrong with that map. The two sections are using slightly different graphics that's all. They were originally from different modules.
It has nothing to do with the mods.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
usgrandprix

Post by usgrandprix »

ORIGINAL: hobbes

Hi folks, I thought I would try a few of the mods but now I see this slightly weird map with one of the stock scenarios. Is this to be expected with certain mods - or is it not a mod problem?

I think that you would find a fresh install looks like that too for that stock scenario. Some maps play better together than others. I don't think this is a mod issue.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”