wish list

3D version of Close Combat
Kilovski

RE: wish list

Post by Kilovski »

With you on that nzgunner. It seems they are going for a CC3 style campaign on this one, I myself would prefer a CC5 style campaign. As battles fought in CC3 didn't really have any effect on the game, it all ended in Berlin one way or the other. CC5 was much more engaging IMO.
Javolenus

Post by Javolenus »

My hopes & wishes for the new CC game go something like this:

1. I like the "topdown" view -- please keep. Games like Combat Mission and Operation Star require as much of a fight with the camera as with the AI opponent.
2. I like the CC AARs -- statistical data showing how various squads & indivduals performed, as well as medals won etc. Please keep!
3. I like the CC psychology model -- please keep.
4. The AI in CC is its big weakness (imho). In fact, I won't buy another CC game until I'm convinced the AI is significantly improved.
5. I would like a powerful & flexible mission editor -- one that will allow players to set up their own objectives, deployment zones, as well as tweak all aspects of the scenario (time of day, weather, logistics etc., etc.).
6. Single-player experience -- please improve this! For me, CC is not a viable single-player game (much better in this regard is the John Tiller Squad Battles series) and I would love to this fixed. AS is stands, CC offers no real challenge in single-player mode.
Nomada_Firefox

Post by Nomada_Firefox »

I feel that at this moment the end of this game is very close and many of the wish list stuff can not be added.

But yes the CC IA is very bad and with this game, it should be better, at least at the same level from other real tactical games.
Kilovski

Post by Kilovski »

I think Nomada_Firefox might be right, but one thing I would like to see is...If this is a feature in the game.... that the AI will use any airstrikes/mortar barrages/artillery barrages assigned to it. One of my gripes with the CC5 based games and rereleases was the AI not using any of these assets, or only occasionally...Actually I'll post this in the gateway to Caen forum as well, probably way to late though. What does anyone in Matrix think of this, is it posible? [&:]
Kanov

Post by Kanov »

Instead of fixed type of teams and gear, how about having an "official" set of teams (based on rigorous research on TO&E and OOB and team composition data) and then with a randomizer, have them be equipped with slightly different gear.

For example, you set in game composition of official German half squad circa summer 1942 as being 1xNCO + 5xRifle men (not accurate just an example). Then you have the game give them gear based on a percentage like, there's 40% probability the NCO is carrying an MP40 50% he's carrying a Kar98k and 10% he's carrying a pistol, another percentage for his headgear 80% helmet, 20% officer cap and then another percentage to choose an available skin for each headgear (webbed helmet, helmet with branches, cammo helmet etc), torso and legs can also be included in this variating of skins. Likewise with the rest of the team as a whole or treat each soldier within the team individually.

These randomizers are only used when the team is being "created" that is, chosen for the first time. The way the team looks and what weapons it carries stay the same way after having been chosen, if one soldier is killed then the process repeats itself with the replacement that the team is going to receive (if any)

Percentages can be set in numerous ways: as per type of unit (Rifle units gets this set of randomizers), per each unit individually (PzGren 41(late) gets this set of randomizers), per platoon (infantry platoon gets this set of rand.) and so on, per experience (if experience 0 to 3 use this set of randomizers, if 4 to 6 use this other) etc, you get the idea.

These percentage should be, of course, accessible to modders.

You can expand this to vehicles, kind of like the variating sherman skins in PitF but better and with out messing with German vehicles skins.

I think this will do wonders for variation and re-playability.

I read that the latest Combat Mission uses this system of "rarity" within squads for the skins and weapons. Anyone that has it can confirm it and what you think of it?
Hard-core Spectre
SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

Kanov,

The current plan (subject to change) is that there will be some customization options that become available as you go through the campaign -- a second BAR for a US rifle squad, an extra SMG, etc. The player will get to pick which team gets the upgrade. In other situations a specific soldier can earn an award/bonus by achieving something noteworthy, and this may include a weapon. For example, causing X enemy casualties in one battle with your rifle might award a sharpshooter title, and a scoped rifle.

Steve
Kanov

Post by Kanov »

OK thanks, that sounds interesting.

Any info on how the soldiers are going to look like? and how is that going to function? like:

-Are the uniforms static or dynamic? how are they going to function, either way?
-Will the skins of weapons and uniforms be moddable? can we add new ones?

Cheers.
Hard-core Spectre
Nomada_Firefox

Post by Nomada_Firefox »

Will the skins of weapons and uniforms be moddable? can we add new ones?
He has sayed many times that we will be able edit the textures. If we can edit textures, we can edit the weapons and uniforms.

But the key continue being if we can edit the models. If we can not edit the models or to add new models or replace the originals, the moddable capabilities from the game will down to zero.
TIK

Post by TIK »

ORIGINAL: Steve McClaire

Kanov,

The current plan (subject to change) is that there will be some customization options that become available as you go through the campaign -- a second BAR for a US rifle squad, an extra SMG, etc. The player will get to pick which team gets the upgrade. In other situations a specific soldier can earn an award/bonus by achieving something noteworthy, and this may include a weapon. For example, causing X enemy casualties in one battle with your rifle might award a sharpshooter title, and a scoped rifle.

Steve

Very interesting [:)]

Quick question. If one member of a rifle squad got a sniper rifle, and he killed an enemy soldier, would the game call out the kill as if it was a regular kill, or as if a sniper had made the kill?
I have a Youtube Channel that features Close Combat and Panzer Corps Let's Plays and videos, as well as historical documentaries.
SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

ORIGINAL: TIK
Very interesting [:)]

Quick question. If one member of a rifle squad got a sniper rifle, and he killed an enemy soldier, would the game call out the kill as if it was a regular kill, or as if a sniper had made the kill?

Right now I think that 'special' soldier will be broken out into a sniper team of his own. This will cause the 'Sniper!' voice cue to play when he makes a kill. If he's part of a regular rifle squad, it won't.

Steve
SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

ORIGINAL: Kanov
-Are the uniforms static or dynamic? how are they going to function, either way?
-Will the skins of weapons and uniforms be moddable? can we add new ones?

Yes, you will be able to modify uniform textures. The point of view is similar to existing CC, though. So the soldiers are fairly small and you won't be able to see small details on a uniform in most cases.

Steve
Kilovski

Post by Kilovski »

@Steve McClaire,
Question for you re a previous post about barrages etc. Will the game have airstrikes/mortar/artillery barrages etc? If so, will the AI actually use these assets at its disposal. In CC5 for example, the AI playing as the Americans hardly if ever used any naval or mortor barrages or airstrikes to support its troops on the beach. Just a tad aggravating!
Kanov

Post by Kanov »

ORIGINAL: Steve McClaire

Yes, you will be able to modify uniform textures. The point of view is similar to existing CC, though. So the soldiers are fairly small and you won't be able to see small details on a uniform in most cases.

Steve

Interesting. I was forming my own opinion that being 3D this title was going to have an even more zoomed in view.

Do you know if textures are going to be affected by weather? like if it is snowing will the game choose other pattern?
Is weather a real factor this time? I'm not talking only vehicles but on soldiers too. I really liked CC3 ability to change uniforms between season but found it did a poor job of really depicting the hardships of a blizzard for soldiers as winter gear only affected them visually, they performed the same as in summer IMO. Oddly vehicles did get affected and would "freeze" if not winter equipped during a blizzard.

More wishes:
-Variable seamless zoom. From as far as current titles to be able to go to a single soldier and zoom in until you see his pupil. I'm going to the extreme but you get the idea. All this with a nice seamless transition between views. (think of Homeworld)
-Visually representation of lost weapons on the battlefield. When a soldier is killed you can see his weapon dropped on the floor until someone picks it up or battle ends.
-Tank riders
-Dead soldiers stay on map until continuous battle is over on that map. Grimm I know but could add immersion.
-Could it be much to ask for rag-doll physics?
-Re-think the transport vehicles. I don't want to waste a unit slot to choose a truck or a jeep, but at the same time I want to play with them for once. Maybe give a free transport when you choose an Armored/PzGrenadiere unit? lots of work arounds. I want to have the cake and eat it too regarding transports [:D]
-On-battlemap ammo dumps for defenders. Ammo carrying ability for transports.
-Share ammo between members of a team.
-Better quality control for weapon/map/vehicle data, more consistency.
-Real sloped armor, real world ballistics and such.
Hard-core Spectre
SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

ORIGINAL: Kanov
Interesting. I was forming my own opinion that being 3D this title was going to have an even more zoomed in view.

Do you know if textures are going to be affected by weather? like if it is snowing will the game choose other pattern?
Is weather a real factor this time? I'm not talking only vehicles but on soldiers too. I really liked CC3 ability to change uniforms between season but found it did a poor job of really depicting the hardships of a blizzard for soldiers as winter gear only affected them visually, they performed the same as in summer IMO. Oddly vehicles did get affected and would "freeze" if not winter equipped during a blizzard...

Thanks for your thoughts. The theaters for The Bloody First are Tunisia, Sicily, and Normandy. So there won't be snow or snow uniforms. Other types of weather may be in.

Some other comments:

The zoom system in the new engine is done via the camera in the 3D engine, so it can be set to any arbitrary level between the minimum and maximum camera heights. The minimum height will get you a closer look than the existing engine, but you will not be able to get right down to ground level. Lost weapons are also a little small to be easily visible. They're tied to the soldier who was carrying them, ala the existing game.

There will be ragdolls for when a soldier is hit. :)

Steve
Kilovski

Post by Kilovski »

@Steve McClair, will ye get back to me about the AI and use of barrages/airstrikes etc
Kanov

Post by Kanov »

Thanks for responding Steve, all that info is very interesting.

Now I await for some screens and gameplay footage.
Hard-core Spectre
Miro

Post by Miro »

My wish list:

1. The sound of engine vehicle
2. Order "Reversing" for all vehicles
Nomada_Firefox

Post by Nomada_Firefox »

ORIGINAL: Ivan Zaitzev

First let me say that I'm really excited about this game. For what I have seen everyone would be happy if you drop GWTC and concentrate all your efforts in this one. Now, the game is going to be 3D but top down only? I really hope not. If you are going 3D then give us a free camera.
If you had checked the answers from Steve, you would see how the game has a zoom, you can change the height from the view. The unique thing that it can not make it, it is rotate the camera but I think that it is not neccesary and it would give probably many problems with less powerful graphic cards.
Kanov

Post by Kanov »

ORIGINAL: Miro

My wish list:

1. The sound of engine vehicle
2. Order "Reversing" for all vehicles

Sound would be nice.

You can already reverse, just use move or sneak order on a short distance behind the tank. It will keep its front fixed.

I would add these, some of them already presented by other members of the community:

3.- Tank tracks prints on terrain. Different texture for different terrain.
4.- Buttonned/unbottoned vehicles. Buttoned = less visibility, more protection for crew. Unbuttoned = more visibility, less protection. Unbuttoned commanders could potentially be picked out by snipers or shrapnel from an explosion. (this was planned way back in CC4 btw, but canceled for unknown reasons)
5.- For unbuttoned tanks (M10 f.e.) or vehicles (halftracks,artillery) it would be nice if we could see the soldiers manning the equipment, not just standing there or non-existent.
6.- Modular damage to tanks. Thrown tracks are already there, but lets see damaged optics, traversing turret damage, engine failure etc.
7.- A way to order them to use certain ammo against certain targets or ordering them to not engage certain targets.
8.- "Abandon" command. (for vehicles and artillery guns. Mortars too). No sense to keep a veteran crew on an immobile tank/vehicle/gun that faces certain destruction for example.
9.-Turrets can be blown away if a powerful enough explosion occurs.
10.- If the camouflage command is carried away from GtC, I would like it to be a visual representation in the form of leaves or cammo nets etc fixed to the tank.
Hard-core Spectre
Kilovski

Post by Kilovski »

Good points Kanov, especially 7 & 8

Return to “Close Combat – The Bloody First”